500 Madness

Thread: Bulb sizes !!

Thanks

Bulb sizes !!

I'm planning to get a HID kit for my 2012 fiat 500.
    It says the bulb sizes for low beam is H1 R2 on manuals.
    didn't hear about H1R2 bulbs.
    does anyone have hints about H1R2 bulbs?
    is it same thing as H1 bulbs?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by novpluie View Post
    I'm planning to get a HID kit for my 2012 fiat 500.
    It says the bulb sizes for low beam is H1 R2 on manuals.
    didn't hear about H1R2 bulbs.
    does anyone have hints about H1R2 bulbs?
    is it same thing as H1 bulbs?

Here is what I found after some searching. The H1R2 bulb is the same as the 9012 halogen bulb and uses an infrared coating to enhance the lamps brightness without increasing it's heat output (in essence). The lamps are now made by Phillips and can ALSO be used as a 9006 replacement but a tab will have to be removed and on some bulbs at least, it's marked. So I guess the H1R2 is the Euro designation, whilst here in the US, it's known as the 9012.

HID bulbs require a ballast to work as they are high intensity discharge bulbs and the ballast is to generate the high electrical current necessary to generate the discharge so when converting halogen headlight to HID, you have to add a ballast to the headlight assembly and these are included in the kits BTW.

We are fortunate that we only get the projection headlamps here in the US as the biggest problem with HID/Xenon headlamps is when they are fitted to reflector optic based parabolic headlamp assemblies, it changes the beam patter radically due to the placement of the light's arc (parallel to the bulb's slender cylinder, rather than as a transverse filament in a standard halogen bulb) and thus can cause all kinds of glare as a result if the reflector assembly isn't replaced to one suited for HID/Xenon bulbs.

Projection headlamps do not have this issue as they rely on a glass optic in front of the bulb for the beam pattern and the deep parabolic reflector is smooth, rather than bumpy and simply reflects but not directs.

I don't know if you've even tried the headlamps with the conventional bulbs but the H1R2 bulbs are said to be brighter than conventional halogen bulbs but won't be as bright as Xenon though but are approx 70% there however.

Hope this helps you some.
    Last edited by ciddyguy; 07-16-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: correcting spelling

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ciddyguy View Post
    Here is what I found after some searching. The H1R2 bulb is the same as the 9012 halogen bulb and uses an infrared coating to enhance the lamps brightness without increasing it's heat output (in essence). The lamps are now made by Phillips and can ALSO be used as a 9006 replacement but a tab will have to be removed and on some bulbs at least, it's marked. So I guess the H1R2 is the Euro designation, whilst here in the US, it's known as the 9012.

HID bulbs require a ballast to work as they are high intensity discharge bulbs and the ballast is to generate the high electrical current necessary to generate the discharge so when converting halogen headlight to HID, you have to add a ballast to the headlight assembly and these are included in the kits BTW.

We are fortunate that we only get the projection headlamps here in the US as the biggest problem with HID/Xenon headlamps is when they are fitted to reflector optic based parabolic headlamp assemblies, it changes the beam patter radically due to the placement of the light's arc (parallel to the bulb's slender cylinder, rather than as a transverse filament in a standard halogen bulb) and thus can cause all kinds of glare as a result if the reflector assembly isn't replaced to one suited for HID/Xenon bulbs.

Projection headlamps do not have this issue as they rely on a glass optic in front of the bulb for the beam pattern and the deep parabolic reflector is smooth, rather than bumpy and simply reflects but not directs.

I don't know if you've even tried the headlamps with the conventional bulbs but the H1R2 bulbs are said to be brighter than conventional halogen bulbs but won't be as bright as Xenon though but are approx 70% there however.

Hope this helps you some.
    And after re-reading my comment from yesterday and your initial question, I realized I didn't answer one aspect of your question, the H1 is NOT the same as the H1R2 (9012) bulbs at all as the base it for starters, is totally different as the H1, which became available here around 1997 IIRC uses an all metal base with a contact point in the shape of a spade and the bulb itself is much smaller and is housed in a metal housing that's part of the base H1.jpg The H1R2 bulbs look like this. 9012P.jpg

It was originally patented by GE, then sold to Toshiba, which then sold it to Phillips and initially came in a globe shape with the infrared coating deposited on the glass interior surfaces but when Phillips updated the bulb, they went back to the normal tubular shape found with most bulb capsules these days, while making it 40% longer life with 25% greater output, the original bulbs were the 9011/H1R1 and could be fitted in place of the 9005 bulbs.

And just to clarify, the H1R2 (9012) is an infrared coated bulb, whilst the 9006 is a conventional halogen bulb found in most cars and is the equivalent to the Euro HB4 but both are interchangeable, though only one way as the 9012 while it has the same looking base (angled or straight depending on which car you have though most used the angled base) to use in in PLACE of the 9006, a specific tab on the base has to be ground down using a file or a Dremel tool to remove it but I don't think you can fit a 9006 in place of the 9012 though don't know for sure and some of the 9006 bulbs, especially from Hella and Optik come in an 80W version, but are NOT legal for highway use though.
    Last edited by ciddyguy; 07-17-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thank you so much!!!
    I didn't expect this details! it solves my every questions
    this helps me alot!!
    thank you again

Thanks
    RoadRace Motorsports
    Quote Originally Posted by novpluie View Post
    Thank you so much!!!
    I didn't expect this details! it solves my every questions
    this helps me alot!!
    thank you again
    Your very welcome and really, it took several minutes of researching online for the actual bulbs plus some knowledge I had gleened from earlier research I did on headlights themselves a couple of months back.