Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

A thing of beauty is a joy forever...
inside exhaust pipes need cleaning.
The outside are waxed, I'm reluctant to clean the inside with anything...

Below are the manufacturer's oil consumption guidelines we've published in previous posts. Depending on how you drive, and the maintenance done on the...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $30.00 on this Silver MegaWeight Shift Knob for your FIAT 500.

Improve your driving experience...

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

Soon to be Abarth owner

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docpowell
    • Sep 2019

Soon to be Abarth owner

I am looking to buy a fun commuter car. I have a large truck that drinks diesel and is a pain to park in the city. I drive for work and I have really enjoyed the Abarths. I have 2 2013s available, clean with 32k and 27k miles each. I also have found a 2012 with only 7100 miles. Clean carfax with maintenance records.

Which way should I go? Any issues with a 12 vs 13? Thanks.
  • Saponetta
    Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member
    • Sep 2018

7100 mile all the way as long as they dont tjink its some rare gem worth an absurd price. There are tons of low mile cars across the cointry. I paid a little over 9k for a 3800 mile 2013 about 1.5 years ago.
    2013 abarth
    Spec 2+ clutch
    Working on new divided turbo setup
    Homebrew fmic w/ corsa forza hoses
    Stock Downpipe with cat and 2.25discharge
    Coils
    Homemade cowl intake
    ECB yellows/stop tech fluid
    Koni/vogtland
    Braces and strut mounts
    Corsa forza vento
    E30 blend

2013 abarth tork tuned
    cowl intake, custom fmic and bypass valve, vogtlands, rear vette bilstiens, long 3 inch downpipe to stock rear section.

Comment

• smark
      • Apr 2014

Check out cars.com for used Abarth’s across the country.

Last edited by smark; 09-17-2019, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Saponetta
        Lifetime Member
        Lifetime Member
        • Sep 2018

Jist buy the 7100 and enjoy. Change the oil every 3 or 4k miles and it will make a great car. Dont follow the oil light or fiat interval.
        2013 abarth
        Spec 2+ clutch
        Coils
        Homemade cowl intake
        Koni/vogtland
        Braces and strut mounts
        Corsa forza vento
        E30 blend

2013 abarth tork tuned
        cowl intake, custom fmic and bypass valve, vogtlands, rear vette bilstiens, long 3 inch downpipe to stock rear section.

Comment

• map
          • Dec 2018

Personally, if the same cost, I'd consider a '13, to avoid the 2012 problems. See if they have paperwork showing service intervals. Carfax might show mileage @ registration intervals. I might pass on any that have been simply sitting for a couple years.

Whichever you go with, I'd have a pre-purchase inspection done by your local mechanic. After purchase, I'd have a dealer run a scan to see which bulletins were skipped.

Comment

• smark
            • Apr 2014

Ditto above.... Make sure all the service records are made available to you. That the previous owner followed the Fiat maintenance service schedules over the years. Oil changes, tire rotation, filters, spark plugs etc. Look over the car really good, for previous body repair. That all Fiat factory recall campaigns, were preformed. If it’s a manual transmission. The pressure plate, was replaced. I’d stay away from any heavily modified Abarth’s. All together. If a vehicle is sold to a used car dealership. Sometimes you can type in the vin number. To a web search, and vehicles information, will come up on the vehicle. If service was preformed, by a authorized Fiat dealership. Even collision information.

Make sure if available... you are provided, both key fobs.
            Last edited by smark; 09-18-2019, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Saponetta
              Lifetime Member
              Lifetime Member
              • Sep 2018

As a professional mechanic, assuming all cars had factory fiat oil change intervals, I'd rather have the 7100 mile car and whatever minor teething g issues 2012 cars do or do not have than a car that has the accelerated wear on every lubricated component that basically getting 3 oil changes to its 4 quart oil supply did over 30k+ miles. Of course this logic disregards any kind of time based intervals, but that's the basics of how people service their late model cars these days. Trust me. It's a no brainer.

Most people on here have experience with their personal cars only. A favtory tech sees hundreds of cars over and over. Sees what happens as they age. Can take 10 seconds to see the reason I'm replacing this engine is because the service records show it got 6 oil changes in 70k miles. Vs the 12 minimum it should have had. If you take 10 cars and change the oil every 3k, all 10 will typically go 100k miles without ever needing a major engine repair. Now take 10 cars and give them the 8 or 10k oil change intervals most.manudactires recomend. 5 or 6 might hit that 100k milestone without a major engine repair. clean, fresh, 5w 40 is absolutely critical to the multiair brick operation and life. Even disregarding more critical and expensive components like main and rod bearings, you're asking for trouble. This cars oil is run extremely hot and there just ismt enough of it really. Oil lives a hard life in this motor.
              2013 abarth
              Spec 2+ clutch
              Coils
              Homemade cowl intake
              Koni/vogtland
              Braces and strut mounts
              Corsa forza vento
              E30 blend

2013 abarth tork tuned

Comment