Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Fuel Mileage Increasing with Age

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Have Trumpet Will Travel
    • Oct 2011

Fuel Mileage Increasing with Age

Up on the Blue Ridge Parkway at dawn this morning as planned. A beautiful photo op, had to squeeze my way in with three tripods with the REAL cameras clicking away. Enjoyed a view that can't hardly be beat - got half-a -dozen shots with my little digital at the first two overlooks facing east. Scene was akin to the Great Smokey Mountains with the morning fog below in the Rockfish Valley (VA). Unbelievable - just like the talley on both trip A & trip B when I parked. Total = 174.6 miles, range = 280 miles remaining, average speed 32 mph and average mileage up from 35.3 (at 105 miles), now showing 37.9 with 5/8th's tank left to burn. I figure my first fill-up will be at around 350 miles and will probably hold less than 9 gallons to average around 40 mpg. We have a filling station with premium-grade at 0% Ethanol a mile and a half from the house, so will be using their gasoline exclusively as I've done in the past with my other vehicles that require it. When you consider that the first hour or so of time on my car was on and off the truck, state inspection (idling), etc., of the 5.5 hours now showing, that is very respectable fuel consumption. I look for it to even-out around 42 mpg within the week. Not bad considering the foothill environment around here. As I said in earlier posts, will keep informing of future progress. HTWT.
  • Chris
    • Jun 2011

My cars always increased with age (except for a 71 Volvo Wagon ).

I figured it was the combo of break-in plus learning how to drive the car optimally.
    I get less now on the Fiat tank to tanlk but that's only because I'm lead-footing it lately
    sigpic

Comment

• shil
      • Jun 2011

As I get older I'm buying slower cars, so yes.

Comment

• cmj912
        • Jul 2011

My car started getting better mileage at about 2k. Went up a couple of MPGs; I didn't change my driving style...

Comment

• 59Imperial
          • Oct 2011

I have had my 2012 500c manual for almost 4 weeks now and have put on a little over 4,000 miles. I have a daily commute of 108 miles (more if running errands). This is mostly freeway driving with some up hill country roads towards the end of the trip. I have been getting right around 45 miles per gallon. I drove it a bit hard from San Diego to San Francisco with two people in the car, luggage and the A/C running most of the time. I spent a week up in San Francisco with the top down and in bumper to bumper traffic and averaged a little over 40 miles per gallon on that 1,400 mile trip. I traded in a smart car which only got 43 to 48 miles per gallon so I am happy with the 500c.

Comment

• Oct 2011

Mileage Figures Keep Climbing

Now back from third 90-mile outing, totaling 270 miles. Average speed = 34 mph / average consumption = 39.5 mpg. Am I ever happy with the increasing mpg figure. Especially when you consider that this includes an 85-mph run down the interstate trying to catch two girls in a Gray 500 Sport. I mean it turned-out to be 2 girls. I really can't believe how easily the car accelerated in 5th gear. I had NO idea that I was motoring along at such a quick pace until the "Speed Bump" feature chimed-in to alert me of the infraction (65 mph zone). Boy I sure hope "officer O'Malley" doesn't read this post . . . OR my wife for that matter. Of the eight increments on the fuel ribbon it appears each 1/8 tank is going to yield around 55 miles. This is totally incredible. Since I am showing 3/8 tank left I should amend my prior statement to refuel at around 350 miles to more like 410 miles, requiring 9.5 gallons to yield approx. 43mpg. Will let you know Sunday 11/30/11. CIAO for now.

Comment

• Oct 2011

M.P.G. STILL Climbing. First fill-up at 417 miles - absolutely filled it until gas was to top of filler neck - divided by 9.732 gallons = 42.85 mpg / EVIC said 41.9 'nuf said? HTWT.

Comment

• Oct 2011

MPG figures still climbing

Two tanks for a total of 19.45 gallons added by 846 miles = 43.49 mpg (EVIC says 43.5 mpg for Trip "B" / 45.4 mpg for Trip "A" of 429 miles) this is with 250 miles running the CORSA cold-air intake -so, I've been using full throttle more often. Expect to get 42 mpg when I take a 400-mile trip at 70 mph average speed. Will post results - HTWT.
                Last edited by Have Trumpet Will Travel; 11-20-2011, 03:37 AM.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                  Amministratore
                  • Feb 2011

My gas mileage has also went up. Up about 1.5 mpg over the course of 6 months.
                  Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                  fiat 500 forum signature
                  abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• fltrplntman
                    • Feb 2012

Has your fuel mileage increased with the cold air intake?

Comment

• Oct 2011

Reply to m.p.g. question

Originally posted by fltrplntman
                      Has your fuel mileage increased with the cold air intake?
                      Just saw this and honestly, with me driving, mileage is the same. With my brother-in-law driving, the EVIC immediately reflected the effect of his "spirited" run through the gears - anything that makes you want to use more throttle (for the noise, it IS addictive!) will have a negative effect on fuel economy. My C.A.I. is the RoadRace Motorsports product and I totally love it, but m.p.g. is unchanged. The engine does rev-up faster, particularly in the first three gears (5-speed manual). BTW, my average m.p.g. is 43+ / EVIC is "stuck" on 43.8, can't persuade it to 44.0 (yet). HTWT.
                      Last edited by Have Trumpet Will Travel; 03-18-2012, 11:01 PM. Reason: To mention "near" 44 mpg

Comment

• JohnInIndy
                        • Jan 2012

I noticed a bit of an increase in MPG as the motor broke in but what I've really noticed lately is a sizable increase as the temperature warmed up. It's been unseasonably warm here this last week and my EVIC is reading about 3-4mpg higher than it had been most of the winter. I haven't run a full tank yet to check, but my EVIC tends to be pretty close.
                        '12 FIAT 500 Pop
                        '11 VW Golf
                        '07 Triumph Bonneville
                        '03 BMW K1200RS
                        '96 BMW R850R

Comment

• FITITO
                          • Oct 2012

I have two sports cars and a land yacht (a Benz that is quite quick but NOT a sports car). When I get in my Fiat, I just don't feel the need to step on it and I always plan ahead so that I am not an obstacle. I shift quite early, most of the time around 2K RPMs. The variable valve timing allows this engine to run well at low RPS and under load. So I just put around in a high gear and low RPMs. I have averaged 42.1 MPGs for the last 6,200 miles. I have gotten over 400 miles out of 90% of my tanks and I have even reached 45.4 MPGs out of a tank! The key is not driving faster that 65 MPH. I usually average about 35 MPH, I drive two lane country roads to work. 11 miles each way with 2 traffic lights, I sometimes can time them so I don't even stop.

Recently, the temperature has been in the single digits or negative digits. I noticed that the engine takes a long time to warm up, I roll immediately after starting it and shift early. The extreme cold does LOWER the mileage. But I still hit 400 miles out of this tank (in frigid temperatures) and got 41.2 MPGs. The only times I get in the high 30s is when I drive on the highway over 80 MPH. I am VERY HAPPY with how my Fiat runs, I think it is extremely good value for the money!!

But, for some reason, I just don't feel like accelerating hard when I drive my Fiat. It is a car to cruise around slowly and in style :-)

Steve

Comment

• HiFi Guy
                            • Jan 2013

My first tank was relatively disappointing. It has gone up every tank since, especially after 5,000 miles. I think part if it is break in and part of it is learning what the car "likes."

@HTWT- must be nice having ethanol free gas. It is better for the car too.
                            2013 500 Turbo Grigio 23K Miles (Mine)
                            2013 500 Sport 5 Speed Bianco Perla 8K Miles (Hers)

Comment

• Drmorello
                              • Feb 2013

We are also getting a bit better mileage as time goes on...

Comment