500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dont take your 500 thru an Automatic Car Wash

Thanks

Dont take your 500 thru an Automatic Car Wash

I thought i gonna share this with you .... spend the extra Money and have the Fiat Hand washed... Dumb me i now went twice thru an automatic Car Wash.... Guess what twice now them Rollers hit my left lower Control Arm so hard i now have Grease on the left all the Way 2 the Rear Bumber 1st i thought it was Bubble Gum....... than i checked the Clamp on the Cv Joint from a Post earlier...... False Alarm.... my Clamp is tight... Them Rollers at the Car Wash hit that lower left Control Arm so hard it is off Center and Grease is leaking out...... I hope i get it fixed from Fiat under Warranty.... Sorry i would post Pics but i have trouble doing so.... Honestly i worried more about my Wheels than the lower left Control Arm going thru the Auto Wash.......

Lesson learned .... Hand Wash it..... But honestly i worried more about Water leaking in thru the Soft Top. Never ever did i give it a thought that the Rollers in the Car Wash will knock off the lower left Arm just enuff 2 spill Grease.....

ImHO this is a Design flaw from Fiat.....My 500C rides on 16 inch Factory Wheels that i upgraded at the Dealer from the 500 Sport.......

Here we go less than 2k on the Clock and i have 2 fight the Dealer.....

I will keep you posted......on the Out Come...... Honestly i don,t feel Safe driving the Car......

Look i am not bashing Fiat but if the lower Arm is so weak that 2 Knocks will off set it so Grease will spill i wonder about the Rest of the Car.

I love my Fiat..... i treat my Baby just like i do with my Mercedes..... I feel like a Dumb Ass now taking the 500 thru an Automatic Car Wash......

Can be a lower Arm that weak anybody else out there with the same Problem....

Thanks
    Why would this be a warranty issue?

File a claim against the car wash place, it was their equipment that damaged the car.
    Former - 1971 Fiat 850 Spider
    IT'S HERE - 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Currently in Garage - 2002 E46 M3, 2000 M Roadster, 1995 E36 M3 Lightweight, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Spec Racer Ford

Premium Member Premium Member cmj912's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
    I thought i gonna share this with you .... spend the extra Money and have the Fiat Hand washed... Dumb me i now went twice thru an automatic Car Wash.... Guess what twice now them Rollers hit my left lower Control Arm so hard i now have Grease on the left all the Way 2 the Rear Bumber 1st i thought it was Bubble Gum....... than i checked the Clamp on the Cv Joint from a Post earlier...... False Alarm.... my Clamp is tight... Them Rollers at the Car Wash hit that lower left Control Arm so hard it is off Center and Grease is leaking out...... I hope i get it fixed from Fiat under Warranty.... Sorry i would post Pics but i have trouble doing so.... Honestly i worried more about my Wheels than the lower left Control Arm going thru the Auto Wash.......

Lesson learned .... Hand Wash it..... But honestly i worried more about Water leaking in thru the Soft Top. Never ever did i give it a thought that the Rollers in the Car Wash will knock off the lower left Arm just enuff 2 spill Grease.....

ImHO this is a Design flaw from Fiat.....My 500C rides on 16 inch Factory Wheels that i upgraded at the Dealer from the 500 Sport.......

Here we go less than 2k on the Clock and i have 2 fight the Dealer.....

I will keep you posted......on the Out Come...... Honestly i don,t feel Safe driving the Car......

Look i am not bashing Fiat but if the lower Arm is so weak that 2 Knocks will off set it so Grease will spill i wonder about the Rest of the Car.

I love my Fiat..... i treat my Baby just like i do with my Mercedes..... I feel like a Dumb Ass now taking the 500 thru an Automatic Car Wash......

Can be a lower Arm that weak anybody else out there with the same Problem....
    There is an Abarth owner who just posted that when he/she got under the car to begin some suspension mods they noticed that the the car was leaking grease at the wheel/boot. You might want to do a search for that thread and touch base with them.

As for automatic car washes I think I could count on one hand the ones that *would not* damage a car in some way. They are almost always poorly maintained, dirty, and really only the touchless ones would ever be an option. Even if it is touch-free, often the jets are so strong and the wash solution so harsh that at best you'd end up stripping your wax. At worst - well - is actually damaging the car physically. In the Volvo I had the dryer roller snapped the sunroof deflector right off when my parents decided they'd do me a favor and wash my car for me.

After several experiences in my younger days with automatic car washes and having to correct wheel scrapes, swirls, reattach mirrors and rear wiper arms and just generally not get a good wash I don't think I'd ever visit one again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cmj912 For This Useful Post:

Berliner (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmj912 View Post
    There is an Abarth owner who just posted that when he/she got under the car to begin some suspension mods they noticed that the the car was leaking grease at the wheel/boot. You might want to do a search for that thread and touch base with them.

As for automatic car washes I think I could count on one hand the ones that *would not* damage a car in some way....
    I take the truck through the one here; however, it is brushless.

Her Merc gets hand washed at the dealer - that is free for life and the Abarth and Viper are normally hand washed by ME. In the winter months I use a wand at the car wash; but, that's about it.
    2012 Black Abarth
    2010 GMC Sierra Z71 4/4
    2008 Viper ACR
    2013 Mercedes SL550

Premium Member Premium Member sjmst's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    Why would this be a warranty issue?

File a claim against the car wash place, it was their equipment that damaged the car.
    Exactly. There is no way FIAT will pay for damage the car wash did. You are claiming a design defect by FIAT? I HIGHLY doubt you will be successful for many reasons. Go after the car wash, but that is also a crapshoot. Either way, sorry to hear of this and good luck.

- Sam

2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
    1981 Fiat Spider

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjmst For This Useful Post:

Berliner (07-08-2012), FiatGusto (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    HEY GUYS
    GUYS
    GUYS

WARNING: DO NOT CLEAR FOREST UNDERBRUSH AND SMALL TREES WITH YOUR BUMPER

Going to see if Fiat warranty will cover.

Will update later.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sushi Hands For This Useful Post:

Bladecutter (03-15-2013), trevc (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Check to see if you are missing an inner cv boot clamp. It seems more and more people are discovering grease leaks because of a missing clamp.

Thanks
    OK. Here's what happened. I got a speeding ticket in my Rosso Sport. I think it is a design flaw that they even offer the car in red and I'm sure that is why the fascists law enforcement officer singled me out when everyone else on I-25 was going 80 too. I am demanding that FIAT give me a new replacement car in that horrible baby puke green color (apologies to anyone out there who has that color). Elsewise, I will sue them to the ends of the earth, and even farther if I can find a lawyer willing to take this on a contingency fee.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DenisEatonHogg For This Useful Post:

Bladecutter (03-15-2013), FiatPhil (07-12-2012), vanzuidt (03-15-2013)

Premium Member Premium Member SeaDawg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisEatonHogg View Post
    OK. Here's what happened. I got a speeding ticket in my Rosso Sport. I think it is a design flaw that they even offer the car in red and I'm sure that is why the fascists law enforcement officer singled me out when everyone else on I-25 was going 80 too. I am demanding that FIAT give me a new replacement car in that horrible baby puke green color (apologies to anyone out there who has that color). Elsewise, I will sue them to the ends of the earth, and even farther if I can find a lawyer willing to take this on a contingency fee.
    It was just your lucky day in the Law Enforcement Lottery!

I'm sure this is a tongue-in-cheek riposte to the carwash debacle...if not, see Evelyn S. response.
    Last edited by SeaDawg; 07-12-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    Max
    2013 Grigio Abarth

Installed:
    TWM Short Shifter Assy
    Red Leather Shift Boot

Thanks
    RoadRace Motorsports
    Good luck with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast