Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Working to correct a case of "Abarth Shudder"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ewflyer
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by HalfPint
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive. I'm hanging out in a 56 year old, old guy bubble myself, and basically won't watch any videos unless I'm desperate.
    No problem, I don't mind putting it into words.

PA? When I was young I lived in Palmer Township (between Nazareth and Easton)

Comment

• ewflyer
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by smark
      I saw that clip too.
      Yes, it was his experience (as it played out in the 2 videos you and I are referencing) that made me wonder if the shudder might be a combination of old/torn engine mounts and a right-side drive shaft that is worn and sloppy.

They seemed to think that the car was slightly better after the engine mounts were replaced. But they were really happy after the drive shaft replacement. So I'm going to do the same, in the same order, with a thorough test-drive evaluation in between.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
        Amministratore
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by samwichse
        Yeah, videos are a desperation act for me, too. A nice write-up with a couple pictures is worth its weight in gold. Seeking back and forth in the videos, pacing, camera work, etc. You end up with a 14 minute video with the torque numbers (for instance) scattered throughout when you are probably just looking for help in one or two steps you can find instantly with a skim or a Ctrl+f + keyword.

Videos are just popular because propping up a camera and talking stream of consciousness requires very little effort compared to a real write-up.
        That's good to know. When I write the How To guides on Fiat500USA.com I think in the back of my mind if I should be doing a video.
        Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
        fiat 500 forum signature
        abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Fiat500USA
          Amministratore
          • Feb 2011

Typically a vibration when accelerating is CV Joint. Of course, at 50K there is wear and tear on everything, so it makes sense that replacing items like mounts that absorb vibration will help dampen feeling vibrations.

A quick thought is to inspect the rubber boots on the CV Joints to see if there is any leakage of grease. Obviously a torn boot is a red flag we all know about, but leakage at the clamp is a less obvious failure.

Worn engine mounts can put strains on CV Joints, too, especially on inner joints. In some cases, it doesn't take much for a worn motor mount to cause an inner CV Joint apart. That is another red flag for a technician to look if they come across an axle shaft that pulled apart while driving. So you can see some wear on mounts can lead to issues.

It can be a combination of things that can conspire to cause these vibrations. Many times one worn thing has a domino effect. Let us know how you make out.
          Last edited by Fiat500USA; 01-20-2020, 09:52 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo:)
          Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
          fiat 500 forum signature
          abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• KellyfromVA
            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by ewflyer
            My 2012 Abarth has developed a case of "Abarth Shudder" which is a subtle-but-unmistakable shaking feeling that is most noticeable when you spend time at around 3,000 RPM (like cruising in traffic on the highway).

The shudder has a mild, smooth feeling. It isn't sharp or rough as if there loose parts or parts knocking together, and it seems to me that it's most obvious when I'm cruising along with the revs at around 3,000 and I begin giving the engine more throttle. There are plenty of times (different speeds and engine RPMs) where I can't feel the shudder at all (or I'm just not able to notice it).

The question is: What the hell causes Abarth Shudder?
            Is your car an automatic or manual transmission?

Comment

• ewflyer
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by KellyfromVA
              Is your car an automatic or manual transmission?
              Why would anyone drive an automatic Abarth? (I kid, I kid, easy now auto-drivers, your life choices are all valid and reasonable...)
              Last edited by ewflyer; 01-20-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• ftorpedo
                • Apr 2022

Originally posted by ewflyer
                Yes, it was his experience (as it played out in the 2 videos you and I are referencing) that made me wonder if the shudder might be a combination of old/torn engine mounts and a right-side drive shaft that is worn and sloppy.

They seemed to think that the car was slightly better after the engine mounts were replaced. But they were really happy after the drive shaft replacement. So I'm going to do the same, in the same order, with a thorough test-drive evaluation in between.

Hi sir, did you ever found the problem ?

Comment

• ewflyer
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ftorpedo
                  Hi sir, did you ever found the problem ?
                  My final analysis of the shudder/shake was that it came from 2 sources (maybe even 3 sources).

The first thing I replaced was the right-side drive shaft. This seemed to make some improvement, but did not completely solve it.

The second thing I replaced were the engine mounts. This mostly solved the issue.

Soon after I replaced the engine mounts and right-side drive shaft I got a misfire OBDII code on one of the cylinders. I replaced all of the spark plugs (it was time to do that anyway). It may be true that this final bit of maintenance was the final item needed to get the car smoothed out again. I wonder if the spark on the cylinder with the misfire OBDII code was weak long before the code came on.

Anyway these are the things I replaced, and in the end I had the car running smooth again.

Comment