Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

Just bought "new" 2018 500X Lounge - Trans question?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rje_nc
    • May 2017

Just bought "new" 2018 500X Lounge - Trans question?

I just purchased a "new" used 2018 FIAT 500X Lounge with 126 miles from the local KIA dealer. Our local FIAT Studio closed last summer and this car was auctioned off from their inventory when they closed. After appearing on several other area dealer lots as a used car this fall, I got a great deal on a really nice car. The KIA sales experience was horrible, but I love the car.

I took my first long highway trip last weekend and noticed that the transmission never would shift into 9th gear on the highway (70 mph). It was running about 2K rpm at 70mph in 8th, and I could manually shift into 9th gear and see the rpm drop to about 1600 rpm.

Is it normal for the transmission to not shift to 9th gear under these conditions (rolling hills, interstate hwy driving)? I averaged almost 30 MPG according to the trip computer, and everything sounded good. Just wondering what kind of speeds and driving conditions would cause the car to select 9th gear on it's own?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to learning more about my new car.
    '15 500 Abarth
    '18 500X Lounge
  • Fiat500USA
    Amministratore
    • Feb 2011

Cool deal! It takes a sensitive foot to get the car into 9th gear. If I remember correctly on ours would get into 9th around that speed. It took a little while, too, at a steady speed and any incline or increase in engine load would cause a downshift. Having said that, the transmission adapts and with those little miles it is possible the car is still learning your driving habits plus you are still at the beginning of break-in. We noticed everything smoothed out and fuel economy generally will rise some the more miles you put on.

Have fun and enjoy your car. We really liked our 500X.

I have a lot of info on the blog about the 500X. Check out when you can: http://www.fiat500usa.com/search/label/Fiat%20500X
    Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
    fiat 500 forum signature
    abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• neubauerjoseph
      • Feb 2014

I really love the Fiat 500X, I almost bought one. The wife just wanted a QX80/QX56. She just really loved that car. I still want to get one. Why did I buy a Jetta we couldn't find a nice 500X that hit my price range I need to be in, kind of wish I would have held out for a lease but didn't have any luck on getting the lease price Fiat USA says it should cost. but can you post some pictures please

Comment

• neubauerjoseph
        • Feb 2014

anytime people buy fiat's is a good day in my book.

Comment

• Volfy
          • Feb 2019

It would take an Act of Congress to get our 500X to shift into 9th gear. And at least a Binding Resolution for 8th. Frankly, I really don't see the point of having 9sp in this tranny. Most of the time it behaves like a 6sp... 7 at most, taking too long to upshift in the lower gears IMO. We love the car overall, but the tranny is my least favorite part.

As for mpg, I would reset the trip meters and do a calculation at each fill-up. The onboard mpg display is usually on the optimistic side. Even then, you must be hypermiling it to get it to read 30mpg.

BTW, congrats on the new ride. It doesn't matter how you got it, as long as you got a great deal on the car you want.
          '18 500X Lounge AWD

Comment

• rje_nc
            • May 2017

Thanks very much for all the info. It sounds like my transmission is operating as designed.

I'm really happy about getting this 2018 Lounge. Nicely equipped, and I did not want the new engine with the turbo and the premium gas that the 2019's required. I was also really happy about the 40% discount from the sticker price for a new (but apparently unwanted) car.

FIAT 500X - 1.jpg
            '15 500 Abarth
            '18 500X Lounge

Comment

• neubauerjoseph
              • Feb 2014

So you paid like $18,000 for a $29,000 car? if its true its insane.

Comment

• rje_nc
                • May 2017

It was pretty insane. With their $750 dealer doc fee I did pay $18k. But I had to work for it, the purchase experience at the local KIA dealer was awful.

1) When I first test drove the car before Christmas, in their first price quote they tried to add $900 in freight charges for a car that had been in Central NC for the last 18 months. They also asked if they could run a credit check on me to "determine the final price of the car"! I refused.
                2) After stopping me from walking out they fixed that but then added $500 to the price of the car over the price they were advertising on their website. I did walk away at that point.
                3) After Christmas they lowered the asking price by $750 to $17,750, but when I brought my wife with me for a second look and test drive they tried to bring out their original offer sheet with the former higher asking price. I almost walked out again, but I this point I wanted the car.
                4) I offered $500 below their current asking price and let them arrange the financing if they could match my local CU.

