500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High Speed Driving

Thanks

High Speed Driving

I drive 1000-1300 miles a week commuting to and from work
    My Celica is finally dead. I need some new wheels and I'm drawn to the Fiat. It seems I just have to be different than other people in everything I do. In this case I could get a Scion or Civic, but these little Fiats are so darn cool looking .I just want the cheapest Pop w auto (so my wife can drive it)

So how do these short wheelbase cars handle long roads at 70 to 85mph?
    I would think they could rip up the Almafi Coast without effort, but I can see myself being blown all over in a crosswind on the Garden State Parkway on my nightly race home too.

Thanks for looking at this post.
    I hope to be yapping about my new car here when I go out Monday night with a down payment and a prayer

Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Welcome to the forum.

I have never ridden in a Pop but I owned a Sport and now an Abarth and they handle fine at higher speeds and on multiple road surfaces.

The Pop has a softer suspension but it should work well for you, if not it isn't terribly costly to change the suspension, several have just went with the Abarth setup that people sale when they upgrade the Abarth OEM offerings.

Rest In Peace
    Thanks
    I support Tweak's answer about the handling of these cars at higher speeds. I probably spend as much time on highways as anybody on this forum and I can attest to the same, the 500's are solid and stable. You can run 80 to 85 all day, but you might not prefer to drive so slow. Your first experience on the highway with the short wheelbase will let you know that they are quick to respond but in a few minutes you will be acclimated to the feel. After 50,000 miles in my Sport and then 500T it doesn't even feel like a short wheelbase to me.

The wind is never a factor to me as well. Welcome to the forum and good luck in your choice. Just wait until you're on a 2-lane country road in the Fiat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 888 Posts
    Lots of highway miles especially with some nasty weather and have had zero issues in regards to stability at those speeds. I think youll be very happy.

2012-FIAT ABARTH
    2015-ALFA ROMEO 4C
    2016-VOLVO V60 POLESTAR
    EUROCOMPULSION STORE
    “THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN.”

Thanks
    I use the interstate to get between areas of town more quickly. You could say I have a lead foot... speeds of 80+ the car remains remarkably stable. Even more so now that I have my Eibach Sportlines and sway bar installed. But in my Sport and now the Abarth I had no issue with stock suspension.

Thanks
    Not a problem with the Abarth and 75+ on the interstate. High gusty winds, you do notice some slight body roll, but nothing that cannot be managed. I commute with 18 wheelers everyday and never feel uncomfortable about it.
    2013 Abarth Blanco
    2011 Ducati Monster 696 Stone White

Thanks
    Completely stable at any speed. If a car's wheelbase makes you uncomfortable, remember, it can be much worse. Imagine having to drive this:
    Owner of "Bianca" the Bianco 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Humming along at 86,XXX miles
    If you people don't want my help, then I'll just take my good looks and country pork rinds back to the bus stop!

My commute is 600 miles a week and 95% highway at speeds of 65-80. I love my 500 Sport. It is my favorite of all of the cars I have owned in a long list- including 2 BMWs and a Porsche.
    2013 500 Turbo Grigio 23K Miles (Mine)
    2013 500 Sport 5 Speed Bianco Perla 8K Miles (Hers)

Thanks
    I drive Highway every work day.

Usually i am between 74-80mph.

Once i get passed 75mph i do have noticeable buffeting which gets worse if there are high winds. The shape is classic, but not so aerodynamic.

I also notice some vibration from the wheel, as if the car is going over tiny ripples in the road. That could be my 'issue' though.

TOM...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 772 Posts
    This car does awesome in a cross-wind. Took our Prima out to Vegas last year, and no problem passing semi's even with a cross-wind in the mix. The car feels well planted all the way up through 90mph. While I haven't taken our prima passed that, I have taken the abarth up through top of 5th gear on a big track. Solid as a rock. Even my GTI 337 was more prone to crosswinds and passing semi's than the Prima/Sport.
    http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=509&dateline=14328366  62
    RAW Big Turbo, tuned to 250+whp on p93
    LSD, FX400, Okadas, 550cc, ported t-mani
    NightOwl Racing BC Racing with SWIFT Spring Suspension set up
    ATM FMIC, ATM Fenderwell Intake
    VanHook CF Rear Diff, doorhandles, hood vents and duct covers
    Advan RSII 17x7.5, rally stud conversion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast