Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

I might check a parts listing first, especially if a Fiat dealer isn't close by. This diagram shows the door and latch mechanism. (You might want to change...

Alfa is self destructing into incompetency. They are going all in on EV just as the market for them crashes. The Tonale is a failure. It is like $10k...

Frankenarms Installed Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sportfan
    Lifetime Member
    • Nov 2015

Frankenarms Installed Yesterday

To save weight and have replaceable ball joints and bushings I modified my stamped lower control arms on my 13' Sport. I welded steel braces on the underside to make them stronger. I had to bore out the bushing bore on the rear and weld a steel sleeve in to accept new Powerflex purple bushings. Then I had to bore out the ball joint bore so I could press in new NAPA ball joints. Before I installed the new parts I had them powder coated. Now I need alignment done. I had a transmission seal leak . So while the car was down I replaced the seals and wheel bearings also. With so many different postings on the axle nut torque , I called SKF and talked to their automotive engineer . He said the 229 ft. pds. is correct. One note on the wheel bearings is they can be installed backwards. If they are your antilock brakes won't work. The seal on one side of the bearings has magnets in it that the sensor in the knuckle reads wheel speed from.Frankenarms (5).jpgFrankenarms (1).jpg
  • Fiat88
    • May 2012

Nice work! I wish something like this was available from the aftermarket, especially like the idea of replaceable ball joints. After having both ball joints fail at 30,000 and issues with superseded parts costing me $1000 for each side, I have anxiety.

Comment

• sportfan
      Lifetime Member
      • Nov 2015

I've read that ball joint failure is quite common with Fiats. I wonder if it is more commom with the cars with the stamped steel control arms or the cars with the cast control arms. I also wonder if the failures are the control arms or ball joints. I found cracks in my control arms that were near the rear bushing bores. So I guess its possible that they could be around the area where the ball joints are pressed in also.control arm crack (2).jpgcontrol arm crack (3).jpg

Comment

• Hermiabarth
        Lifetime Member
        Lifetime Member
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Fiat88
        Nice work! I wish something like this was available from the aftermarket, especially like the idea of replaceable ball joints. After having both ball joints fail at 30,000 and issues with superseded parts costing me $1000 for each side, I have anxiety.
        There are some really nicely designed control arms from DNA racing, made in Italy - See link below. They have replaceable ball joints and are made for the North American Abarth. I don't know if they work for the 500. I have several other DNA chassis braces and they are well made. I would definitely change to these control arms when I need ball joints (or sooner if I go autocrossing).

These suspension arms wishbones kit ihave been designed to improve the stiffness and strength of the arms, to decrease weight of the masses on the ground and to eliminate unwanted movement of the wheels.
        2016 Abarth Rosso: auto, sunroof, nero leather, electronic climate control, no Beats, ATM fmic, DNA chassis braces, Prometeo skid plate, 25mm tubular rear torsion bar, wheel stud conversion, E.C. V. 3 intake, GFB+ diverter valve, Gruvenparts billet oil filter canister, Euro 4th gen halo tail lights, LED headlights, fog lights, Kenwood Excelon DDX 9906 head unit, Neuspeed SS brake-lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, 50th Anniversary Abarth wheels, 205/40/17 Michelin Pilot AS4 tires.

Comment

• Mikeyjm1
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Hermiabarth
          There are some really nicely designed control arms from DNA racing, made in Italy - See link below. They have replaceable ball joints and are made for the North American Abarth. I don't know if they work for the 500. I have several other DNA chassis braces and they are well made. I would definitely change to these control arms when I need ball joints (or sooner if I go autocrossing).

https://www.dna-racing.it/en/fiat-50...-arms-kit.html
          Late to the party. He actually tried and just sold off the DNA arms. They didn’t clear his wheels enough and were rubbing.
          16’ 500X Pop, Rosso, 1.4T/M6, 18” O.Z. 45th Anniversary, H&R springs, Momo shift knob, K&N drop in, MPX TB, Deyeme Racing CDV delete, Magnaflow with 2.5” B-pipe by http://stagefp.com/, ATP DP. *finally a beta tune by Bob Bishop
          15’ 4C Spider, Madraperla White, Track Pack & Red Leather seats.
          13’ 500 Abarth, Bianco, M5, 17”, Koni shocks, Eibach Prokit, CFP Hats, ES/EC bumps and seats, Powerstop brakes, K&N drop in. (Wife's)
          95’ Wrangler, Aqua, 4.0/Auto,
          4” lift, too much to list (Also Hers)

Comment

• Hermiabarth
            Lifetime Member
            Lifetime Member
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Mikeyjm1
            Late to the party. He actually tried and just sold off the DNA arms. They didn’t clear his wheels enough and were rubbing.
            Yes I recall seeing that. I wonder just what difference there is between the 500 control arm geometry and the Abarth, aside from the stamped vs. cast material.
            2016 Abarth Rosso: auto, sunroof, nero leather, electronic climate control, no Beats, ATM fmic, DNA chassis braces, Prometeo skid plate, 25mm tubular rear torsion bar, wheel stud conversion, E.C. V. 3 intake, GFB+ diverter valve, Gruvenparts billet oil filter canister, Euro 4th gen halo tail lights, LED headlights, fog lights, Kenwood Excelon DDX 9906 head unit, Neuspeed SS brake-lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, 50th Anniversary Abarth wheels, 205/40/17 Michelin Pilot AS4 tires.

Comment

• sportfan
              Lifetime Member
              • Nov 2015

DNA (2).jpg

I believe the shape of the cast and stamped control arms are about the same. The picture attached here will show the differences between a stamped control arm and the DNA control arm. We never could figure out why my wheels rubbed and many other sets of these were sold with no problems.

Comment

• Hermiabarth
                Lifetime Member
                Lifetime Member
                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by sportfan
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]36735[/ATTACH]

I believe the shape of the cast and stamped control arms are about the same. The picture attached here will show the differences between a stamped control arm and the DNA control arm. We never could figure out why my wheels rubbed and many other sets of these were sold with no problems.
                Very curious. Is it possible that you got a set of Euro spec arms instead of the North American variant? I am interested because I'm thinking of installing the DNA arms; they seem to be a much better (and lighter) part than the stock cast arm. It's especially good to get rid of unsprung weight.
                Last edited by Hermiabarth; 04-15-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• sportfan
                  Lifetime Member
                  • Nov 2015

All I can say is the vendor I bought them from contacted DNA about the problem . They bolted on and worked fine as long as I didn't turn the steering too far either way, then the wheels rubbed. The oem Abarth are strong but, like you say heavy. I would like to know how much one of them weighs. When I rebuilt my stamped out control arms I added about a pound of metal to each one. I would guess that they are lighter than the cast Abarth control arms. The DNA control arms weight are 5 lbs. 4.9 oz., the stamped out control arms are 4 lbs. 14.8 oz., and my Frankenarms are 6 lbs. 5 oz..

Comment