500 Madness

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: CEL: Check Engine Light Codes and Info

Thanks
    most knock sensors are tuned piezo electric elements. the element doesn't have continuity as far as i know but it appears they have a shunt resistor in these things that may be for the purpose of making a "circuit" test easy to do or to keep voltage spikes released from the crystal from damaging the ecu. it looks like from that info and what i know about the sensor that it can't be triggered by knock. so to the dealer i will go. they'll probably give me a run around but it could be an internal ECU problem. so even though it's a $12 part and i can test the circuit better than they can i guess i'm gonna do the dance just incase it's an ecu or harness problem i can't fix.
    Last edited by dart1.4t; 07-06-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Thanks
    Had a P0299 thrown when driving off from the FreakOut recently. I was pissed because we had just received a death in the family phone call, we were at the Port Jeff ferry on our way to NH, we needed to make decisions, etc. and the effing code was thrown halfway through CT. Pulled over, read the code (turbo underboost) and started calling dealers in the area. One told me "tomorrow" (not gonna work) but suggested one in Springfield, Mass., more or less on our way. Finally found the shop, read the code and was told by the Fiat mechanic that "these engines are picky" and do this sometimes. Usually caused by dirty air filter, etc. but the car only had 8k miles so that wasn't likely it. They reset the code and off we went. No code since. In the future, I'll reset it on my own before getting service - if it recurs I'll take it in.
    Jeff Guerdat

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    1970 Fiat 850 Spider
    2016 Cadillac ATS-V 6 speed manual

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jguerdat View Post
    Had a P0299 thrown when driving off from the FreakOut recently. I was pissed because we had just received a death in the family phone call, we were at the Port Jeff ferry on our way to NH, we needed to make decisions, etc. and the effing code was thrown halfway through CT. Pulled over, read the code (turbo underboost) and started calling dealers in the area. One told me "tomorrow" (not gonna work) but suggested one in Springfield, Mass., more or less on our way. Finally found the shop, read the code and was told by the Fiat mechanic that "these engines are picky" and do this sometimes. Usually caused by dirty air filter, etc. but the car only had 8k miles so that wasn't likely it. They reset the code and off we went. No code since. In the future, I'll reset it on my own before getting service - if it recurs I'll take it in.
    I am sorry about the death in your family.

Thanks
    I got P0299 at about 6000 miles. Here's what my invoice states (verbatim):

Checked and found stored trouble code P0299-00 Turbo Charger Under Boost. Looked for code on dealer connect and code is not present no diagnostic procedure. Opened Star Case for stored P0299-00 and Star responded with diagnostic procedure. Had to check the turbo charger poppet gap. Diagnosis removed turbo bracket, removed turbo heat shield, raised vehicle and removed underbodyshield, removed 4 bolts from the catalytic converter, mount bracket (L- shaped) removed 2 nuts from the catalytic converter flex pipe lowered vehicle and removed v-band from turbine housing to catalytic converter union. Pulled catalytic converter to the side to expose the inner turbine housing and wastegate poppet. With feeler gauge 90 degree with range .003-0.25. Insert the feeler gauge between the poppet and poppet seat at the 6-7 o clock position to checked clearance. Found the largest feeler gauge to go in with the less resistance to be .011. If gap is over .009 turbocharger needs to be replaced. Followed Tech Connect procedure to replace turbo charger.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 500000 For This Useful Post:

jguerdat (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks for this. I'll be watching for more codes (none yet with maybe 1500 miles) and will talk to service about this.
    Jeff Guerdat

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    1970 Fiat 850 Spider
    2016 Cadillac ATS-V 6 speed manual

Thanks
    Glad to see I have all this company concerning check engine light issues. The car is one of the early builds, and seems like I am always at the dealer. Here is the list of items that had to be fixed. Early on it was not mechanical, but now the problems seem to be mechanical and I am at 24K miles into my Forward Care Pkg wondering if it would be best to trade in for a newer model or buy an extended warranty:

Shift knob came apart (this happened before 10K miles)
    Early on (like 5K miles) thought the car was loosing oil (did a 1200 mile check with the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong; problem seemed to clear up on its own.
    7/13/13: At 24K, rear main seal had to be replaced - car in shop nearly a week
    At same visit, shifter boot was replaced due to it coming detached from gear box
    Fiat also replaces front/rear emblems "due to air bubbles" at this visit
    7/24/13: Car returned to dealer as they had scratched the driver's side door during the repair. The door was buffed out and sealed, but I can still see it
    8/14/13: Check engine light; Code on receipt says "stored fault codes P1523 and P106A found one TSB #18-014-12 for this condition need reprogram PCM module with new software.
    8/20/2013: Check engine light comes on again! Drove car to almost 1/8th of tank and put in Chevron Techron. Light disappears. Think problems are over and then drove it down to 1/4 tank today and light comes back on. After filling with Techron again, the light goes off hours later. I thought it was the fuel but now I don't know. I have always run the car on 91 but been using Sams Club since I have a long commute. If I knew for sure it was just the gas I would happily continue using the Techron but now I am not so sure, and maybe I need to take the car in yet again
    I'm driving a Verde Chiaro Fiat Sport, with manual transmission, Safety/Convenience & Safety/Sound packages, power sunroof, Forward Care package. Always run on Premium gas. Car purchased 12/30/11, Orange Coast Fiat, Costa Mesa, CA.

Thanks
    Learned a lot about codes since last time I posted. Last car I owned was a 2005 and never knew it had an OBD system. Anyway, so 2 codes blew (see earlier post) since I had picked up the car from the last time (less than a week after I got it back from the dealer for the 1st code blowing experience). A co-worker happens to have bought himself a code reader and brought it in to help me out. The codes blown are P1066 which is a OBDII code specific to Fiat. All I can find out about this one is: "intake manifold air control solenoid short to positive." The second code that blew is P106A. since this is also a Fiat specific code, I was unable to locate a website that had any info on what this code is. The car is going back to the dealership tomorrow morning for all of this. When I get the info on what exactly these codes mean, I will post back here. I am thinking probably a good time to invest in this code reader. The one he got (Pocket Scan CP9125 by Actron) was normally $200 and on sale at Autozone for $50. But you can currently get it on Amazon.com for same price.
    I'm driving a Verde Chiaro Fiat Sport, with manual transmission, Safety/Convenience & Safety/Sound packages, power sunroof, Forward Care package. Always run on Premium gas. Car purchased 12/30/11, Orange Coast Fiat, Costa Mesa, CA.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent P For This Useful Post:

VTEC Mini (08-30-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent P View Post
    Learned a lot about codes since last time I posted. Last car I owned was a 2005 and never knew it had an OBD system. Anyway, so 2 codes blew (see earlier post) since I had picked up the car from the last time (less than a week after I got it back from the dealer for the 1st code blowing experience). A co-worker happens to have bought himself a code reader and brought it in to help me out. The codes blown are P1066 which is a OBDII code specific to Fiat. All I can find out about this one is: "intake manifold air control solenoid short to positive." The second code that blew is P106A. since this is also a Fiat specific code, I was unable to locate a website that had any info on what this code is. The car is going back to the dealership tomorrow morning for all of this. When I get the info on what exactly these codes mean, I will post back here. I am thinking probably a good time to invest in this code reader. The one he got (Pocket Scan CP9125 by Actron) was normally $200 and on sale at Autozone for $50. But you can currently get it on Amazon.com for same price.
    WOW! Thats a good price! Thanks for the info!

Thanks
    My Abarth has a code P0299. Thanks for your report. I tried to call my studio, but the Fiat service rep was off today. Stopped by our local studio service and was asked if the Abarth had a turbo? Think I'll call Sweeney Fiat in the morning.

Exclamation

RoadRace Motorsports
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
    My Abarth has a code P0299. Thanks for your report. I tried to call my studio, but the Fiat service rep was off today. Stopped by our local studio service and was asked if the Abarth had a turbo? Think I'll call Sweeney Fiat in the morning.
    Here is some info on the P0299 code:

P0299-TURBOCHARGER UNDERBOOST CONDITION

Theory of Operation
    The base Turbocharger boost pressure is managed by the mechanical Wastegate. The Wastegate is a mechanical valve that, when opened, allows exhaust gases to flow around the turbine. The Wastegate is spring loaded in the closed position. Boost pressure is applied to a diaphragm that works against the spring pressure of the Wastegate. When the force created by the boost pressure exceeds the spring force in the Wastegate, the valve opens. This limits boost pressure by limiting the speed of the Turbocharger. Boost pressure is applied against the spring pressure of the Wastegate to control the speed of the Turbocharger. The Wastegate Solenoid is Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) by the PCM and is located between the compressor and mechanical Wastegate. When opened by the PCM, the Wastegate Solenoid bleeds boost pressure away from the mechanical wastegate, this allows the PCM to increase boost pressure to a level higher than would be allowed by the mechanical wastegate alone. The system operates as follows; boost pressure is supplied to the Wastegate Solenoid through a hose connected to the compressor side of the Turbocharger. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) varies the PWM signal to the Wastegate Solenoid to control the amount of boost pressure applied against the Wastegate. When more boost pressure is needed, the Wastegate Solenoid will direct more of the boost pressure to the clean air tube upstream of the Turbocharger and less against the Wastegate spring.

When Monitored:
    With the engine running and DTCs P0033, P0034, P0035, P0237, P0238, P0299, P006C, P006D, P012B, P1185, P2261, P2262 are not present.
    Set Condition:
    The PCM detects that the difference between the Boost Pressure Sensor desired value minus the actual reading is above a calibrated value for the driving conditions.

Possible Causes
    RESTRICTED AIR FILTER
    BOOST SYSTEM PRESSURE HOSES RESTRICTED OR LEAKING
    SMALL INTAKE SYSTEM LEAK OR RESTRICTION
    EXHAUST SYSTEM RESTRICTION
    WASTEGATE SOLENOID
    WASTEGATE VALVE STICKING
    TURBOCHARGER (DRAGGING TURBINE)

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

MarkG (09-06-2013)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast