Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

TigerShark Lawsuit on Oil Consumption/Failure

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffb99tx
    • Aug 2015

Yes, that is the letter I received alerting me to the issue. I will probably take it in for the oil change in about two weeks as I am busy this weekend.

Jeff

Comment

• BigDaddySRT
      • Jul 2012

27. Oil Pressure Warning Light
      This light indicates low engine oil pressure. The light should turn on momentarily when the engine is started. If the light turns on while driving, stop the vehicle and shut off the engine as soon as possible. A chime will sound for four minutes when this light turns on. Do not operate the vehicle until the cause is corrected. This light does not indicate how much oil is in the engine. The engine oil level must be checked under the hood.

This is an oil pressure sending unit pulling a "pressure" signal from one of the oil galleys.
      No Oil = Low Oil Pressure
      Busted Oil Pump = Low Oil Pressure

Oil is the life blood of your car... oil is so very important especially with this Multi-Air System.
      2023 DODGE Durango R/T - HEMI Orange
      Pitch Black, 8 Speed ZF, Fully Optioned

"I thought you had a HEMI. Yeah, I had to have a footprint gas pedal installed. So I stole this pile."

2013 500 ABARTH
      Nero

2014 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, 2nd G Street
      2015, 2016, 2017, 2018,2021 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, Champion E Prepared
      2022 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, 3rd Place, Extreme Street B (NEON ACR Coupe)

Comment

• JulieO
        • May 2021

I have a 2017 Fiat 500X and received the oil consumption recall notice a few months ago. I took it to my local Fiat dealer in Feb and they began the oil consumption test. I brought it back a few days ago for the final check and it failed all the diagnostics. They called me last night and said it will be receiving a new engine. I guess it still has to be approved by Chrysler, but the service manager said it clearly failed and will get approved for the new engine. I won't get my car back for 2-4 weeks.

Comment

• map
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by JulieO
          I have a 2017 Fiat 500X and received the oil consumption recall notice a few months ago. I took it to my local Fiat dealer in Feb and they began the oil consumption test. I brought it back a few days ago for the final check and it failed all the diagnostics. They called me last night and said it will be receiving a new engine. I guess it still has to be approved by Chrysler, but the service manager said it clearly failed and will get approved for the new engine. I won't get my car back for 2-4 weeks.
          That's good news on the new engine, but why are they holding it hostage until the new engine arrives?

Comment

• luckymoi
            • Jun 2011

back in a sec...
            headed into the garage,... better check my oil level (after the oil change)

Comment

• Alisobob
              • May 2021

" 1 quart per 750 miles" is considered acceptable?

Comment

• map
                • Dec 2018

It varies by engine and make, but several makes allow for even higher consumption. Certain Audi and BMW engines consider a quart per 600-700 miles as being normal. Honda just lost a class-action on engines that were sucking oil. Their "solution" was to offer a 10 year, 150K warranty... and let them suck oil. The 2013-14 Insight probably triggered the original suit. Audi and Subaru are facing similar suits, with Subaru saying a quart every 800-1000 miles is OK. Their "solution" is to offer $500 to some owners.

As oils get thinner, engines smaller, and tolerances get looser (in an effort for best MPG) consumption goes up. It is only made worse with longer oil change intervals. I assume having the underside of the piston sprayed w/ oil might also increase consumption. While some engine makes are noted for high consumption, others engines vary wildly... from almost none used to near 2 stroke consumption... same engine and assembly line.

Comment

• Alisobob
                  • May 2021

Originally posted by map
                  As oils get thinner, engines smaller, and tolerances get looser (in an effort for best MPG) consumption goes up.
                  Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........... tolerances have never been tighter

Comment

• 5port
                    AWD enthusiast
                    Lifetime Member
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by Alisobob
                    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........... tolerances have never been tighter
                    Oil rings have never been looser. Low tension oil rings being used thru-out the industry.

2016 500X Easy,Go pedal, Autoflash, LED Headlights and reverse, LED DRL, carbon fiber shift gate, ST T9 wheels, PIAA wipers, '17 motor mounts, AEM Dryflow

Comment

• HalfPint
                      • Nov 2019

Yup, low tension rings and short skirt pistons (Hyundai just put a new short block in our Elantra at 110k mi). It seems like MultiAir may be causing stronger low pressure pulses in the cylinder than would happen with a throttle plate, making it pull more oil past the rings - but that's a guess on my part.
                      Completely stock 2016 500 Abarth, Rhino & Nero,
                      2017 Jeep Renegade 1.4 Turbo, Anvil & Black
                      2016 Ford Fiesta ST

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                        Amministratore
                        • Feb 2011

Below are the official oil consumption guidelines. Compared to some other companies, the FCA guidelines are pretty lenient, at least for "normal" use.

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
                        Hi David,

The engine holds 4 quarts. I think the main thing is if you remembered what the mileage was the last time you checked the oil before having to add some and where it was on the stick. Probably impossible to recall info like this so maybe fill it up, make a note of the mileage and then check it at a regular interval and see how low it is and record the mileage. Check the oil the same way to be consistent as oil levels will vary depending on the when it is checked.

Here are the official Fiat 500 oil consumption guidelines, courtesy of Chrysler:

DISCUSSION:
                        Engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. Varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines.

Oil Consumption
                        The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 3,200 km (2,000 mi) for the 1st 80,467 km (50,000 mi). For vehicles with more then 80,467 km (50,000 mi) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 1,207 km (750 mi).

CAUTION: This above rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule,

CAUTION:
                        This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). See ‘Causes for Oil Consumption’ below. Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be higher and may include Fleet and Commercial customers. There are many factors that can affect a Owner's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Inspect each condition listed below prior to determining if the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption. If abnormal oil consumption is suspected, refer to the detailed diagnostic procedures available in DealerCONNECT

CAUTION:
                        Operating the vehicle with an oil level that is below the minimum level indicated on the engine oil dipstick can result in severe engine damage. Repairs resulting from operating an engine with insufficient oil are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Oil Dilution (Fuel and Water)
                        On vehicles that are normally driven short distances, less than 8 km (5 mi), especially in colder weather, unburned fuel and condensation generated from cold engine operation may not get hot enough to evaporate out of the oil. When this occurs, the dipstick may indicate that the oil level is over-full. Subsequent driving on a trip of sufficient length to
                        enable normal engine operating temperature for 30 minutes or more, in order to vaporize excess moisture and fuel, may give the customer the impression of excessive oil consumption.

Causes for Oil Consumption

Aggressive Driving
                        Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds with high RPM's will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected. A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven
                        aggressively. Aggressive means; operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This driving habit will require the owner to check the engine oil level at frequent intervals, to verified the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. Oil level should be checked every time you get fuel.

Towing or Heavy Usage
                        Towing a trailer will increase oil consumption and may cause oil consumption to fall below the normal accepted rate referenced in this bulletin for an unloaded vehicle in a personal use application. Large frontal area trailers will further increase the work required from the engine, especially at highway speeds increasing the rate of oil consumption.

Engine Wear
                        Piston scuffing, excessive piston-to-wall clearance, tapered or out of round cylinders, worn, damaged or improperly installed valve guides, seals and piston rings will cause an increase in oil consumption.

Engine Temperature
                        If an engine is run at overheated temperatures for more than brief periods, oil will oxidize at a faster than normal rate. In addition, gaskets may distort, piston rings may stick, and excessive wear may result. Verify that all cooling system components are in proper working order.
                        Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                        fiat 500 forum signature
                        abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment