bahis siteleri Betboo yeni adresi izmir escort antalya escort izmir escort porno porno izle bursa escort escort mobil porno havalandirma sistemleri takipçi satın alma instagram beğeni hilesi instagram takipçi hilesi saha betonu izmir escort eskişehir escort bayan Theoretical question: extended warranty, or Apple shares...
500 Madness
   
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Theoretical question: extended warranty, or Apple shares...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,403
    Thanks
    367
    Thanked 295 Times in 220 Posts

    Theoretical question: extended warranty, or Apple shares...

    Within a month, I need to decide whether or not to buy Mopar extended warranty.

    Looking at four more years, 60k. = $1500 max.

    Or, since there are fewer and fewer FIAT dealerships (aka service centers who’ll actually work on FIAT’s), take that $1500, and buy shares in Apple.

    Apple has increased in value 352% in the last four years. The thought here being if the car has a breakdown, it can be repaired anywhere, and the repair funds come from the sale of shares.

    I realize my case probably is worse than most of yours, but in two years of warranty work, the 510 manual transmission, a flywheel and multiple oxygen/boost sensors have been replaced.

    I’m estimating that the work that’s been done so far would have totaled nearly $5k?

    On the other hand, If nothing major breaks again, the $1500 Apple shares could increase in value to $5k just as easily in four years.

    So, what would you do, Mopar warranty, or Apple shares. This is purely for subjective fun, but somewhat serious.
    Last edited by tvmaster; 01-21-2021 at 11:52 AM.
    2017 500 Abarth, manual trans, NAV, Beats, Sunroof, 17" wheels, everything. But no mods. None, nada.

  2. #2
    smark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,030
    Thanks
    990
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
    Within a month, I need to decide whether or not to buy Mopar extended warranty.

    Looking at four more years, 60k. = $1500 max.

    Or, since there are fewer and fewer FIAT dealerships (aka service centers who’ll actually work on FIAT’s), take that $1500, and buy shares in Apple.

    Apple has increased in value 352% in the last four years. The thought here being if the car has a breakdown, it can be repaired anywhere, and the repair funds come from the sale of shares.

    I realize my case probably is worse than most of yours, but in two years of warranty work, the 510 manual transmission, a flywheel and multiple oxygen/boost sensors have been replaced.

    I’m estimating that the work that’s been done so far would have totaled nearly $5k?

    On the other hand, If nothing major breaks again, the $1500 Apple shares could increase in value to $5k just as easily in four years.

    So, what would you do, Mopar warranty, or Apple shares. This is purely for subjective fun, but somewhat serious.
    I would take out Apple shares. My car is going on 10 years old, this June. Nothing major has broken. I took out the Mopar extended warranty. A waste of money. To replace my rear wheel bearings I could’ve paid out of my pocket, less than what I paid for the Mopar extended warranty.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to smark For This Useful Post:

    tvmaster (01-21-2021)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 84 Times in 60 Posts
    Ive had an extended warranty pay for itself twice, in three warranty repairs. Id do it if I was racking up miles. Im not, so I didnt with the Abarth.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to pasomoto For This Useful Post:

    tvmaster (01-21-2021)

  6. #4
    Moderator map's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Eugene
    Posts
    1,995
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 607 Times in 505 Posts
    Warranty is an insurance policy. Like gambling, the odds are in the favor of the seller. You are in S CA so I assume there will be Fiat service centers for the next 4 years, hopefully a couple fairly near you. Warranties are somewhat like taking full coverage auto insurance. You can go a decade or two w/o having your car totaled, but carry that extra payment just in case. I'd weigh in how many miles your car has and if you have disposable income enough to walk away from the car or pay out-of-pocket a single large bill... against being able to afford $1500 cash up front. Are you a guy who might keep the car for another 4 years? The 500 has odd pricing, with 2013 models selling for almost as much as 2018's. By the time you need a big repair the car's value might drop to near the cost of repair.

    As for Apple, yes it could continue to rise in value. On the other hand it could collapse next week. Hang on long enough and it'll go up but maybe it'll drop back to the price it was 10 months ago and your $1500 will be worth $630 just when you need to cash out. I see a bright future for the company in the next few years, but I think it's near peak for its current upswing. It's always a good idea to make long term investments, maybe a bit every month in a 401K (or similar).

