Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

2013 Abarth - Shifter cable bushing fails at transmission

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mecheng
    • Oct 2015

**Edited for clarity**

I was planning this go the route of heim joints and modifying the arms to remove the balls and use bolts rather than spend $230 on the shifter assembly but my transmission started slipping out of third gear so I decided to avoid Chrysler of Canada denying a warranty repair on the grounds that I put an aftermarket part onto the tranny. Here's some pics of the pathetic bushings:

Seriously. This is completely unacceptable. I also think that installation was to blame, after removing it from the ball joint, the bushing housing's relaxed position was 90-degrees to what it should be, which is to say the bushing should have been threaded an extra 90-degrees on the rod. This put an inordinate amount of stress on the rubber and once it heated/cooled a few times in that spot it finally sh!t the bed. God I can't wait to sell this car.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mecheng; 01-11-2017, 06:45 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• BigDaddySRT
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by mecheng
      My transmission started slipping out of third gear so I decided to avoid Chrysler of Canada denying a warranty repair on the grounds that I put an aftermarket part onto the tranny. Here's some pics of the pathetic bushings:

Seriously. This is completely unacceptable. I also think that installation was to blame, after removing it from the ball joint, the bushing housing's relaxed position was 90-degrees to what it should be, which is to say the bushing should have been threaded an extra 90-degrees on the rod. This put an inordinate amount of stress on the rubber and once it heated/cooled a few times in that spot it finally sh!t the bed. God I can't wait to sell this car.
      You installed an aftermarket Shifter/ ****ty adapter and you knew that FCA wouldn't repair the car under warranty... way to go!!!
      2023 DODGE Durango R/T - HEMI Orange
      Pitch Black, 8 Speed ZF, Fully Optioned

"I thought you had a HEMI. Yeah, I had to have a footprint gas pedal installed. So I stole this pile."

2013 500 ABARTH
      Nero

2014 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, 2nd G Street
      2015, 2016, 2017, 2018,2021 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, Champion E Prepared
      2022 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, 3rd Place, Extreme Street B (NEON ACR Coupe)

Comment

• mecheng
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by BigDaddySRT
        You installed an aftermarket Shifter/ ****ty adapter and you knew that FCA wouldn't repair the car under warranty... way to go!!!
        I see now that my original post was unclear. I was contemplating buying heim joints and modifying the arms to remove the balls and use bolts instead (much cheaper than buying the whole shift linkage assembly for two bushings); however, before I could get to doing it the tranny started slipping. Obviously if I went with the modified linkage and brought the car in for repair they could have cited that adjustment as grounds to deny the claim. So instead I bit the bullet and bought the whole linkage.

Comment

• Birdseyeview
          • Feb 2016

I shot a home video of changing one of the hyme joint bushings. Here is the link:

Comment

• mecheng
            • Oct 2015

And what annoys me most is the fact that the replacement bushing I got isn't even the updated part with the new green over-moulding on the smaller of the two bushings as seen in the above video. Balls.

Comment

• Loring
              • Jan 2016

It's normal for shift cables to generate a small amount of twist after some usage. The cables are twisted steel, so after some tension over time, the 'stretch' shows itself as 'twist'. For non threaded cable ends (automatics, typically), we recommend replacing the cable if there's more than 45° of twist. This isn't the case with threaded ends which can be adjusted for.
              Ascension Engineering - Creators of BushingFix.com

Comment

• mecheng
                • Oct 2015

So by this logic we (or the dealership) are expected to inspect and adjust these bushings periodically? Seems unnecessarily labor intensive...

Comment

• Loring
                  • Jan 2016

No, that wasn't the argument I was making. The OEM bushings fail even on vehicles without cable twist. During service with our repair kit, adjust it out, where possible. No big deal.

Comment

• aelfwyne
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Loring
                    No, that wasn't the argument I was making. The OEM bushings fail even on vehicles without cable twist. During service with our repair kit, adjust it out, where possible. No big deal.
                    Did you guys ever release the revised Manual Trans Abarth bushing you were talking about? I seem to remember there was a problem with the initial design and you had to redo it, delaying availability.
                    2015 Rosso Abarth - MAD FIAT - 5 Speed - Phase 2
                    2015 Granito Lucente 500T - Proyecto Estupido (Salvage) - Auto - OFT Stage 1
                    2017 Fiat 124 Classica 6MT - WHUT????

Comment

• metahpor
                      • Jan 2017

Hi, I'm in dire and ugent need to have the bushing replaced. I see on your website that the FM1 has been made unavailable, can you still sell one? Thank you very much.

Comment

• Loring
                        • Jan 2016

We've got the FM1 bushings in stock, but we've only got the side to side cable. Just to avoid confusion, we've taken them down until we have model specific, complete kits. If you've got a failed side to side bushing out, contact us via the website and we'll get you set up. Abarth up/down kits will be in hand in a month or two, and non-abarth up/down kits are about ~3 months out.

Comment

• Thunderbolt
                          • Apr 2012

We've got the FM1 bushings in stock, but we've only got the side to side cable. Just to avoid confusion, we've taken them down until we have model specific, complete kits. If you've got a failed side to side bushing out, contact us via the website and we'll get you set up. Abarth up/down kits will be in hand in a month or two, and non-abarth up/down kits are about ~3 months out.
                          Looking forward to a complete Abarth kit. Want to have a set of spare bushings in the garage before I actually need them.
                          500Crew.com - Fiat 500 Club in the Vancouver, BC area

Comment

• Klasse Act
                            • Apr 2014

I just found this thread this evening because I believe my shifter cable or bushing failed, shifter was wobbling all over the place and I believe I was in 3rd gear on the freeway coming home, doing 55 mph I was around 3K. I'm having the car towed to the dealership tomorrow morning and I guess I'll have to wait and see what they say. I'm at 40K so the car is out of warranty and I really don't want the car sitting there for a week while they have to order the cable, if that's what it is and it sure seems like it, the busing inparticular, so I wonder if they'll just zip tie it and let me take my car and come back when the part is in and then replace the cable or just use the bushing off of the new cable, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the knowledge in this thread and for an aftermarket fix. Once I get my car back and find out what the actual failure was I'm going to order the upgrade and have my buddy replace it, can't seem to tryst OEM I guess.
                            2013 500 Abarth/Nero metallic...traded in.

Comment

• nyc eng
                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Klasse Act
                              I just found this thread this evening because I believe my shifter cable or bushing failed, shifter was wobbling all over the place and I believe I was in 3rd gear on the freeway coming home, doing 55 mph I was around 3K. I'm having the car towed to the dealership tomorrow morning and I guess I'll have to wait and see what they say. I'm at 40K so the car is out of warranty and I really don't want the car sitting there for a week while they have to order the cable, if that's what it is and it sure seems like it, the busing inparticular, so I wonder if they'll just zip tie it and let me take my car and come back when the part is in and then replace the cable or just use the bushing off of the new cable, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the knowledge in this thread and for an aftermarket fix. Once I get my car back and find out what the actual failure was I'm going to order the upgrade and have my buddy replace it, can't seem to tryst OEM I guess.

Factory warranty is 4yr / 50,000 miles
                              [12] Abarth | [04] Z06 | [06] CBR600RR

Comment

• Klasse Act
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by nyc eng
                                Factory warranty is 4yr / 50,000 miles
                                Damn, how did I miss this!
                                2013 500 Abarth/Nero metallic...traded in.

Comment