Every step of the process I felt they were trying to see what they could get away with. This dealer seemed to focus on the monthly payment focused buyer. But in the end I am happy with my purchase, and I will never work with that dealer again. I removed the dealer sticker and license plate frame from the car as soon as I got home!
                '15 500 Abarth
                '18 500X Lounge

Comment

• Volfy
                  • Feb 2019

Sounds like you got a sweet deal. The dealer was just doing everything a dealer is supposed to do... that is, doing what they can do maximize profit without pissing off the buyer into walking off the lot. It's up to the buyer to do the exactly opposite... that is, doing what you can to get the car you want at the lowest price you can without making the dealer quit working with you because they think you are just lowballing them. It's how the game is played. As long as you keep the right mindset, buying a car can be - and should be - an enjoyable experience.

We worked with 3 other local Fiat dealers, because finding one 150 miles away that had the best deal. Our brand new '18 500X stickered for $32k and we got it for $10k less than that, with full factory warranty. Yes Fiat is struggling a bit in the US, but that also means a great opportunity to save a bundle.
                  '18 500X Lounge AWD

Comment

• teej626
                    • Jul 2013

I currently have a 2018 500x Urbana and my tranny behaves the same as yours. During my commute to work I typically reach speeds of 70 to 80mph (legally) and the car never shifts into 9th on it's own. I have to manually shift it into 9th. There also have been times where it won't go into 8th in the 70's and RPM is around 2500.

On the flip side, I had a 2016 Easy and that car had zero problems shifting into 9th on it's own. I'd have to say, for the 9-speed ZF, it worked flawlessly. Shifts were quick and accurate and every gear worked properly. As a contrast, I also had a 2017 Jeep Cherokee with the same 2.4L/9 speed combo, and that transmission would NEVER shift into 9th. It also had the worst manual mode I've ever experienced. I could manually shift into 9th, the display would show 9th as the gear selected, but would not leave 8th. I could be rolling down hill at 80mph barely touching the gas pedal, no go. When I would manually shift, even from a dead shop, the timing of the shifts were horrible. I rarely put it in manual mode. Suffice to say I no longer have that car. With the same engine and tranny as the 500x, it had horrible acceleration and ate gas. I liked the Cherokee for every other reason, but if I ever bought one again, it will not be with the 2.4L.

Comment

• rje_nc
                      • May 2017

I now have about 2500 miles on my 2018 Lounge, and the transmission seems to work well as long as I don't try to get too aggressive with it. It seems to prefer a smooth touch on the throttle. My car will not shift into 9th gear on it's own for any driving that I am doing, but 2K rpm at 70 mph seems pretty good to me. Manually shifting into 9th leaves me at about 1600 rpm, that seems quite low. Not sure why 9th gear is so tall, seems like an Autoban gear that I probably will seldom if ever use.

The good news is for a new car my mileage has been quite good. Overall really enjoying the car, really like how it rides and drives (firm but not harsh).
                      '15 500 Abarth
                      '18 500X Lounge

Comment

• Saponetta
                        Lifetime Member
                        Lifetime Member
                        • Sep 2018

Kia and Hyundai deal with a LOT of secondary finance. Most people buy them because they are cheap. People who dont see the value in a Honda or toyota. People focused on lowest payment possible, andnusually longer terms. That's why they try to get a bureau before talking numbers. No point in taking a price if their credit is gonna require a 2000 fee to get a deal bought thru a secondary lender. I'm not shocked you had an annoying experience at a Kia dealer. Their salesman are used to frequent laydown deals pending approval, not actually negotiating.
                        2013 abarth
                        Spec 2+ clutch
                        Working on new divided turbo setup
                        Homebrew fmic w/ corsa forza hoses
                        Stock Downpipe with cat and 2.25discharge
                        Coils
                        Homemade cowl intake
                        ECB yellows/stop tech fluid
                        Koni/vogtland
                        Braces and strut mounts
                        Corsa forza vento
                        E30 blend

2013 abarth tork tuned
                        cowl intake, custom fmic and bypass valve, vogtlands, rear vette bilstiens, long 3 inch downpipe to stock rear section.

Comment