500 Madness

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on 2013 Abarth reliability

Thanks

Question on 2013 Abarth reliability

I just ordered an Abarth this past Friday. Decided to join this forum to read more about the car. Looking at this section starting to make me wonder if I should cancel my order. How reliable are the 2013 Abarth? I know 2012 is the first year model for the US. Is the 2013 any better? I really don't want to have to deal with reliability issues on a new car.

Thanks
    My opinion is that the 2013 Abarth, being the 2nd year of production in Mexico, should be just fine. I'm right around 2,000 miles on my 2013 Abarth, and no issues at all. I feel confident that my dealer and the new car warranty will cover anything that comes up, although like any mass produced item from razors to houses, there could always be some issues along the way. I'm in my 50s, have bought cars all my life, and whether it's good advice or not, I always remember a teacher long ago advising us young guys "never buy a car in the first year of production, since they might not have worked out all the bugs yet". While that isn't why I waited to get a 13 Abarth, to me it makes sense generally, but on the other hand the Fiat 500 and Abarth models have been made in Europe for several years.

Any internet forum is a great opportunity for the issues to come to light, and from what I've seen here on this forum, the biggest issue is getting good service from individual dealers and sales folks, which is not a deal breaker for me.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert Nixon For This Useful Post:

catman2130093 (04-02-2014), DanGreco (11-05-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo View Post
    I just ordered an Abarth this past Friday. Decided to join this forum to read more about the car. Looking at this section starting to make me wonder if I should cancel my order. How reliable are the 2013 Abarth? I know 2012 is the first year model for the US. Is the 2013 any better? I really don't want to have to deal with reliability issues on a new car.
    Welcome to the forum!

The first batch of any car is bound to have some issues. But Fiat has implemented procedures that rapidly identify and address these. My own car was built in April, and it is fine. The feeling I get from reading about these issues are most are from early cars or dealer related. Ultimately, you have to decide what you feel comfortable with, but I would suggest reading each forum to get a feel for the car and not just the "Issues and Concerns" forum.

Good luck in what ever you decide!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

The first batch of any car is bound to have some issues. But Fiat has implemented procedures that rapidly identify and address these. My own car was built in April, and it is fine. The feeling I get from reading about these issues are most are from early cars or dealer related. Ultimately, you have to decide what you feel comfortable with, but I would suggest reading each forum to get a feel for the car and not just the "Issues and Concerns" forum.

Good luck in what ever you decide!
    Thanks, I just wanted to get some perspective on current 2012 and 2013 Abarth owners.

Premium Member Premium Member Abarth67's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have one of the earliest cars out there and love it. I have had a few small things pop up but nothing that would deter my enthusiasm for owning one of the coolest, most exclusive affordable cars on the market today. I have yet to hit the first scheduled service but when I do, I have a punch list of things to be fixed, or looked over. As long as these items are addressed, I am a happy Abarth owner.

Thanks
    Can you elaberate on the small things that popped up? I just want to get an idea, thanks!

Thanks
    You should have no worries on a 12 or 13. I mean there have been some known issues to look out out, mostly cosmetic that the dealers have been fixing.

13' has some features that are great over the 12's

the beats audio is worlds better than the bose for instance.
    and another great feature on the 13 is the ability to get real time psi in each tire.

Premium Member Premium Member Abarth67's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hanzo View Post
    Can you elaberate on the small things that popped up? I just want to get an idea, thanks!
    So far, the things I have noticed are
    -lower body trim separating at front corner (known problem)
    -oily film on lower transmission housing (leak?)
    -iPhone no longer plays through stereo (probably an iPhone system issue)

That is about all I can think of right now. The apparent leak has me a little concerned but I am going to give them a chance to fix it before I pass judgement.

Thanks
    I've been reading people with rear main seal leaks and one that needed an engine replacement. I just don't want to have to deal with it since it'll be my only car.

Thanks
    RoadRace Motorsports
    This will be my only car so I am more careful about quality issues since I really don't want to have to deal with trips to and back from the dealership and getting rentals. I was reading about the leak on the transmission and think I probably should cancel my order.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast