Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

A thing of beauty is a joy forever...
inside exhaust pipes need cleaning.
The outside are waxed, I'm reluctant to clean the inside with anything...

Below are the manufacturer's oil consumption guidelines we've published in previous posts. Depending on how you drive, and the maintenance done on the...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $30.00 on this Silver MegaWeight Shift Knob for your FIAT 500.

Improve your driving experience...

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

Abarth competitor making life hard

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geeded
    Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member
    • Jun 2011

Abarth competitor making life hard

Howdy,

Just got this off of Jalopnik:

This from MotorTrend:

Trust MotorTrend for the best car reviews, news, car rankings, and much more. With more than 70 years of experience, we're your home for everything automotive.

I'm of the mind that this car could very well be cross-shopped with the Abarth (at these prices, who wouldn't). 24k (Nav std) to start and topping out at $27k. Sheesh..... Man, how do you compete with that? Especially when, even if you're 6'3", you'll still fit? It has me wondering what it's going to take for Abarth to survive in such a market. Especially if they start at $24.5k...
    Last edited by geeded; 12-02-2011, 06:39 PM. Reason: added MotorTrend Link
    sigpic

"Careful Icarus...The Abarth abides..."
  • Felnus
    All 101HP all the time
    Lifetime Member
    • Sep 2011

Meh....the Abarth has more torque. Frankly, I'm trying to figure out how in the heck they are squeezing a 16" disc brake into a 17" wheel on the Limited model or did I read that incorrectly?
    sigpic
    http://www.wednesdayslight.photoreflect.com

Comment

• blefevre
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Felnus
      Meh....the Abarth has more torque. Frankly, I'm trying to figure out how in the heck they are squeezing a 16" disc brake into a 17" wheel on the Limited model or did I read that incorrectly?
      That is probably a typo.

The car is tempting. It would allow me to stick with RWD and not go back to FWD.

Comment

• Giallo Edizione
        • Jun 2011

Yawn.

Comment

• txdesign
          • Jun 2011

Good news for Fiat and other manufacturers in this price range that the Toyota/Subaru twins don't look anywhere as sexy as the prototype shown at the New York auto show- that car was fantastic. The production model leaves me cold.
          Still 24K and RWD is a nice combo.

Comment

• Chris
            • Jun 2011

Let's not fool ourselves... this car is going to be a winner if they hit those prices. I know somebody who knows somebody that's driven it... stock it's supposedly wicked fun.
            sigpic

Comment

• Reaperman
              • Aug 2011

odd that you should mention it, I was off at the scion site looking just yesterday. I didn't think it was ever aimed at the under 25k pricepoint though, and I didn't think it was so light. (I could find neither number on the scion)

I signed up for their mailing list too.
              Maybe I'll swing by the toyota dealer tomorrow.

Comment

• buzzny
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Chris
                Let's not fool ourselves... this car is going to be a winner if they hit those prices. I know somebody who knows somebody that's driven it... stock it's supposedly wicked fun.
                Realistically knowing Subie & Toyo Do you think performance and accessories can be delivered for this price point? I get Subies 'Drive' magazine and also Subies 'Performance' magazine which both give present Subie owners a heads up on what is soon to be coming out with what and knowing these companies to sell at this pricepoint would be one of those 'let's advertise at this price but realistically it will be about 4-5k more at sale'. OK, disagree with me, because I CAN'T stand arguments. But this is only MY opinion. Like new Subie Forester starts @ $20,595 but.... OK, ya want a little extra, ya want whats really available, ya want a little extra boost (Turbo)...NOW it starts, yes, starts at $29,895. About $9,300 more that the lure. Now... lets add what you really want. I am up to $33K. To me I spent 25,250 for my Fiat and I feel it is well worth it. My (OK, Hopeful) Abarth I expect to pay probably about $30. Boo me, go ahead, Fiat love me for saying it go ahead. But I an being realistic for what I will spend and don't forget, what I will want on it.
                I will move off the soapbox now.

Comment

• Scorpion
                  • Aug 2011

A very different machine than the Abarth, but I think the original poster is right to see them as in the same cross-shopping sphere. I am SERIOUSLY considering this car. The only thing that may stop me is if my 6'3" 220lbs. self won't comfortably fit into it. I will know for certain at the Detroit International Auto Show in January.

For those that are interested, we have a long and detailed discussion going on over at Focaljet about the GT/FR-S/BRZ triplets:

Previous: Rosso Prima 111/500 | Current: Bianco Abarth

Like small cars? Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

• Max
                    • Sep 2011

Odd, I wouldn't consider cross shopping it. Not because its a Toyota or a Scion, I just don't see the same nostalgia behind it as in say the FIAT or Mini. When I opened the first link, before I knew it was a co Toyota Scion model/platform the first thing that came to mind was it looks like a Scion... I like Toyota's and love the FJ Cruiser but then again that falls under the nostalgia section...maybe thats what seems to appeal to me in cars these days. I also love Alfa Romeo's and can't wait till those hit the US market. A 4C (baby 8C Competizione) is looking quite nice. I also wouldn't mind seeing a new 2013 Mazda RX7 redo based on the 70's first generation rotary.

Max

Comment

• fiat for life
                      • Aug 2011

Thats a different car altogether. Apples to oranges
                      Friendly neighborhood FIAT guy

Comment

• Max
                        • Sep 2011

Maybe I stand somewhat corrected. I went by my FIAT Studio this afternoon to return the 500C they lent me and one of the sales reps (young guy) was talking about this car and how he will want it over the ABARTH...thus I guess some may lean towards this vehicle. Lets see if it ends up coming out in the US as shown before we really compare. Actually, lets see what the ABARTH comes in at in price point and final specs too before a real compare.. Competition can only be a good thing. If FIAT feels threatened by the price point on "same" segment cars it way be forced to adjust its pricing...
                        I'm still placing my vote with the ABARTH over this particular Toyota/Subi/Scion frankenstein car.

Max

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                          Amministratore
                          • Feb 2011

I'm sure it will be a popular car. That is what it is suppose to be. Buying a popular car is not what I'm about, I want something others don't have from a company I can be proud of and has a legacy of contributing to the automotive world.

Not to be harsh, but Toyota has squandered all their talent into making boring, humdrum appliances and considering their size, contributed barely anything to car enthusiasts. For a car company with the resources of Toyota to do that really offends the car enthusiast in me.

Subaru? They at least have pioneered some technology and there is the WRC. But if you don't get their hottest stuff, their cars are pretty boring, too.

The Toyota/Subi/Scion will have all the figures and numbers, but that's what it will be - figures and numbers. You can't fabricate a heritage with a fancy name.
                          Last edited by Fiat500USA; 12-04-2011, 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling;)
                          Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                          fiat 500 forum signature
                          abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Scorpion
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Max
                            Lets see if it ends up coming out in the US as shown before we really compare.
                            Both the Subaru and the Scion are confirmed for US sale, and will be out mid-2012. In fact, the Scion brand is only sold in the US.
                            Previous: Rosso Prima 111/500 | Current: Bianco Abarth

Like small cars? Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

• Max
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Scorpion
                              Both the Subaru and the Scion are confirmed for US sale, and will be out mid-2012. In fact, the Scion brand is only sold in the US.
                              Hi Scorpion

I ment more "as shown". Typically Manufacturers have a history of detuning cars for our markets (US and Canada). I guess its something about the impression of Americans being fat and lazy... I don't know much about these models and admit I did not bother to read the article as neither variant interests me. Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of the Subaru non interference boxer engine. A great design with recent up dates that have finally brought the fuel economy on par with in line or V engines. I've owned a 97 Legacy GT sedan back in the day and currently have a 97 Subaru SVX (for sale if anyone wants it) so I like Subaru's. I'd be more of a WRX, a Brat or a Baja kind of guy when it comes to this brand. From Toyota the only current models that interest me are either the Prius or FJ Cruiser. Of tester years it would be the 1993-1998 Turbo Supra MKIV or better yet the 2000GT of the late 60's but all these mentioned have nothing to do with the model in question. I'm only adding it as an indication that my lack of taste for them does not stem from general dislike towards the brands.

Have they confirmed what the final full US production specs will be? I'll have to agree with "FIAT500USA" on that these cars will be just another "number" lacking heart and soul behind them. I'm sure to some it will feel like they do but to me I'd much prefer a FIAT ABARTH or Mini Cooper S or better yet JCW. I'd even prefer a KIA SOUL...

Max

Comment