Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

ChipBox Install & Test

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheDan
    • Mar 2014

ChipBox Install & Test

The Chipbox by Seletron is a simple power adder. On the 124, it connects to the Boost Absolute Pressure Sensor (Bosch 281002996, PREX1), Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor (Bosch 281006028, PREX2), and the wastegate solenoid (Pierburg valve). The box intercepts data from these sensors and manipulates it to produce more power.

I emailed Seletron asking them for more info on the box’s operation, and received this reply:
    Fuel trim is a consequence of the manipulation of the air pressure signals Prex1 and Prex2 and pierburg valve.
    By letting more air inside the combustion chamber the fuel quantity has also to increase in order to maintain an optimal fuel-air ratio (the lambda sensor will inform the ECU that it has to compensate).
    Furthermore, the ignition timing is also adjusted by the ECU to prevent misfires and, again, make sure that the combustion is complete.
    Based on this very high level explanation, I assume it just shoves more air into the engine and lets the ECU’s built in closed loop feedback do the adjustments.

Amusingly the packaging proudly touts that it is made in Italy, however the Chipbox itself sports a China Export mark.

The installation instructions are a bit simplistic. More details would have been nice, but I’ve resolved that issue for y’all with the video above. Overall the installation was easy. It took around 30-45 minutes, most of which was spent getting access to the Boost pressure sensor.

The good news is it did make a measurable difference in acceleration. I captured the 40-60mph, 60-80mph, and 80-100mph times while in 4th gear. This provided nice coverage of the rev range from 2400rpm to redline. Results posted below… It averaged a a 17% increase on the top end, which if we extrapolate from the factory horsepower of 160, gives us 187hp. Not too bad for a few hundred dollars and 30 minutes of work.

| austinfiatclub.com | bookautowerks.com |
  • CoachRick
    • Aug 2015

Let me know if you want to practice installation on our Elle
    Current vehicles:
    2020 Volvo XC40 T5 Ice Silver
    2013 Volvo C70 Caspian Blue
    Previous Fiats:2017 FIAT 500L Lounge 2015 500L Lounge; 1979 Strada

Comment

• douglawrence42
      • Oct 2019

A power mod review with test data! Your my hero! Great job.
      2013 500 Abarth
      Bad ideas, poorly executed by a middle age man of limited skill and intelligence-
      Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/c/everyotherfridayoff
      instagram: douglawrence42

Comment

• TheDan
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by douglawrence42
        A power mod review with test data! Your my hero! Great job.
        Thanks! Yeah I'm skeptical about everything and want to see measurable differences. I want to try out the Pedalbooster as well, but unsure how to measure what it does. That seems like more of a subjective change...

Comment

• TheDan
          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by CoachRick
          Let me know if you want to practice installation on our Elle
          I can definitely help you install it if you get one.

Comment

• TheDan
            • Mar 2014

So what I thought was a China Export mark is actually a European certification mark. They look very similar. Sneaky bastards...

Comment

• gverelli
              • May 2017

Nice write up and comparison with real tests, now if only the usd to cad exchange was normal :S

Comment

• lammie200

I had a Chipbox on my 500 Abarth for quite a while before I went ECU tune. The Chipbox worked well and was super reliable.
                2017 Abarth Grigio Cenre SR | OEM Leather | OEM 17s | Max Flo Wrapped CAI | E+D Tune P1 | TMC Autoflash | 4C CPs | MPx AB Exhaust | RRM Turbo Blanket | Forge RBOV DV & WGA | ATM FMIC | PCV Catch Can | 5mm/16mm Spacers | Neu-F Rear Bar | DNA Lower & Side Braces & Camber Plates | 4 Konis | 4 Springs | GP End Links | MPx MC Bracket | Power Stop Z23 Pads & Rotors | 2" Steering Wheel Spacer

2013 Sport Argento SR - SOLD - | Many Mods

Comment

• CoachRick
                  • Aug 2015

So, Mr. Dan, what's the difference in our central Texas traffic with all the 0-65 "highways" in the area? That would be the most important factor for me(and My Darling) as we are routinely up and down Parmer Lane, 1431, 183...with the frequent stop/start activity along those routes. Do you notice a significant difference in the take-off and "on-ramp" performance?
                  Current vehicles:
                  2020 Volvo XC40 T5 Ice Silver
                  2013 Volvo C70 Caspian Blue
                  Previous Fiats:2017 FIAT 500L Lounge 2015 500L Lounge; 1979 Strada

Comment

• TheDan
                    • Mar 2014

There's definitely an improvement in it's get up and go. It's not huge, but is noticeable.

Comment