Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

$30 DIY Works, After Fiat Says "Bad PIM" ($6k)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ElectricTireShredder
    • Feb 2020

$30 DIY Works, After Fiat Says "Bad PIM" ($6k)

After @jedwards1654 on the other forum replaced a dead 12V battery, it still wouldn't charge or drive, & the local dealership wanted $600+ just to do an OBD scan.

After leaving the humidity sensor unplugged, a 3-day 12V disconnect didn't work, & neither did HV disconnect, but I'd still recommend doing them first, since they might be required for the following to work:

Then a $30 Konnwei KW902 with the free AlfaOBD "demo" app showed several error codes, including these for the Power Inverter Module (click to enlarge):
    PIM Faults.jpg
    That shows both of the error codes which Fiat uses to convince users that the $6k PIM is "faulty":

Fiat PIM Requirement.jpg
    However, the codes cleared, & it has been driving & charging fine for 10 days now with no PIM or BPCM codes.
    Last edited by ElectricTireShredder; 09-23-2022, 07:53 PM.
    2013 500e has been my only car since 2015.
  • ElectricTireShredder
    • Feb 2020

Other owners say that dealerships use the code below as evidence that the HV pack needs to be replaced, but only after replacing the $6k PIM, which is not covered by the 8-year battery warranty:

Other owners say that dealerships use the P1E25 "Hybrid/EV Battery Failure" code below as evidence that the HV pack needs to be replaced, but only after paying them $6k to replace the PIM, which is not covered by the 8-year battery warranty:

However that pic is actually from my own perfectly-functioning car!

@jedwards1654 also had that code when the car was drivable, & it wouldn't clear until she noticed that AlfaOBD had tiny onscreen instructions about special ignition key position requirements. After following those very carefully, the code cleared & stayed clear for 10 days so far.

Comment

• ElectricTireShredder
      • Feb 2020

So here's what would have happened to a typical 2017 owner:
      • Car won't start even after 12V replacement, even though nothing is wrong (besides a couple erroneous codes)
      • Dealer shows "proof" it has a bad HV pack (8-yr warranty) & bad $6k PIM (4-yr warranty), even though they're both fine.
      • Cost to owner: Over $6k

It makes me really wonder how many other cars have been mis-diagnosed like this, & owners either paid or scrapped the car.

Maybe we should be grateful for the dealer's $600 OBD fee. If it had been reasonable,
      @jedwards1654 might have just paid it & bought the PIM to get the HV warrantied, & we wouldn't have just learned:
      • An HV "failure" code can be wrong, as well as the 2 PIM "failure" codes that Fiat looks for.
      • Some codes need special key positioning to clear*.

* If one of those is what's stopping your car, it won't go again unless you do the right key action. THAT makes me wonder how many users have gone through the "How To Fix" list on this forum (link below) but it failed just because they missed the fine print!

For how to fix a "dead" 500e that won't start &/or charge, click this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a_d4rbMPtzEHIqhecx19zecI-xo1l9B6JUmmJ_JeFP0/edit?usp=sharing (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a_d4rbMPtzEHIqhecx19zecI-xo1l9B6JUmmJ_JeFP0/edit?usp=sharing) After a fellow user's "dead"
      Last edited by Fiat500USA; 09-26-2022, 03:46 PM. Reason: fixed link

Comment

• Hermiabarth
        Lifetime Member
        Lifetime Member
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by ElectricTireShredder

* If one of those is what's stopping your car, it won't go again unless you do the right key action. THAT makes me wonder how many users have gone through the "How To Fix" list on this forum (link below) but it failed just because they missed the fine print!

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?38944-HOW-TO-FIX-A-quot-DEAD-quot-500E-that-won-t-start-amp-or-charge&p=884220&viewfull=1#post884220
        bad link - too much http:
        2016 Abarth Rosso: auto, sunroof, nero leather, electronic climate control, no Beats, ATM fmic, DNA chassis braces, Prometeo skid plate, 25mm tubular rear torsion bar, wheel stud conversion, E.C. V. 3 intake, GFB+ diverter valve, Gruvenparts billet oil filter canister, Euro 4th gen halo tail lights, LED headlights, fog lights, Kenwood Excelon DDX 9906 head unit, Neuspeed SS brake-lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, 50th Anniversary Abarth wheels, 205/40/17 Michelin Pilot AS4 tires.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
          Amministratore
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Hermiabarth
          bad link - too much http:
          I fixed the link:

For how to fix a "dead" 500e that won't start &/or charge, click this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a_d4rbMPtzEHIqhecx19zecI-xo1l9B6JUmmJ_JeFP0/edit?usp=sharing (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a_d4rbMPtzEHIqhecx19zecI-xo1l9B6JUmmJ_JeFP0/edit?usp=sharing) After a fellow user's "dead"
          Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
          fiat 500 forum signature
          abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment