Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

I might check a parts listing first, especially if a Fiat dealer isn't close by. This diagram shows the door and latch mechanism. (You might want to change...

Alfa is self destructing into incompetency. They are going all in on EV just as the market for them crashes. The Tonale is a failure. It is like $10k...

I've been eyeing the t4 from 500madness except for three issues 1- I can't find anyone anywhere that has it to review 2- they don't give enough technical...

New battery installed. Service engine light on

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dnc11
    • Aug 2016

New battery installed. Service engine light on

Hey guys, so my battery died a couple of days ago (the original batter) after 5 years and I tried to jump start it but it didn’t work; I guess it lasted too long. Anyway, I went to the store and replaced it by a Duracell with more amps, and everything worked fine when I first started the car. Yesterday, when I started the car, the AC was not working. It was weird because it had worked the night before with the new battery already installed. Then I noticed that the car was not giving me the outside temperature either. What’s funny is that after driving a couple of miles the temperature was showing on the instrument cluster, and out of curiosity I turned the AC on and it worked. So there’s a correlation there I guess. The same happened today. In addition to that glitch, the “service engine” light came on today and “drive mode unavailable” message too.

I’ll see if I can borrow a reader, but in the meantime, I wanted to share what’s going on in case this has happened to someone else.

thank you.
  • dnc11
    • Aug 2016

09CBEF88-F836-4CFC-9B7B-2D6AB5D59ABA.jpg
    Attached Files

Comment

• Fabio13
      • Jul 2014

Did you happen to check the ground connections UNDER the battery tray?
      2013 Fiat 500 Sport AT, Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra, 3M Crystalline Window Tint, Black top stripes, Black "500" (wide) side stripes. Fiat "500" Stainless door sills by Mopar. BlueTooth music streaming. OBDII BlueTooth Torque gauges streaming to smart phone. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires, STS rear sway bar, Euro+Drive NA 500 Tune, BMC reusable air filter and Spare Tyre with cover.

Blast to drive! 25 years newer than last car!

Comment

• 5port
        AWD enthusiast
        Lifetime Member
        • May 2012

Looks like the ambient temp sensor in the passenger mirror has failed.
        Last edited by 5port; 02-27-2021, 10:27 AM.
        2016 500X Easy,Go pedal, Autoflash, LED Headlights and reverse, LED DRL, carbon fiber shift gate, ST T9 wheels, PIAA wipers, '17 motor mounts, AEM Dryflow

Comment

• sparkyandsimba
          • Jun 2018

Our 2016 just had that sensor fail this week. The ambient temp sensor required the passenger side mirror to be replaced. It is not possible to replace the sensor itself, according to our Fiat dealer. Cost with the diagnosis and labor was $400.00. Seemed just a bit high to me. Interestingly the dealer had the exact mirror in stock. I am thinking this is a common issue? They did it right on the spot and their service was awesome. Fortunate to have a great if expensive dealer.

Comment

• dnc11
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by sparkyandsimba
            Our 2016 just had that sensor fail this week. The ambient temp sensor required the passenger side mirror to be replaced. It is not possible to replace the sensor itself, according to our Fiat dealer. Cost with the diagnosis and labor was $400.00. Seemed just a bit high to me. Interestingly the dealer had the exact mirror in stock. I am thinking this is a common issue? They did it right on the spot and their service was awesome. Fortunate to have a great if expensive dealer.
            Yes, I read that it is an issue for the early 500X models. Here is a forum where the guy replaced just the sensor:

And here is the part; the downside is that they are only available overseas:

Anyway, I guess something during the process of replacing the battery killed the defective sensor. I have the blind spot system, so of course the whole mirror itself is more expensive to replace than the basic one. My part number is 6an97lxhaa

Comment

• sparkyandsimba
              • Jun 2018

I try to remind myself that cars are very complex machines and I have never had one that was without an issue once in a while. Time will tell if not getting that extended warranty was a very expensive mistake, LOL. I think if the service dept is good it sure makes it easier.

Comment

• dnc11
                • Aug 2016

So, I decided to get the parts and try to fix the mirror myself (replace the sensor). Getting the mirror off the car is super easy as it only has two screws, and the connection inside the door (pics below).
                when I tried to remove the mirror so I could have access to the temperature sensor, I broke it and threw the whole thing away; I was so mad

Anyway, I ordered the mirror from Carid.com for like $264 shipped; way cheaper than the dealership. And installed it myself of course

AEC12B79-699C-4BF8-9DAD-AD8293BF606E.jpg 29478ADE-757C-4616-977C-8F655ADDDFAA.jpg

on the pics you can see the two screws that hold the mirror, and on the other one the connection. I didn’t know where the connection was so I removed the whole door panel, which is pretty simple; took me about 5 minutes to remove both the mirror and door panel. However, I’m sure that you can get away with just removing the window switch; not much room but I’m sure it’s possible. Hope this helps

Comment

• Fabio13
                  • Jul 2014

And...

...did you resolve the issue? All I see is how to replace the mirror. Thanks for that part.
                  2013 Fiat 500 Sport AT, Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra, 3M Crystalline Window Tint, Black top stripes, Black "500" (wide) side stripes. Fiat "500" Stainless door sills by Mopar. BlueTooth music streaming. OBDII BlueTooth Torque gauges streaming to smart phone. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires, STS rear sway bar, Euro+Drive NA 500 Tune, BMC reusable air filter and Spare Tyre with cover.

Blast to drive! 25 years newer than last car!

Comment

• dnc11
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Fabio13
                    And...

...did you resolve the issue? All I see is how to replace the mirror. Thanks for that part.
                    Yes, by replacing the mirror, the service engine light shut off and everything works fine.

Comment