mobil onay değerli oranlar Betboo izmir escort antalya escort izmir escort porno porno izle bursa escort escort mobil porno havalandirma sistemleri instagram takipci hilesi metin2 pvp serverler saha betonu izmir escort bursa escort izmir escort izmir escort istanbul escort
How many of you guys do Window tinting?
500 Madness
   
 

KONI Shock Value Sale

 
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How many of you guys do Window tinting?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    651
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 132 Times in 102 Posts

    How many of you guys do Window tinting?

    so I just tinted my 2014 Jetta TDI......

    I was tired of my car being a liter oven. I was getting baked it was seriously hot. Working now as a postmates driver for a side job. So my question is how many of you do window tint and wanted a what you think about what I got....

    I got Solar guard cermanic tint. It cost me $285 for this. My main concered was for heat, one guy talked to said i should have got with 3m?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Fabio13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    779
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked 256 Times in 197 Posts
    I have the 3M Crystalline and it cost more than double what you paid including windshield. I love it. It must be done by a certified installer as it’s harder to work with.
    It greatly slows heat buildup but won’t stop it in a car sitting in the sun for some time.
    2013 Fiat 500 Sport AT, Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra, 3M Crystalline Window Tint, Black top stripes, Black "500" (wide) side stripes. Fiat "500" Stainless door sills by Mopar. BlueTooth music streaming. OBDII BlueTooth Torque gauges streaming to smart phone. BF Goodrich Sport Comp II tires, STS rear sway bar, Euro+Drive NA 500 Tune, BMC reusable air filter and Spare Tyre with cover.

    Blast to drive! 25 years newer than last car!

  3. #3
    Moderator map's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Eugene
    Posts
    1,723
    Thanks
    524
    Thanked 503 Times in 420 Posts
    I paid a bit more than you for the 3M ceramic tint on the 5 windows, than you did for Solar Gard. I think the tint you got is perfectly fine, it's just that my installer prefers 3M. He offers a lifetime guarantee, so paying a bit more is worth it to him. Depending on the Solar Gard series used, it can block up to 99% of UV... and UV is the primary cause of heat.

    The 500 is already tinted, so I used a tint that, combined with factory, met the 35% allowed. It blocks something like 80% of UV, plus whatever the factory tint offers. When sun is shining you can feel the difference when rolling up the window.

  4. #4
    Lifetime Member Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    481
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 162 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by map View Post
    I paid a bit more than you for the 3M ceramic tint on the 5 windows, than you did for Solar Gard. I think the tint you got is perfectly fine, it's just that my installer prefers 3M. He offers a lifetime guarantee, so paying a bit more is worth it to him. Depending on the Solar Gard series used, it can block up to 99% of UV... and UV is the primary cause of heat.

    The 500 is already tinted, so I used a tint that, combined with factory, met the 35% allowed. It blocks something like 80% of UV, plus whatever the factory tint offers. When sun is shining you can feel the difference when rolling up the window.
    you say yours is already tinted? from factory?

    this topic came up at a perfect time for me.
    having had zero overtime since covid struck i have zero disposable income. im a real ocd/ott/attention to detail, methodical type of person & am considering buying the raw materials & having a go myself
    i'll be starting out with just the hatch & rear quarters - this is my thinking - 'they are tiny freakin windows, what could possibly go wrong...' well, i could mess up extremely badly & have to get more 3m film & correct whatever mistake i made & not make it again.
    i have a small squeegee & a small rubber thing for putting screen protectors on a phone, a small spray bottle that can hold soapy water, a towel & will watch many youtube vids. pre-cut tint for the 500 is readily available.

    to me, this sounds acceptable & not a massive project...
    - 2013 Gray 500 abarth - Red/Black Leather - Sunroof - Climate Control -
    I'm from England where hot hatches are more common than pubs! Here, where I'm at in NH, not so much....

  5. #5
    Moderator map's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Eugene
    Posts
    1,723
    Thanks
    524
    Thanked 503 Times in 420 Posts
    I didn't realize they were tinted, as it's mild. The shop owner used his meter on the glass to measure the current tint, then we adjusted the film to match maximum allowed tint, mostly it was for the door windows. I still have to roll the windows down when at a stop, looking for pedestrians after dark. (Everyone wears black and will just step out, or ride their bikes the wrong way.)

