500 Madness

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Baby Seat" thread :)

Thanks

The "Baby Seat" thread :)

So, I am going to be picking up a Sport early next year.

It also just so happens that my wife and I are trying to start a family.

So, let's hear any and all experience with baby seats in the 500 right here!

From what I can tell, the smaller rear facing seats will fit. But, apparently, they render the front passenger seat all but useless.

This to me is not a deal-breaker.

We also have my SRT-4 (which I will re-installe the stock suspension on before I take any babies for a ride lol) which has a sizeable back seat/child seat anchors. We als have my wife's 2 door tahoe. This will be the childs primary vehicle. And it's plenty big enough.

But, I would like to be able to get me, my wife and our "new addition" into the 500 once in a while.

My thought is, my wife could sit behind me in the back seat, next to our new born in the RF child seat. This is what she would want to do anyway, as she can be closer to the child and "keep an eye" on him or her.

Anywho, please share any experience you may have.

Warm thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abarthlyness View Post
    So, I am going to be picking up a Sport early next year.

It also just so happens that my wife and I are trying to start a family.

So, let's hear any and all experience with baby seats in the 500 right here!

From what I can tell, the smaller rear facing seats will fit. But, apparently, they render the front passenger seat all but useless.

This to me is not a deal-breaker.

We also have my SRT-4 (which I will re-installe the stock suspension on before I take any babies for a ride lol) which has a sizeable back seat/child seat anchors. We als have my wife's 2 door tahoe. This will be the childs primary vehicle. And it's plenty big enough.

But, I would like to be able to get me, my wife and our "new addition" into the 500 once in a while.

My thought is, my wife could sit behind me in the back seat, next to our new born in the RF child seat. This is what she would want to do anyway, as she can be closer to the child and "keep an eye" on him or her.

Anywho, please share any experience you may have.

Warm thanks!

You know, I saw a couple with their new-born in a Pop the other day.
    The man drove, the woman sat behind the empty front passenger seat and the baby was behind the driver. They seemed comfortable. Even had a chance to wave back at us!

Ciao ciao!!
    PE #389

Thanks
    I haven't used an infant seat since my girl is beyond them now. I can say that her booster seat fits just fine. Also, it looks like there isn't a lot less room in the back than my old Pontiac Sunfire had and a rear-facing seat fit perfectly in there. In fact, I liked having a littler car when she was that size because it kept her in arms reach.
    When all you have is a stick, everything looks like a kneecap.

Thanks
    Thanks for the awesome responses so far!

Keep em' coming!

Some of my friends like to play Devil's advocate. But I keep
    Reminding them that when you buy such a small car, of course there will be sacrifices. The car is tiny.

The fact that someone (my wife) can fit behind me in the driver's seat, and sit next to a proper rear facing infant seat, speaks volumes about the sheer genius that went into the design of this car!

Thanks
    I tried to put a rear facing seat in without the base, and it just wasn't going to be easy. It could work, but the angles and contortions to get it in the back just didn't make sense. If I had to do that everyday, I wouldn't. A booster in the front for a 5 year old works great, and when they are both front facing we will be driving the Fiat a lot more. But, rear facing just isn't practical.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
    I tried to put a rear facing seat in without the base, and it just wasn't going to be easy. It could work, but the angles and contortions to get it in the back just didn't make sense. If I had to do that everyday, I wouldn't. A booster in the front for a 5 year old works great, and when they are both front facing we will be driving the Fiat a lot more. But, rear facing just isn't practical.
    Kids under 12 belong in back. Some states have laws to that effect. I think that applies even for two stage air bags like the 500. NTSA or some such site might be helpful. Lets us all know where it leads. Clearly the car is not for everyone. Sometimes it does not make sesnse as you say.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luckymoi View Post
    Kids under 12 belong in back. Some states have laws to that effect. I think that applies even for two stage air bags like the 500. NTSA or some such site might be helpful. Lets us all know where it leads.
    Fortunately, I don't live in a nanny state. So, she will still be sitting up front with me.

Lifetime Member Lifetime Member EugeneS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
    Fortunately, I don't live in a nanny state. So, she will still be sitting up front with me.
    Well, choices are yours, but it is dangerous to have kids under 12 in the front seat period. The airbag can kill a child even in a mild accident...

Thanks
    My six year-old daughter sits in the front seat of the Subaru whenever possible - with the airbag turned off she is monumentally safer than she would be in the back since all the objects in the cargo area will fly around in an accident and she is better protected by the front seat.

Right now her booster seat is in the rear of the Fiat but I'm not convinced that it is the safer position given the side airbag proximity to her head in a collision. She's quite tall for her age and the front belts already hit her in the perfect position when she's in the booster. I've always wondered how these recommendations hold up for cars with all the extra airbags since that's the big concern - well that and the front seats are intrisically more dangerous because there is glass in front instead of another seat. Unfortunately, the NTSA does not regulate side impact airbags so there is no recommendation for vehicles that would have them in close proximity to your child except avoid it.
    Last edited by LyraJayne; 09-06-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: misplaced plural
    When all you have is a stick, everything looks like a kneecap.

Lifetime Member Lifetime Member EugeneS's Avatar
    Thanks
    RoadRace Motorsports
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneS View Post
    Well, choices are yours, but it is dangerous to have kids under 12 in the front seat period. The airbag can kill a child even in a mild accident...
    Sorry, did not mean my reply to sound dry and opinionated... Just read these two articles on edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/th...rbags-pg2.html
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/wh...d-airbags.html

The design and technology of front airbags is better now, so I guess it is safer for kids to seat in front. Besides, LyraJane, I see you point, there is not enough information on danger of side airbags...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast