500 Madness
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Dont take your 500 thru an Automatic Car Wash

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Phoenix Az
    Posts
    1,058
    Thanks
    932
    Thanked 305 Times in 189 Posts

    Dont take your 500 thru an Automatic Car Wash

    I thought i gonna share this with you .... spend the extra Money and have the Fiat Hand washed... Dumb me i now went twice thru an automatic Car Wash.... Guess what twice now them Rollers hit my left lower Control Arm so hard i now have Grease on the left all the Way 2 the Rear Bumber 1st i thought it was Bubble Gum....... than i checked the Clamp on the Cv Joint from a Post earlier...... False Alarm.... my Clamp is tight... Them Rollers at the Car Wash hit that lower left Control Arm so hard it is off Center and Grease is leaking out...... I hope i get it fixed from Fiat under Warranty.... Sorry i would post Pics but i have trouble doing so.... Honestly i worried more about my Wheels than the lower left Control Arm going thru the Auto Wash.......


    Lesson learned .... Hand Wash it..... But honestly i worried more about Water leaking in thru the Soft Top. Never ever did i give it a thought that the Rollers in the Car Wash will knock off the lower left Arm just enuff 2 spill Grease.....




    ImHO this is a Design flaw from Fiat.....My 500C rides on 16 inch Factory Wheels that i upgraded at the Dealer from the 500 Sport.......

    Here we go less than 2k on the Clock and i have 2 fight the Dealer.....


    I will keep you posted......on the Out Come...... Honestly i don,t feel Safe driving the Car......

    Look i am not bashing Fiat but if the lower Arm is so weak that 2 Knocks will off set it so Grease will spill i wonder about the Rest of the Car.


    I love my Fiat..... i treat my Baby just like i do with my Mercedes..... I feel like a Dumb Ass now taking the 500 thru an Automatic Car Wash......

    Can be a lower Arm that weak anybody else out there with the same Problem....

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,278
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 199 Times in 161 Posts
    Why would this be a warranty issue?

    File a claim against the car wash place, it was their equipment that damaged the car.
    Former - 1971 Fiat 850 Spider
    IT'S HERE - 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Currently in Garage - 2002 E46 M3, 2000 M Roadster, 1995 E36 M3 Lightweight, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Spec Racer Ford

  3. #3
    Premium Member Premium Member cmj912's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    new england
    Posts
    1,478
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 217 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
    I thought i gonna share this with you .... spend the extra Money and have the Fiat Hand washed... Dumb me i now went twice thru an automatic Car Wash.... Guess what twice now them Rollers hit my left lower Control Arm so hard i now have Grease on the left all the Way 2 the Rear Bumber 1st i thought it was Bubble Gum....... than i checked the Clamp on the Cv Joint from a Post earlier...... False Alarm.... my Clamp is tight... Them Rollers at the Car Wash hit that lower left Control Arm so hard it is off Center and Grease is leaking out...... I hope i get it fixed from Fiat under Warranty.... Sorry i would post Pics but i have trouble doing so.... Honestly i worried more about my Wheels than the lower left Control Arm going thru the Auto Wash.......


    Lesson learned .... Hand Wash it..... But honestly i worried more about Water leaking in thru the Soft Top. Never ever did i give it a thought that the Rollers in the Car Wash will knock off the lower left Arm just enuff 2 spill Grease.....




    ImHO this is a Design flaw from Fiat.....My 500C rides on 16 inch Factory Wheels that i upgraded at the Dealer from the 500 Sport.......

    Here we go less than 2k on the Clock and i have 2 fight the Dealer.....


    I will keep you posted......on the Out Come...... Honestly i don,t feel Safe driving the Car......

    Look i am not bashing Fiat but if the lower Arm is so weak that 2 Knocks will off set it so Grease will spill i wonder about the Rest of the Car.


    I love my Fiat..... i treat my Baby just like i do with my Mercedes..... I feel like a Dumb Ass now taking the 500 thru an Automatic Car Wash......

    Can be a lower Arm that weak anybody else out there with the same Problem....
    There is an Abarth owner who just posted that when he/she got under the car to begin some suspension mods they noticed that the the car was leaking grease at the wheel/boot. You might want to do a search for that thread and touch base with them.

    As for automatic car washes I think I could count on one hand the ones that *would not* damage a car in some way. They are almost always poorly maintained, dirty, and really only the touchless ones would ever be an option. Even if it is touch-free, often the jets are so strong and the wash solution so harsh that at best you'd end up stripping your wax. At worst - well - is actually damaging the car physically. In the Volvo I had the dryer roller snapped the sunroof deflector right off when my parents decided they'd do me a favor and wash my car for me.

