Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

White Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nakinate
    • Mar 2012

White Steering Wheel

My 500 has a white leather steering wheel. I thought I was doing the smart thing when I bought a steering wheel cover for it. I just removed the cover and it has marked up the steering wheel and left a yellow stain. Any suggestions on how to restore the leather? I've tried a few leather cleaners, but no luck.
  • unknown_eyes
    • Oct 2011

I find the easiest way to clean the white leather wheel is with the kitchen cleaning product "magic eraser". Follow this will a plain damp cloth to remove any cleaning residue and a treatment of leather condition since the cleaner may dry the leather.

This has worked for me with an orange sunkist stain that I got on my wheel. Thankfully it came out completely. Hope it will work for your stain as well.

Comment

• nakinate
      • Mar 2012

Yeah, I tried a magic eraser. No luck. Maybe white shoe polish? Does anyone know if that may work?

Comment

• wachuko
        • Feb 2012

Have you checked with the dealer, to see if they have something?

How much is a new one?
        Drive safe!
        Wachuko

A couple of Porsche 911s, a 912, a '61 VW Bug, and a BMW X5 Diesel
        2012 FIAT 500 Abarth in Rosso and 2015 FIAT 500 Abarth in Nero, 2015 FIAT 500c 1957 Edition in Retro Light Blue all gone now ...
        Wish List: FIAT Abarth 595 in Podium Blue

Comment

• cmj912
          • Jul 2011

What type of stain is it? Does it seem to have "soaked in" like ink or is it more of a faded color-transfer like stain that looks sort of, I dunno, like you tossed a bright yellow sock in with your white wash? How big is the stain?

My understanding is that the Fiat's wheel cover is made of coated - i.e. leather 'coated' with a fine layer of vinyl 'color' -which would make stains easier to remove and renders the leather non-porous. I would slather on some cream leather cleaner with a very soft brush and let it soak for a bit. Do not let it dry. Keep it damp, then scrub it after a bit.

Restoration Hardware makes a very good leather restoration liquid that has brought some of my shoes back from the undead. It isn't cheap, but I don't suspect a new wheel wrap is either...

There are advanced tips including a mild bleach solution that you could try as well, but I'm NOT advocating those unless you are the REALLY careful type

Comment

• MADNESSMIKE
            Premium Sponsor
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by cmj912
            What type of stain is it? Does it seem to have "soaked in" like ink or is it more of a faded color-transfer like stain that looks sort of, I dunno, like you tossed a bright yellow sock in with your white wash? How big is the stain?

My understanding is that the Fiat's wheel cover is made of coated - i.e. leather 'coated' with a fine layer of vinyl 'color' -which would make stains easier to remove and renders the leather non-porous. I would slather on some cream leather cleaner with a very soft brush and let it soak for a bit. Do not let it dry. Keep it damp, then scrub it after a bit.

Restoration Hardware makes a very good leather restoration liquid that has brought some of my shoes back from the undead. It isn't cheap, but I don't suspect a new wheel wrap is either...

There are advanced tips including a mild bleach solution that you could try as well, but I'm NOT advocating those unless you are the REALLY careful type
            cmj912 hit the nail on the head. hit the steering wheel with a leather cleaner followed up by a leather conditioner.
            Check out
            http://www.500MADNESS.com for the largest selection of Fiat 500 Parts and Accessories in stock at the lowest prices. We service, customize and modify! Give us a call at 562-981-6800.
            https://twitter.com/#!/500MADNESS
            http://500madness.tumblr.com/
            www.facebook.com/pages/500Madness/

Comment

• nakinate
              • Mar 2012

It seems like more of a faded color transfer. I think it was a reactions between the rubber of the steering wheel cover and the leather. I have read some things about saddle soap being really good. I'll look around for some good cleaners. I'm finding that actual leather cleaner is hard to find, most products are just conditioners.

Comment

• cmj912
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by nakinate
                It seems like more of a faded color transfer. I think it was a reactions between the rubber of the steering wheel cover and the leather. I have read some things about saddle soap being really good. I'll look around for some good cleaners. I'm finding that actual leather cleaner is hard to find, most products are just conditioners.
                Actual high-end leather cleaners are just that. Many of the best leather cleaners are only available via the best retailers and it has been my experience in the world of keeping things clean that - other than white vinegar - the higher priced, very reputable products seem to be a get-what-you-pay-for situation.

Comment

• Roadpizza
                  • Feb 2012

Black steering wheels are nice...just saying.

Comment

• Shuns
                    • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Roadpizza
                    Black steering wheels are nice...just saying.
                    I’ve been wondering about this, and just called Scandinavian design to see if any of the colors of their furniture maintenance kits match my white steering wheel.

Comment

• Vincenze
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Shuns
                      I’ve been wondering about this, and just called Scandinavian design to see if any of the colors of their furniture maintenance kits match my white steering wheel.
                      If you want to do it the right way, you should get some leather, threads, and reupholster the wheel.

Check out this awesome guide on how to upholster a steering wheel, submitted by Joseph Pavich of JPM Coachworks in Tracy, California.

Comment