No need to worry about revs. This is an Italian engine. See below:
    AWESOME video! Thanks for sharing!
    Haydee
    New Happy Driver of 2016 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Giallo Moderna Perla
    Scorpion package
    17-inch wheels

Thanks
    I switch back and forth between my wife's manual transmission PT Cruiser and our auto transmission 2014 Fiat 500 Sport. My previous car was a manual transmission Chrysler Neon.
    The Fiat is the first auto transmission car I've driven regularly since the late 1970s, and I do a fair amount of manual shifting in the Fiat.
    It is necessary to adjust one's approach, but the clue to me that says I should often shift at higher revs in the Fiat is how eagerly the car surges ahead when the revs get up. I swear that engine is happier when those revs are higher.
    Also, if you drive the car in Auto mode, it is not uncommon for it to do a fair amount of shifting around 4000 RPM. The car is designed for that.
    And if you switch to Sport mode, the auto transmission really likes the higher revs.

Premium Member Southernroadrunner's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlita View Post
    Wow! This definitely describes me! I have had my 2016 Abarth for only a couple weeks and shift around 2000 - 2500 rpm. Also feel it's straining at the low gears.

Hopefully, with more experience, I will find the right sweet spot.
    But yellow cars are faster aren't they
    2015 Abarth (Gray)
    ADVAN- RSII 17x7.5 WHEELS WITH ADVAN YOKAHAMA-AD08R 215/40/17 TIRES
    EUROCOMPULSION
    - V4.1 AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM / TORQUE SOLUTIONS BOV
    EIBACH - SPORTLINES WITH KONI SHOCKS / ENERGY SUSPENSION- REAR THIN ISOLATORS
    MADNESS - HOOD LIFT KIT /
    FIATTECH
    - TROFEO FRONT SPOILER
    CORSA FORZA - REAR TORSION BAR / PROSPORT-BOOST GUAGE/DIY-REAR SEAT DELETE

!!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

Thanks
    A quick Google search yielded this definition of rev matching:

Rev matching is used when down-shifting to smooth the transition between gears, and prevent shock loads through the transmission. It's a useful skill for the road and track for both cars and motorcycles.
    drivingfast.net

This definition doesn't really help this newbie. What is meant by "smooth the transition between gears"? Reduce acceleration until I reach the targeted rpms for the lower gear?

What about when shifting to a higher gear? Rev the engine until reaching the targeted rpms?

I apologize if the answer to this question should be obvious. It's been a long time since I drove a manual and my Abarth has more horsepower than any car I have ever driven. So I want to be sure I get it right. Thanks!
    Haydee
    Giallo Moderna Perla
    Scorpion package
    17-inch wheels

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlita View Post
    A quick Google search yielded this definition of rev matching:

Rev matching is used when down-shifting to smooth the transition between gears, and prevent shock loads through the transmission. It's a useful skill for the road and track for both cars and motorcycles.
    drivingfast.net

This definition doesn't really help this newbie. What is meant by "smooth the transition between gears"? Reduce acceleration until I reach the targeted rpms for the lower gear?

What about when shifting to a higher gear? Rev the engine until reaching the targeted rpms?

I apologize if the answer to this question should be obvious. It's been a long time since I drove a manual and my Abarth has more horsepower than any car I have ever driven. So I want to be sure I get it right. Thanks!
    When you downshift, the revs go up. The synchromesh gears will work to do this for you, but if the downshift is too abrupt the strain on the synchromesh and the rest of the transmission is more than optimum.
    To match revs when downshifting, you depress the clutch, shift down, add slight pressure to the accelerator pedal to bring the engine revs up and then release the clutch to connect everything up again.
    The "match revs" part is that bit of extra accelerator pedal.
    Just like any operation of a manual transmission, it sounds harder to do than it actually is.
    One complicating factor is that sometimes you are also using the brakes. While it may sometimes seem that you don't have enough feet to do everything necessary, the people who who regularly race their cars can probably tell you about some of the techniques (e.g. heel and toe) that make it easy to include the brake pedal as well.
    You will know you have a handle on this when you get home after a fairly demanding drive and realize that you cannot remember anything specific about how you shifted gears - it was just done instinctively. That will likely happen sooner than you expect.
    Statistically, I bet those who drive a "stick" are much less likely to get tickets for texting while driving .

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mlkfiat For This Useful Post:

Carlita (11-06-2017), WillFiat (11-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkfiat View Post
    When you downshift, the revs go up. The synchromesh gears will work to do this for you, but if the downshift is too abrupt the strain on the synchromesh and the rest of the transmission is more than optimum.
    To match revs when downshifting, you depress the clutch, shift down, add slight pressure to the accelerator pedal to bring the engine revs up and then release the clutch to connect everything up again.
    The "match revs" part is that bit of extra accelerator pedal.
    Just like any operation of a manual transmission, it sounds harder to do than it actually is.
    One complicating factor is that sometimes you are also using the brakes. While it may sometimes seem that you don't have enough feet to do everything necessary, the people who who regularly race their cars can probably tell you about some of the techniques (e.g. heel and toe) that make it easy to include the brake pedal as well.
    You will know you have a handle on this when you get home after a fairly demanding drive and realize that you cannot remember anything specific about how you shifted gears - it was just done instinctively. That will likely happen sooner than you expect.
    Statistically, I bet those who drive a "stick" are much less likely to get tickets for texting while driving .
    Thanks for the detailed and helpful explanation! I think I get it now.

As for the texting while driving, valid point! :-)
    Haydee
    Giallo Moderna Perla
    Scorpion package
    17-inch wheels

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyPaint View Post
    Lugging the engine is harder on piston rings since the cylinder holds a bigger charge for a longer period of time.
    Actually lugging is hard on the connecting rod bearings. It's been proven majority of engine wear occurs on a dry start (oil is all in the pan and not the engine) since the engine doesn't pre-lubricate, and it takes a few seconds for oil to circulate.

I'm gentle during warm up because everything is expanding, but once up to normal temp, there is nothing wrong with revving the engine....and on the Abarth it is futile to try not too.

2013 Fiat 500c Abarth. Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs, 5% window tint.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4