    After several experiences in my younger days with automatic car washes and having to correct wheel scrapes, swirls, reattach mirrors and rear wiper arms and just generally not get a good wash I don't think I'd ever visit one again.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to cmj912 For This Useful Post:

    Berliner (07-08-2012)

  5. #4
    Senior Member johniew398's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bentonville, AR
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmj912 View Post
    There is an Abarth owner who just posted that when he/she got under the car to begin some suspension mods they noticed that the the car was leaking grease at the wheel/boot. You might want to do a search for that thread and touch base with them.

    As for automatic car washes I think I could count on one hand the ones that *would not* damage a car in some way....
    I take the truck through the one here; however, it is brushless.

    Her Merc gets hand washed at the dealer - that is free for life and the Abarth and Viper are normally hand washed by ME. In the winter months I use a wand at the car wash; but, that's about it.
    2012 Black Abarth
    2010 GMC Sierra Z71 4/4
    2008 Viper ACR
    2013 Mercedes SL550

  6. #5
    Premium Member Premium Member sjmst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,696
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 215 Times in 157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    Why would this be a warranty issue?

    File a claim against the car wash place, it was their equipment that damaged the car.
    Exactly. There is no way FIAT will pay for damage the car wash did. You are claiming a design defect by FIAT? I HIGHLY doubt you will be successful for many reasons. Go after the car wash, but that is also a crapshoot. Either way, sorry to hear of this and good luck.

    - Sam

    2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
    1981 Fiat Spider

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjmst For This Useful Post:

    Berliner (07-08-2012), FiatGusto (07-08-2012)

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    HEY GUYS
    GUYS
    GUYS

    WARNING: DO NOT CLEAR FOREST UNDERBRUSH AND SMALL TREES WITH YOUR BUMPER

    Going to see if Fiat warranty will cover.

    Will update later.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sushi Hands For This Useful Post:

    Bladecutter (03-15-2013), trevc (07-11-2012)

  10. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Check to see if you are missing an inner cv boot clamp. It seems more and more people are discovering grease leaks because of a missing clamp.

  11. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 17 Times in 5 Posts
    OK. Here's what happened. I got a speeding ticket in my Rosso Sport. I think it is a design flaw that they even offer the car in red and I'm sure that is why the fascists law enforcement officer singled me out when everyone else on I-25 was going 80 too. I am demanding that FIAT give me a new replacement car in that horrible baby puke green color (apologies to anyone out there who has that color). Elsewise, I will sue them to the ends of the earth, and even farther if I can find a lawyer willing to take this on a contingency fee.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DenisEatonHogg For This Useful Post:

    Bladecutter (03-15-2013), FiatPhil (07-12-2012), vanzuidt (03-15-2013)

  13. #9
    Premium Member Premium Member SeaDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Orlando, FL USA
    Posts
    1,395
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked 212 Times in 181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisEatonHogg View Post
    OK. Here's what happened. I got a speeding ticket in my Rosso Sport. I think it is a design flaw that they even offer the car in red and I'm sure that is why the fascists law enforcement officer singled me out when everyone else on I-25 was going 80 too. I am demanding that FIAT give me a new replacement car in that horrible baby puke green color (apologies to anyone out there who has that color). Elsewise, I will sue them to the ends of the earth, and even farther if I can find a lawyer willing to take this on a contingency fee.
    It was just your lucky day in the Law Enforcement Lottery!

    I'm sure this is a tongue-in-cheek riposte to the carwash debacle...if not, see Evelyn S. response.
    Last edited by SeaDawg; 07-12-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    Max
    2013 Grigio Abarth

    Installed:
    TWM Short Shifter Assy
    Red Leather Shift Boot

  14. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Coral Springs, Florida, United States
    Posts
    99
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    RoadRace Motorsports
    Good luck with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mopar CAI on an automatic. It fits!!!
    By unknown_eyes in forum Fiat 500 Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 08:28 PM
  2. 2 New Fiat Automatic Questions
    By n3v3rfollow in forum Questions about the Fiat 500
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 03:22 PM
  3. Time to wash BeBe
    By tensleep in forum Detailers Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 04:33 PM
  4. My First Drive of an Automatic
    By sjmst in forum Fiat 500 General Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-20-2011, 09:33 AM
  5. The new 6spd automatic
    By ciddyguy in forum Fiat 500 General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2010, 01:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •