Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

Lowering Spring Installation

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeaDawg
    Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member
    • May 2011

Lowering Spring Installation

I've been reconsidering adding H & R lowering springs. The problem is that I'm pretty anal about letting shops other than dealers work on my cars....Fiats or Chevy's. Not only that but info like torque values for suspension bolts etc aren't exactly in abundant supply, nor is the car as common as your Chevy. As the car was in for it's first oil change (6 months, not 8,000 miles) I asked the Maintenance Manager about installation of the springs; YIKES! He stated 1.5 hours PER WHEEL @ $99.00 per hour labor cost...that's insane. What do dealerships get for a flat rate per hour up in the northeast? Has anyone up there gotten a somewhat more reasonable quote from a dealer for installation of the spring kits? Also stated $148.xx for an alignment.

At these prices, I'll make do with what came with the car.

Other thoughts?
    Max
    FIAT Number 1:
    2012 Rosso Sport - 5M
    FIAT Number 2:
    2013 Grigio Abarth - 5M
    FIAT Number 3:
    2013 Bianco Perla Pop - 6A
    FIAT Number 4:
    2016 Verde Chiaro Sport (Automatic)
    Avorio Interior
    Automatic Temperature Control A/C
    UConnect Touch Screen with AM/FM/Sirius Radio

2019 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring
  • Fiat500USA
    Amministratore
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by SeaDawg
    I've been reconsidering adding H & R lowering springs. The problem is that I'm pretty anal about letting shops other than dealers work on my cars....Fiats or Chevy's. Not only that but info like torque values for suspension bolts etc aren't exactly in abundant supply, nor is the car as common as your Chevy. As the car was in for it's first oil change (6 months, not 8,000 miles) I asked the Maintenance Manager about installation of the springs; YIKES! He stated 1.5 hours PER WHEEL @ $99.00 per hour labor cost...that's insane. What do dealerships get for a flat rate per hour up in the northeast? Has anyone up there gotten a somewhat more reasonable quote from a dealer for installation of the spring kits? Also stated $148.xx for an alignment.

Other thoughts?
    Most of the dealers I've been to in the Hudson Valley have a $110 + labor rate. The rear springs would not take 1.5 hours per side to change. There are no struts that need to be disassembled. Just remove the lower shock bolt and lower the axle and the springs can be eased out. I'm sure someone or one of our sponsors can speak up on the ease of the rear.

The fronts require the struts to be disassembled, and that does take some time. I would think the entire job all the way around could be done in 3 hours. Call around to a few dealers to check that time.
    Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
    fiat 500 forum signature
    abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Chris
      • Jun 2011

$$ Doesn't sound too bad... but is your dealer the best to do a mod? It's not something they are trained to routinely do.
      I have another mechanic that, if I wanted to mod anything, they'd get the work as they do all sorts of custom stuff. (I realize a different set of springs isn't exactly a tough mod but you get my point).
      sigpic

Comment

• 500MADNESS.com
        Premium Sponsor
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by SeaDawg

Other thoughts?
        The $99 per hour is a pretty low rate for a dealer. Most are between $110-125 per hour. We charge less, but we are not a dealer.

In regards to 1.5 hour rate per wheel... Are you saying they want 6 hours @ $99/hour for a total of $600 to install a set of springs? If that is the case, then yes that is a bit too high, but then again a dealer has different overhead then an aftermarket shop.

The job should not take more then 4 hours to complete if the tech knows what he is doing. It can be done in less if he has done it before and does not have any other distractions.
        Check out www.500MADNESS.com for the largest selection of FIAT 500 Parts and Accessories in stock at the lowest prices. We service, customize and modify! Give us a call at 562-981-6800 or 512-982-9393.

Comment

• sjmst
          Lifetime Member
          Lifetime Member
          • May 2011

$400 sounds right to install springs
          sigpic
          Fiat Club America Long Island Chapter Contact.
          - Sam

2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
          1981 Fiat Spider
          2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
          2002 Porsche Boxster

Comment

• SeaDawg
            Lifetime Member
            Lifetime Member
            • May 2011

Originally posted by sjmst
            $400 sounds right to install springs
            I think for the moment I'm going to take the $$ for the H&R Springs and buy an electric garage door opener. It's getting to be a pain to get out and open the damn door in the rain, especially when you have upholstery that stains when you look at it cross-eyed, let alone get rain drops on it.

Springs, maybe someday?
            Max
            FIAT Number 1:
            2012 Rosso Sport - 5M
            FIAT Number 2:
            2013 Grigio Abarth - 5M
            FIAT Number 3:
            FIAT Number 4:
            Avorio Interior

Comment

• Greg Stidsen
              • Aug 2011

Just installed H&R sport springs with my Alfa mechanics. It took 2 hours by the time wee found all the right tools. Special tools included a lift, inverse torx (rear shock bolt), spring compressor, point jack, and offset box end to remove strut nut. It was a straightforward job with no surprises. Toe in remained unchanged so realignment was not necessary. Negative camber increased slightly (good). Front lowered about 1/2 inch, rear about 1 inch. This may drop a little further with time. The stance, and look, of the car is dramatically changed. Ride is more solid, but not harsh. Feels more 'planted' than stock. Flatter around corners. Less bouncy. All-in-all an easy job and a worthwhile improvement.

Comment

• SeaDawg
                Lifetime Member
                Lifetime Member
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Greg Stidsen
                Just installed H&R sport springs with my Alfa mechanics. It took 2 hours by the time wee found all the right tools. Special tools included a lift, inverse torx (rear shock bolt), spring compressor, point jack, and offset box end to remove strut nut. It was a straightforward job with no surprises. Toe in remained unchanged so realignment was not necessary. Negative camber increased slightly (good). Front lowered about 1/2 inch, rear about 1 inch. This may drop a little further with time. The stance, and look, of the car is dramatically changed. Ride is more solid, but not harsh. Feels more 'planted' than stock. Flatter around corners. Less bouncy. All-in-all an easy job and a worthwhile improvement.
                My H&R springs for my Sport arrived Wednesday. Unfortunately I have given up wrenching mainly due to age. Going to local Fiat dealer on Monday. Good to know times though. Initially, a couple of weeks or so ago, Service Manager quoted 1.5 hours PER WHEEL @ $99.00 per hour. Then he said he didn't want to scare me off. I told him; TOO late. When I called him this morning we agreed 3-3.5 hours to change all 4. He also doesn't think it will require realignment. I'll be sure to post my observations after the changeover.
                Max
                FIAT Number 1:
                2012 Rosso Sport - 5M
                FIAT Number 2:
                2013 Grigio Abarth - 5M
                FIAT Number 3:
                FIAT Number 4:
                Avorio Interior

Comment

• msjulie33
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Greg Stidsen
                  pictures?
                  Wicked Dot - Rosso+black Abarth 500c
                  MoJo - Electric Orange 500e stealth performer - lease over, replaced with a faster! E

Comment

• fiat for life
                    • Aug 2011

Installing new springs is about an hour a corner. That's pretty standard and most shops charge 90 an hour. Id say either find an indy mechanic you trust and present him with the torque specs from the dealer. OR just go to the dealer.
                    Friendly neighborhood FIAT guy

Comment

• SeaDawg
                      Lifetime Member
                      Lifetime Member
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by fiat for life
                      Installing new springs is about an hour a corner. That's pretty standard and most shops charge 90 an hour. Id say either find an indy mechanic you trust and present him with the torque specs from the dealer. OR just go to the dealer.
                      H&R's installed. $349.65 - 3 1/2 Hours time charged....but completed in a little over 2 hours based on the phone call from the dealer. I managed to get the sill protectors installed for free...they are only a 15 minute install. I filled up the demo loaner (Service Manager uses it). It was about 1/4 tank when I got it. The car rides somewhat firmer than before, but not objectionable. Noticeable visual difference in ride height. Alignment not needed. Will have installation rechecked in two weeks.

DSCF0044.jpgDSCF0042.jpgDSCF0040.jpg
                      Last edited by SeaDawg; 11-28-2011, 03:19 PM.
                      Max
                      FIAT Number 1:
                      2012 Rosso Sport - 5M
                      FIAT Number 2:
                      2013 Grigio Abarth - 5M
                      FIAT Number 3:
                      FIAT Number 4:
                      Avorio Interior

Comment

• epb
                        • Nov 2011

Thanks for the pics. It looks nicer, and it should settle a bit more over time, right?

Comment

• Dwaynek
                          • Aug 2011

Looks great and the chrome gas cap looks great!

Comment

• SeaDawg
                            Lifetime Member
                            Lifetime Member
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by epb
                            Thanks for the pics. It looks nicer, and it should settle a bit more over time, right?
                            Per Lucas, the Service Manager, yes it should. The H&R isn't a real drastic drop, i.e. .75 inch drop in front and 1.3 inch drop in rear. If I change to 17" wheels then the wheel wells will be 'well filled'.
                            Max
                            FIAT Number 1:
                            2012 Rosso Sport - 5M
                            FIAT Number 2:
                            2013 Grigio Abarth - 5M
                            FIAT Number 3:
                            FIAT Number 4:
                            Avorio Interior

Comment

• GotFiat
                              • Jun 2011

everybody talking about 2,3 and 4 hours install!! really? my buddy did mine on his driveway with some air tools in around 50 MINs!! minus the alignment. the rears took around 10 mins total and the front the rest of the 50 mins.

Comment