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to map For This Useful Post:

    Hermiabarth (01-26-2021), tvmaster (01-21-2021)

  8. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,403
    Thanks
    367
    Thanked 295 Times in 220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pasomoto View Post
    I’ve had an extended warranty pay for itself twice, in three warranty repairs. I’d do it if I was racking up miles. I’m not, so I didn’t with the Abarth.
    Was you’re extended warranty from Mopar, or for a different car/brand? So far, I’m putting 4,000 miles on the car per year...
    2017 500 Abarth, manual trans, NAV, Beats, Sunroof, 17" wheels, everything. But no mods. None, nada.

  9. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,403
    Thanks
    367
    Thanked 295 Times in 220 Posts
    I’ve had my 2007 Mazda 3 5-door since, well, 2007. So yes, I see no reason why I wouldn’t hold onto the Abarth for some time, as long as it’s reasonably reliable and fun. I don’t see the fun changing.
    Apple has done me well over the decades. If they get into the automobile business, watch out?
    2017 500 Abarth, manual trans, NAV, Beats, Sunroof, 17" wheels, everything. But no mods. None, nada.

  10. #7
    smark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,030
    Thanks
    990
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
    I’ve had my 2007 Mazda 3 5-door since, well, 2007. So yes, I see no reason why I wouldn’t hold onto the Abarth for some time, as long as it’s reasonably reliable and fun. I don’t see the fun changing.
    Apple has done me well over the decades. If they get into the automobile business, watch out?
    Did you have a extended auto warranty on the Mazda?

    Apple done really well for me since 1985. Most sought out, and desirable company in the world.

    Last edited by smark; 01-21-2021 at 06:07 PM.

  11. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,403
    Thanks
    367
    Thanked 295 Times in 220 Posts
    No extended on the Mazda, but when I bought it, Mazda was rated as one of the most reliable cars on the planet. So far, that’s panned out.
    2017 500 Abarth, manual trans, NAV, Beats, Sunroof, 17" wheels, everything. But no mods. None, nada.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to tvmaster For This Useful Post:

    smark (01-21-2021)

  13. #9
    Moderator map's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Eugene
    Posts
    1,995
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 607 Times in 505 Posts
    What deductible are you looking at? I was quoted $1700, if I bought w/in 3 years, and a $200 deduct for the drive train. I'll have to look into it further this fall.

    I'm just afraid of putting a jinx on the car. 2 cars ago, I put in a few thousand for a car that would last another 6 years. As soon as the work was done it got slammed from behind on the freeway. It used to be that the warranty was an insurance that could be canceled, which would be a nice insurance.

  14. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,403
    Thanks
    367
    Thanked 295 Times in 220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by map View Post
    What deductible are you looking at? I was quoted $1700, if I bought w/in 3 years, and a $200 deduct for the drive train. I'll have to look into it further this fall.

    I'm just afraid of putting a jinx on the car. 2 cars ago, I put in a few thousand for a car that would last another 6 years. As soon as the work was done it got slammed from behind on the freeway. It used to be that the warranty was an insurance that could be canceled, which would be a nice insurance.
    Either $100 or $200 deductible. There’s a money-back plan as well which adds $200 to the initial cost. Same thing, has to be purchased before third anniversary, and I’d be looking at the ‘everything covered’ plan.
    Last edited by tvmaster; 01-21-2021 at 09:48 PM.
    2017 500 Abarth, manual trans, NAV, Beats, Sunroof, 17" wheels, everything. But no mods. None, nada.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Extended warranty for a used car, yay or nay?
    By Hugo L. in forum Fiat 500 ABARTH General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-08-2020, 01:38 PM
  2. Extended Warranty question?
    By KIJester in forum Fiat 500X Issues and Concerns
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2017, 05:45 PM
  3. Extended warranty question
    By eco7077 in forum Fiat 500 General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-21-2016, 03:09 PM
  4. Fiat Spa? Chrsler Warranty? Performance First Extended Vehicle Warranty?
    By littlejohn in forum Fiat 500 General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM
  5. Extended Warranty?
    By noopd in forum Fiat 500 ABARTH General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 03:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •