Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having an issue. An "ungodly" sound isn't too descriptive. What does it sound like? When does...

Valve length question

Hello,

2013 Abarth in Canada.

I had the typical burnt exhaust valve issue. I decided not to go with the OEM ones since first...

I am going to assume you mean Gen 1 because of cost.

Most Mechanical issues were corrected by 2017. If you do buy a 2016 make sure the motor...

What common issues should I look for in a 500x?

I'm looking at different cars and the 500x has crossed my mind. I'm wondering what issues I should look for because as a Fiat fan and someone needing...

Fiat 500 Specific roof top carrier with bike attachment for sale

I have a like new Fiat 500 Specific roof top carrier bars with a bicycle attachment. I bought it from Micks Garage in England - https://www.micksgara...

Automatic transmission? If that's an automatic it could be as simple as the battery being defective (or not fully charged).

I would start...

Yeah, Ford has a history of "minimal design". They want to save money and keep weight down so they design for using the least material. My neighbor's...

Help us raise funds to support Melanoma Canada.
Help us achieve our goal of raising $150,000 to help support the melanoma and skin cancer com

that's a funny. One of the very few issues I had with my brand new fuel injected YUGO was the PCV hose used to freeze up in freezing weather and oil would...

We had a great time. Thanks to everyone that helped put the event together!

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth - Starts, But Not Moving

Hi all! I've got a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth that has been sitting for almost 6 months. I have not used it in the winter since it's not a great vehicle where...

^^^ This ^^^ its one weak design point. I had the 225 slant six in my Dodge Coronet. Great engine but mine had a habit of blowing oil out of the breather...

Abarth 4C!

This is interesting. They're taking existing 4Cs and reinventing them as Abarths

https://www.motor1.com/news/716049/alfa-romeo-4c-return...

pin which locks the charging door is broken.

Hi
In my 500Ee the pin which locks the charging door is broken.
Any idea where I can get a replacement?

THX...

I didn't actually take the drain plug off. I sucked the oil out of it as the plug was not coming off and If you see the location, you'll...

lol Great vid. Originally I heard they might allow owners to customize the slow speed audio byte. I assume the killjoys at NAFTA nixed that for the US...

That's an interesting case on your 124. Can you get to the vent and run a wire down it? In the old days I'd see grease and, sometimes, diff oil break...

Interesting thoughts ideas here. I like the tip about using the door as leverage, though I'm afraid I'd find out my door pins are shot, too....

Oct 2020 Car&Driver Fiat 124

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smark
    • Apr 2014

Oct 2020 Car&Driver Fiat 124

Just got my 2020 Car and Driver, in the mail. Featuring all the new 2021 new car models. It looks like the Fiat 124 is being discontinued here in North America. Dead in the water too. That’s too bad, it’s was a nice looking roadster, compared to its cousin the Miata.

• tvmaster
    • Oct 2018

Originally posted by smark
    Just got my 2020 Car and Driver, in the mail. Featuring all the new 2021 new car models. It looks like the Fiat 124 is being discontinued here in North America. Dead in the water too. That’s too bad, it’s was a nice looking roadster, compared to its cousin the Miata.

I’ve never heard anyone say the 124 looked ‘girlie’. What’s happened to the swingin’ 60’s auto imagery? If Jaguar released the XKE today, it probably wouldn’t sell. So, which will be more valuable in 10 years, the 500 Abarth, or the 124 Abarth? Just because Mazda parts will be easier to source, I’d bet on the 124.
    2017 500 Abarth, manual trans, NAV, Beats, Sunroof, 17" wheels, everything. But no mods. None, nada.

Comment

• smark
      • Apr 2014

The 124 should hold it value, in 10 years, over any 500. Nothing More fun the driving a 2 seat open top Roadster.

Everyone still loves the Honda S2000. Highly desirable roadster. I think the 124 will someday will have the same appeal.

Last edited by smark; 09-30-2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• BigDaddySRT
        • Jul 2012

The 124 should hold it value, in 10 years, over any 500. Nothing More fun the driving a 2 seat open top Roadster.

Everyone still loves the Honda S2000. Highly desirable roadster. I think the 124 will someday will have the same appeal.

Honda has one thing going for it... Reliability.
        FIAT has one thing going for it... No Reliability.

Once production run stops for the FIAT 124, and the prices plummet even more, I will acquire another racecar.
        2023 DODGE Durango R/T - HEMI Orange
        Pitch Black, 8 Speed ZF, Fully Optioned

"I thought you had a HEMI. Yeah, I had to have a footprint gas pedal installed. So I stole this pile."

2013 500 ABARTH
        Nero

2014 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, 2nd G Street
        2015, 2016, 2017, 2018,2021 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, Champion E Prepared
        2022 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, 3rd Place, Extreme Street B (NEON ACR Coupe)

Comment

• mp4guy
          • Jun 2014

If this is the case, this leaves very little reason for a Fiat dealership to exist. Even MX-5 sales are down sharply, so it doesn't really surprise me with OEMs dropping small cars left and right. But the platform sharing with Mazda should have made this more viable.

It's not a bad car, and people seem to like the 1.4T engine more than the MX-5 one.

Welp.
          Phase 0, Neu-F Torque Bushing, Neu-F 28mm rear bar, El Gato Braces, Corsa Forza center brace, Front & Rear Koni Yellows, 4C coils, Craven Short Shifter, DeFi Boost Gauge, GFB-DV.

Abarth & Co. Corse Marche 38/72 Torino Tel. 794.894

Comment

• tvmaster
            • Oct 2018

Yeah, I have to sadly agree, although if Alfa dealerships don’t close their doors, at least licensed FIAT techs will exist at those locales. But I think FIAT North America died the day Sergio Marchionne did....
            2017 500 Abarth, manual trans, NAV, Beats, Sunroof, 17" wheels, everything. But no mods. None, nada.

Comment

• rustbucket
              • May 2013

Honda has one thing going for it... Reliability.
              FIAT has one thing going for it... No Reliability.
              I don't buy it- my previous 2013 500 Sport was no less reliable than the 2013 Honda CR-V it shared the garage with and unlike the Honda the door trim stayed on the door, the a/c still worked and it didn't have the infamous Honda VTC issue. My current 2018 500 Abarth is better still. I'd have no qualms about buying another new FIAT or an Alfa for that matter provided I had a good servicing dealer .... I'm fortunate enough to have two.
              2018 FIAT 500 Abarth- manual, 17" wheels, sunroof, perla white tricoat, red leather, bone stock (for now) daily driver

2020 Ram 1500 4x4 Big Horn crew cab- 5.7L eTorque Hemi (mild hybrid), 3.92 rear axle, diamond black crystal pearl coat

2021 Harley-Davidson FLHR Road King, billiard red, RDRS

Comment

• map
                • Dec 2018

That's where "your mileage may vary" comes into focus. The 124 has a reputation of reliability because it's main components are built in Japan with final assembly in Turin (drive-line). This gives the 124 a reliability rating about half a point below the MX-5... very good for a sports car. The 500? Not so much. Based on actual service, it's been given a 2 vs a 3.5 for the CR-V... but each car is unique.

Some Fiats require little/no service and it's mostly covered in the first 4 years. Mine was in the shop 20 times (little things) for the first year. To be fair, many of those were double visits to have the same fix completed. I'm not sour about it because I expected tinkering to be needed when I bought the car. Mexican assembled cars simply don't have the same reputation as for US or Canadian built models. At $4/hr for parts workers, $8 for assembly workers, you get what you pay for.

Comment

• rustbucket
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by map
                  Mexican assembled cars simply don't have the same reputation as for US or Canadian built models. At $4/hr for parts workers, $8 for assembly workers, you get what you pay for.
                  Reputation (perception) is one thing, the reality is quite different. From June of this year ....

'Toluca Assembly Plant wins Gold Award as top plant in the Americas'
                  http://https://media.fcanorthamerica...se.do?id=21802

Toluca Assembly is the plant where North American 500's were built. A few years ago FCA started an effort to improve the quality of all its vehicles and it's starting to pay some big dividends.
                  2018 FIAT 500 Abarth- manual, 17" wheels, sunroof, perla white tricoat, red leather, bone stock (for now) daily driver

2020 Ram 1500 4x4 Big Horn crew cab- 5.7L eTorque Hemi (mild hybrid), 3.92 rear axle, diamond black crystal pearl coat

Comment

• smark
                    • Apr 2014

I got 2 vehicles built in Mexico. The 500, and a Honda Fit. Both are built really good. The 500 was a early production car in 2011. How much a auto worker makes, means nothing. Those workers, are dedicated to produce the best they can.

I wonder if FCA will retool the Toluca Mexican assembly plant. To produce Jeep vehicles.
                    Last edited by smark; 10-03-2020, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• map
                      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by rustbucket
                      Reputation (perception) is one thing, the reality is quite different. From June of this year ....

'Toluca Assembly Plant wins Gold Award as top plant in the Americas'
                      http://https://media.fcanorthamerica...se.do?id=21802

Toluca Assembly is the plant where North American 500's were built. A few years ago FCA started an effort to improve the quality of all its vehicles and it's starting to pay some big dividends.
                      Yes, this is after the last 500 was built there; per the article: "This is the first time in the history of the study that FCA outperformed the industry average. J.D. Power uses reported problems per 100 vehicles as a measure to make its assessment. FCA’s total of 153 was 13 less than the industry average and 10 less than its closest competitor." 1.53 faults per car is a huge improvement over their previous score. It was closed and as of May 26th had reopened for one shift, so maybe that helped. Of course Toluca is their stamping plant, relying on the other Mexican companies, who didn't rate #1.

Unfortunately, JD Power rated the 500 as 2 points of 5, comparing it to other cars in its class. Last, behind the Spark and Smart on owner experience for small hatchbacks. Don't get me wrong, I've driven the Spark and you couldn't give me one... but as a commuter it is more practical. Not all of us can make monthly trips to the dealer. As no surprise to those who read posts, most of that dissatisfaction comes from dealer experience. My dealer is great but it is frustrating for an alignment to require 2 trips and weeks to complete, as an example.

Toluca is a brilliant design. They can rearrange the assembly line in days to build different vehicles. This was a carrying on of Chrysler's "quick build" program. Chrysler revolutionized the industry by shortening the time from drawing board to production. In Toluca, quality control has had problems because of the concept. Any new plant design has bugs that can take years to work out. Last week you were assembling Jeeps, this week a 500 and workers need to readjust, machines need fine tuning.
                      Last edited by map; 10-03-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• rustbucket
                        • May 2013

I was a bit surprised when the 500 was discontinued for North America given the flexible manufacturing capabilities of Toluca. No question the 500 is a niche car but I thought FCA could run off a batch of 500's once or twice a year to help continue FIAT's presence in the US/Canada. Basically that market has been ceded to Mini/BMW. I was also a bit surprised that the 124 Spider was discontinued given that it was "profitable" according to FIAT's Olivier Francois. FCA's future plans for FIAT don't seem to include cars with sporting pretentions and I wonder what will happen to Abarth.

Comment

• rustbucket
                          • May 2013

I wonder if FCA will retool the Toluca Mexican assembly plant. To produce Jeep vehicles.
                          They already have; currently Toluca produces the Jeep Compass (almost 144,000 last year), Dodge Journey, and Fiat Freemont (a rebadged Dodge Journey). The Journey is supposed to be discontinued for 2021 and don't know what will take its place.

Comment

• map
                            • Dec 2018

I think the reason Fiat was looking at dropping the 124 was because Mazda wants to redesign the Miata. Mazda would likely have done so for 2021, but I think they like their contract with Fiat. It keeps Miata above the 9K sales levels, which makes both brands profitable. (After all, Mazda only has about 1.7% of market share in US and Europe and the MX-5 draws.)

The 124 gives it more of a classic look. Add the Abarth option and it has more of an old-time sports car feel, too. Unfortunately, neither sells very well. Recently it's not just 124's that are hard to locate. In Oregon a person has to travel to Portland or California to find either a 124 or MX-5.

Comment

• rustbucket
                              • May 2013

I'd read somewhere that the current Miata wouldn't have happened without FCA's partnership given the almost prohibitive cost of certifying a new design, especially a low volume, moderate cost one like the Miata. I would have liked to see the 124 Spider adopt the 1.3L Firefly engine. More hp, lots more torque, less turbo lag, lighter and lower emissions. It would have kept the Spider more than competitive. That said, I hope Mazda has the wherewithal to continue the Miata. A 124 Spider is on my bucket list.

Comment