500 Madness

Thread: Resetting oil change reminder when interval is off

Thanks

Resetting oil change reminder when interval is off

I got away from the prescribed interval for changing the oil.

When the oil change light came on about 1500 miles ago I just went ahead and reset it because the yellow triangle was driving me nuts.

So this weekend I changed the oil and I'm ready to go with the recommended interval instead of my made up schedule.

I performed the maintenance light reset procedures as outlined in the manual (and on this site) but just wanted to make sure this will work without the light being on when I did the reset.

There's no visual clue to let you know you were successful with the reset since the light wasn't on in the first place.

Sorry if this has been covered already, my search only brought up reset instructions and theory as to how the oil change interval is calculated.

Thanks
    Good question! I don't know the answer either.

Premium Member Premium Member SeaDawg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisbonian View Post
    I performed the maintenance light reset procedures as outlined in the manual (and on this site) but just wanted to make sure this will work without the light being on when I did the reset.

There's no visual clue to let you know you were successful with the reset since the light wasn't on in the first place.

Sorry if this has been covered already, my search only brought up reset instructions and theory as to how the oil change interval is calculated.
    Yes it will work. The Service Department at my LS resets mine each time I go in and I NEVER have the light illuminated. I use the 6 month interval and probably don't have 1,500 miles on the oil during that time. Unfortunately unless the LS has some software to determine it, there is no outward indication that it reset if the light isn't lit to start with.

I go in for my 3rd oil change next month.
    Max
    2013 Grigio Abarth

Installed:
    TWM Short Shifter Assy
    Red Leather Shift Boot

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaDawg For This Useful Post:

Bisbonian (10-29-2012)

Thanks
    If you are going for your 3rd oil change and only 4500 miles or so, you cannot say for certain that the oil change indicator has actually been reset. Because, with your driving style, you might be looking at a 8,000 oil change interval based on mileage.

When you hit 8,000 miles and it has not come on, THEN you will know.
    Former - 1971 Fiat 850 Spider
    IT'S HERE - 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Currently in Garage - 2002 E46 M3, 2000 M Roadster, 1995 E36 M3 Lightweight, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Spec Racer Ford

Premium Member Premium Member SeaDawg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    If you are going for your 3rd oil change and only 4500 miles or so, you cannot say for certain that the oil change indicator has actually been reset. Because, with your driving style, you might be looking at a 8,000 oil change interval based on mileage.

When you hit 8,000 miles and it has not come on, THEN you will know.
    You know PC I wish you didn't relish taking the role of a D.A. cross examining a witness so much. I do NOT want to be the 'Oil Guru'. I do try to be helpful when I believe I am giving factual GOOD information, however, if you intend to 'call me out' or back me into a corner each and every time I do so, I shall STOP. I actually have approx. 6,500 miles on my Sport. To satisfy you as to why I have MORE than 4,500 miles...the day after I picked it up (a three hour drive from home) I discovered the driver's side side skirt was damaged. It took three round trips to Sarasota from Orlando to finally resolve it. I also made a roundtrip from Orlando to Savannah Ga..

Again, the reason I speak is because when I went in for my 1st oil change the LS Service Manager told me that when they first started doing oil changes on 500's without the light being illuminated the LS's were advised to NOT reset the oil monitor (because I asked if they reset it). By the time I went in for my 2nd oil change the Service Manager advised me that FIAT/Chrysler had reversed course and told them to reset the oil monitor at EVERY oil change whether the oil change light was illuminated or not.

And NO I don't feel it is necessary to preface what I say with 'so and so at the LS or FIAT/Chrysler CS et al told/advised/stated'.
    Max
    2013 Grigio Abarth

Installed:
    TWM Short Shifter Assy
    Red Leather Shift Boot

Thanks
    Even at 6500 miles on your car, you do not know for SURE that the resetting the oil change indicator when it is not on works. You WILL know in less than 1500 more miles. And please do post what you find.

I hope that it actually works that way, it would make life a lot easier. But until someone has reset it when it was off and driven enough miles that it should have illuminated, we are still guessing.
    Former - 1971 Fiat 850 Spider
    IT'S HERE - 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Currently in Garage - 2002 E46 M3, 2000 M Roadster, 1995 E36 M3 Lightweight, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Spec Racer Ford

Thanks
    RoadRace Motorsports
    Well if nothing else I'll know for sure in a few months and I'll post back with my experience.