Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

MultiAir and Throttle Plate

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HalfPint
    • Nov 2019

MultiAir and Throttle Plate

I know the MultiAir engine does not use the throttle plate most of the time, but it does have have one. I assume it is used at idle, but when else? Is it closed on overrun/compression braking?

It is just open or closed, or does is the position controlled between those points?
    Completely stock 2016 500 Abarth, Rhino & Nero,
    2017 Jeep Renegade 1.4 Turbo, Anvil & Black
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST
  • smark
    • Apr 2014

Comment

• HalfPint
      • Nov 2019

Are you serious? Did you even read my post?

For reference, I've been playing with carburetors and fuel systems for nearly 45 years, and I'm passing familiar with what a throttle is.
      2016 Ford Fiesta ST

Comment

• smark
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by HalfPint
        Are you serious? Did you even read my post?

For reference, I've been playing with carburetors and fuel systems for nearly 45 years, and I'm passing familiar with what a throttle is.
        That wasn’t meant to insult you. I read you post, you should know the answer, if if you been playing with carburetors, and fuel injection.

Comment

• map
          • Dec 2018

I have never seen a mention of the throttle body positioning... just how the intake valves are controlled. I'd imagine, if you have a Scangauge (or one of the multiple diagnosis tools) you could track the TBPS numbers.

Comment

• BigDaddySRT
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by map
            I have never seen a mention of the throttle body positioning... just how the intake valves are controlled. I'd imagine, if you have a Scangauge (or one of the multiple diagnosis tools) you could track the TBPS numbers.
            The Throttle Plate Position is controlled by the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor. (Throttle Pedal)
            Closed 0% - 80% WOT Open Max.

It is viewable within the Can Bus.
            2023 DODGE Durango R/T - HEMI Orange
            Pitch Black, 8 Speed ZF, Fully Optioned

"I thought you had a HEMI. Yeah, I had to have a footprint gas pedal installed. So I stole this pile."

2013 500 ABARTH
            Nero

2014 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, 2nd G Street
            2015, 2016, 2017, 2018,2021 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, Champion E Prepared
            2022 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, 3rd Place, Extreme Street B (NEON ACR Coupe)

Comment

• Fiat500USA
              Amministratore
              • Feb 2011

I was told by the engineer in charge of adapting the MultiAir Turbo to the NA 500 that it is mainly used to boost intake manifold vacuum during certain operating conditions. Exactly when, I don't know. Driving around with one of those scanners would be interesting to see when. I could imagine that adjusting the throttle angle and valve opening you could change the velocity of the air going into the engine, so that would be interesting to see how they tuned that.

The engine can also do "internal EGR" which eliminates an external EGR valve. That is one of the enhancements of "MultiAir II" but our engines may also do that to some measure. I believe I read that in some of the engineering literature I have but don't have access to it right now. This is accomplished through the intake valve* and valve opening overlap. All pretty interesting.

"The updated MultiAir 2 system is an enhanced version of the original that brings about further improvements in terms of efficiency and driving pleasure. Specifically, because MultiAir 2 can decouple and open the intake valves independently from the intake cam lobe, the intake valve opening has been optimized to precisely modulate the amount of exhaust gas recirculated in the combustion chamber via valve overlap, giving the engine internal EGR. "

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2014/03/ne...neva-show.html
              Last edited by Fiat500USA; 01-16-2021, 06:06 PM. Reason: I had to correct myself. I forgot what I wrote in 2014! ;)
              Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
              fiat 500 forum signature
              abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• HalfPint
                • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
                I was told by the engineer in charge of adapting the MultiAir Turbo to the NA 500 that it is mainly used to boost intake manifold vacuum during certain operating conditions. Exactly when, I don't know. Driving around with one of those scanners would be interesting to see when. I could imagine that adjusting the throttle angle and valve opening you could change the velocity of the air going into the engine, so that would be interesting to see how they tuned that.

The engine can also do "internal EGR" which eliminates an external EGR valve. That is one of the enhancements of "MultiAir II" but our engines may also do that to some measure. I believe I read that in some of the engineering literature I have but don't have access to it right now. This is accomplished through the intake valve* and valve opening overlap. All pretty interesting.

"The updated MultiAir 2 system is an enhanced version of the original that brings about further improvements in terms of efficiency and driving pleasure. Specifically, because MultiAir 2 can decouple and open the intake valves independently from the intake cam lobe, the intake valve opening has been optimized to precisely modulate the amount of exhaust gas recirculated in the combustion chamber via valve overlap, giving the engine internal EGR. "

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2014/03/ne...neva-show.html
                Interesting. Without a throttle plate there would be no intake manifold vacuum at all, as the intake would be at atmospheric pressure - but I'm not sure how well it would idle, as they'd have to cut back the lift & duration very far. That might be beyond the dynamic range of the MultiAir system, hence the need for at throttle.

What got me thinking about this was the oil consumption issue on the 2.4 Tigershark, which is supposedly caused by "vacuum being created in the cylinders during deceleration".

Of course that's not a turbo engine, so it would not be under positive cylinder pressure as much. Anyway, without the throttle closed the valve guides and stem seals are never under vacuum, so would never be a way to pull oil in. The vacuum would always be inside the cylinders, and would probably be strongly pulsating. Those pulsations might pull oil past the rings more easily.
                2016 Ford Fiesta ST

Comment

• map
                  • Dec 2018

The way I'm seeing it, there would be more vacuum in the cylinder with the intake valve is clamped shut. The exhaust valve opens and most of the air is expelled. Then you have 2 downward strokes where crankcase pressure would exceed pressure in the cylinders for much of the stroke. Then the exhaust opens and expels air/fumes/oil out the exhaust, that leaked past the rings and valve guides.

Comment

• HalfPint
                    • Nov 2019

Originally posted by map
                    The way I'm seeing it, there would be more vacuum in the cylinder with the intake valve is clamped shut. The exhaust valve opens and most of the air is expelled. Then you have 2 downward strokes where crankcase pressure would exceed pressure in the cylinders for much of the stroke. Then the exhaust opens and expels air/fumes/oil out the exhaust, that leaked past the rings and valve guides.
                    All the intake vacuum in every engine comes from the pumping of the cylinder, that is the source. With the throttle plate closed upstream of the intake valves, a low pressure is created in the intake manifold, everywhere downstream of the throttle plate.

So thinking about it further, they must close the throttle plate on overrun or there would be no compression braking, just like on a diesel which has no throttle.

Taking that further, if you were to try to reduce oil consumption with a firmware change as they have done, the only strategy would be to change the cam timing to reduce pumping efficiency on overrun, thus reducing the intake vacuum in general. Since they only have control over the intake valves, you'd just try to keep the intake valve open longer, along with the throttle plate, while having the fuel shut off. That way there would be no vacuum in the intake, and little in the cylinder. There would also be little compression braking, but drivers with automatics are used to that.

It still doesn't tell if the oil is coming past the rings or valve guides.
                    2016 Ford Fiesta ST

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                      Amministratore
                      • Feb 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if maybe 80% of folks having oil problems is due to people not checking their oil during break-in, damaging the engines, which leads to more consumption.

We've bought 3 Fiats and one Alfa within 8 years and all these cars barely used oil. My Abarth has 60K on it now and I don't think I've added a total of 2 quarts in all those miles. Our 2.4 in the 500X we had I think it was 1/2 a quart in 30K. We have 20K on the Alfa and have added less than 1/2 a quart using 9K oil changes.
                      Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                      fiat 500 forum signature
                      abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• smark
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
                        I wouldn't be surprised if maybe 80% of folks having oil problems is due to people not checking their oil during break-in, damaging the engines, which leads to more consumption.

We've bought 3 Fiats and one Alfa within 8 years and all these cars barely used oil. My Abarth has 60K on it now and I don't think I've added a total of 2 quarts in all those miles. Our 2.4 in the 500X we had I think it was 1/2 a quart in 30K. We have 20K on the Alfa and have added less than 1/2 a quart using 9K oil changes.
                        My 10 year old 500 has never used oil. Same with the 500L we owned. It was hard on transmission. 90% people who drive any brand car. Very seldom check their oil level, between oil changes. I’ve always been conscious in doing so. Every fill up. After working several car dealerships over the years.

Our turbo Accord touring, the Soul ,and Fit never seem to use oil either. My daughters Jeep renegade does use oil. Not in excess.
                        Last edited by smark; 01-17-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• map
                          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by HalfPint
                          All the intake vacuum in every engine comes from the pumping of the cylinder, that is the source. With the throttle plate closed upstream of the intake valves, a low pressure is created in the intake manifold, everywhere downstream of the throttle plate.

So thinking about it further, they must close the throttle plate on overrun or there would be no compression braking, just like on a diesel which has no throttle.

Taking that further, if you were to try to reduce oil consumption with a firmware change as they have done, the only strategy would be to change the cam timing to reduce pumping efficiency on overrun, thus reducing the intake vacuum in general. Since they only have control over the intake valves, you'd just try to keep the intake valve open longer, along with the throttle plate, while having the fuel shut off. That way there would be no vacuum in the intake, and little in the cylinder. There would also be little compression braking, but drivers with automatics are used to that.

It still doesn't tell if the oil is coming past the rings or valve guides.
                          If the intake valve is left closed during deceleration (as the vids imply) then TB position isn't important. Part of the reason for the design is to maintain pressure in the intake manifold. (Have to hook up a meter to check the ECM, realizing the TB would lag a bit.) If they actually shut down the FI and intake valves, I'm wondering why the mod'd Abarths would crackle on deceleration. There should be very little fuel/air in the exhaust?

As for engine braking with most engines, the engine is basically turned into an air compressor, some is due to pulling air thru a "plugged" manifold, some is compressing that air. I don't know what steps Fiat took, if any, to reduce oil consumption... but simply opening the intake valves briefly during deceleration should help. Introducing a bit of air should minimize negative air pressure at the bottom of the stroke?

Comment