    It sounds like you have it under control. There are kits on Amazon/Ebay for a few bucks (gloves, squeegee, etc). It helps to make a pattern of the window, to use to pre-trim your material. I tried it before Youtube tutorials... and never got all the bubbles out.

  6. #6
    Lifetime Member Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    481
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 162 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by map View Post
    I didn't realize they were tinted, as it's mild. The shop owner used his meter on the glass to measure the current tint, then we adjusted the film to match maximum allowed tint, mostly it was for the door windows. I still have to roll the windows down when at a stop, looking for pedestrians after dark. (Everyone wears black and will just step out, or ride their bikes the wrong way.)

    It sounds like you have it under control. There are kits on Amazon/Ebay for a few bucks (gloves, squeegee, etc). It helps to make a pattern of the window, to use to pre-trim your material. I tried it before Youtube tutorials... and never got all the bubbles out.
    ah ok thanks for replying about your tint.
    i had a 2013 abarth about 4 years ago and the rear was tinted. it must have been the 35% allowed & was a great job, it appeared to me to be factory it was so good!

    turns out i was spoilt then because my current & newly acquired 2013 has everyone staring in go away, creepers.

    yeah theres plenty of companies that sell quality tints that are pre-cut.

    i'll give it a go & see what happens.

    tbc......
    - 2013 Gray 500 abarth - Red/Black Leather - Sunroof - Climate Control -
    I'm from England where hot hatches are more common than pubs! Here, where I'm at in NH, not so much....

  7. #7
    Moderator map's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Eugene
    Posts
    1,723
    Thanks
    524
    Thanked 503 Times in 420 Posts
    The factory tint is in the glass itself. My first tint attempt was cheap enough, about $20 IIRC. I'm told I probably would have done a better job with the new materials.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Fabio13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    779
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked 256 Times in 197 Posts
    Avoid tint that uses a dye. They are low-end. After some years the tint will turn purple and bubble. Just go to a junkyard sometime.
    2013 Fiat 500 Sport AT, Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra, 3M Crystalline Window Tint, Black top stripes, Black "500" (wide) side stripes. Fiat "500" Stainless door sills by Mopar. BlueTooth music streaming. OBDII BlueTooth Torque gauges streaming to smart phone. BF Goodrich Sport Comp II tires, STS rear sway bar, Euro+Drive NA 500 Tune, BMC reusable air filter and Spare Tyre with cover.

    Blast to drive! 25 years newer than last car!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fabio13 For This Useful Post:

    mattsnapz (08-17-2020)

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    651
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 132 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio13 View Post
    Avoid tint that uses a dye. They are low-end. After some years the tint will turn purple and bubble. Just go to a junkyard sometime.
    The one I did Solar Guard did 99% UV and 59% heat I got 35% in the front and 5% in the rear. They said it was carminic.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to neubauerjoseph For This Useful Post:

    mattsnapz (08-17-2020)

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by map View Post
    The factory tint is in the glass itself. My first tint attempt was cheap enough, about $20 IIRC. I'm told I probably would have done a better job with the new materials.
    I'm in the process of retinting my vehicle, and on my 2013 at least its not in the glass, which is weird.

    I removed the old tint I had put on years ago due to bubbling, and it has another layer of what is probably the 70% factory tint underneath that which I also just removed.

Similar Threads

  1. A not immediately obvious benefit of window tinting
    By Mokie in forum Fiat 500 General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-22-2017, 06:35 AM
  2. Window Tinting - A few questions...
    By SVAGO 1 in forum Projects and Builds
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-11-2017, 11:13 PM
  3. Window Tinting to keep heat out?
    By Fabio13 in forum Detailers Room
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-24-2015, 09:00 AM
  4. School me on window tinting
    By italophile in forum Fiat 500 General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 01:21 PM
  5. Tinting the windows...should you also tint...
    By Gavin in forum Fiat 500 General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 10:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •