500 Madness

Thread: High RPM shifting?

Thanks

High RPM shifting?

I test-drove a Sport in automatic yesterday and it was delaying shifting *really* long. Like 3+ seconds at 6200 RPM shifting from second into third and even with the sport button on it was still pushing the high 5000s. Needless to say it didn't seem right to me since all I've read about the automatic transmission is good things.

The sales guy started telling me at that point about some dealer-installed option that would lower the shift points, etc., but he was super shady and clueless so I'm hoping someone else can help me. Is that type of long delay normal? It almost seemed like it was in that quasi-manual mode but I checked repeatedly and it wasn't.

Help is appreciated because I adored the car otherwise and I've got the approval letter from the bank in my hot little hands just waiting...

Thanks
    I test drove an automatic last week just to see if it was any good.

It was. It is designed to shift at redline if you have your foot in it. If your foot is not on the floor it should shift normally.

Thanks
    That's what I thought. I think I'm going to head back up there and trying another car - it was totally abnormal from any other car experience. Wish the Fiat San Jose would open up already.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LyraJayne View Post
    That's what I thought. I think I'm going to head back up there and trying another car - it was totally abnormal from any other car experience. Wish the Fiat San Jose would open up already.
    For the automatics, it's often in larger motors for the shift points to be less than 3K, more if you have your foot in it, but in reality, it's perfectly normal to shift high if you wish as the torque is often maxing out somewhere around 3000-4000 for most small cars with smaller motors when not turbo'd.

The Fiat's max torque is at 4000rpm so this shifting where it is is normal for these cars I would think. I am often shifting above 3000rpm in my old Ford Ranger truck (4.0L pushrod V6) but only at 4000rpm or so as it redlines at 5K or so.

We Americans are used to not shifting high in our cars as most are large enough with bigger motors to not have to do that, but when dealing with smaller cars with their normally smaller motors, it's a whole 'nother story altogether.

Thanks
    The automatic in the 500 tends to hold lower gears when the sport button is pressed, and the shift points move up noticeably. Unlike in the manual, where the sport mode should be on all the time for most enjoyment, in the auto you will do best to turn it off for comfy cruising and only turn it on for spirited driving.

Having said that, the shift times of 3+ seconds are completely abnormal...try another 500...sounds like something is wrong with the one you drove.

Thanks
    So I tested a different one and it was much better -- still a higher rpm than I'm used to but without that hideous lag. There's also apparently a dealer-installed option that tightens it up further which made the car a hoot and a half to drive.

Needless to say, I've sent my closest studio on a hunt for an Olive Sport with Sunroof and a specific list of options. It's *very* exciting...

So I tested a different one and it was much better -- still a higher rpm than I'm used to but without that hideous lag. There's also apparently a dealer-installed option that tightens it up further which made the car a hoot and a half to drive.

Needless to say, I've sent my closest studio on a hunt for an Olive Sport with Sunroof and a specific list of options. It's *very* exciting...
    Cool, keep us up to date with what's going on!

Thanks
    RoadRace Motorsports

unless you're in Canada, wait times on ordered 500's should be running 30-45 days. I ordered mine on 6/14, it was built on 7/4 and is already 'In Transit'. ETA is as early as next week!

order one and get EXACTLY what you what....it's the ONLY way to go! well worth the wait!!!

as for the 6sp Aisin auto, it's what I ordered on my Sport. I drove a Sport for a weekend, putting about 180 miles on it and I really liked it. up to that point, I was wanting a 5sp, but afterwards.....the 6sp auto really works better for me and with the 'autostick' feature and Sport Mode, I think I can cover about any driving situation.
    Last edited by F500; 07-15-2011 at 03:41 PM.