Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

I might check a parts listing first, especially if a Fiat dealer isn't close by. This diagram shows the door and latch mechanism. (You might want to change...

Alfa is self destructing into incompetency. They are going all in on EV just as the market for them crashes. The Tonale is a failure. It is like $10k...

I've been eyeing the t4 from 500madness except for three issues 1- I can't find anyone anywhere that has it to review 2- they don't give enough technical...

Increase the mpg?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Partsguyct87
    • Apr 2019

Increase the mpg?

Forgive me if this is already discussed somewhere, I couldn't find anything. I'm looking to see what everyone has done to improve the mpg further on your 500l. I know everyone will say pedal control as an obvious solution but I'm looking deeper than that, what modifications can be made to help pump up those numbers. I've been averaging about 28mpg per tank with a mix of highway and City driving in my 2014 manual so far. So let's see what y'all are getting.
  • Fiat500USA
    Amministratore
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Partsguyct87
    Forgive me if this is already discussed somewhere, I couldn't find anything. I'm looking to see what everyone has done to improve the mpg further on your 500l. I know everyone will say pedal control as an obvious solution but I'm looking deeper than that, what modifications can be made to help pump up those numbers. I've been averaging about 28mpg per tank with a mix of highway and City driving in my 2014 manual so far. So let's see what y'all are getting.

Driving technique is the number one way to improve your gas mileage. Cars are so well tuned today it is hard to improve upon what the engineers have already done.

A few things
    • Proper oil viscosity and keep the oil fresh. Dirty oil can affect the MultiAir, besides obviously wearing stuff out.
    • Tires to proper inflation. I generally up the pressure a few pounds front and rear for sharper handling. That will also increase fuel economy.
    • Short shifting. Don't wind the gears out. Shifting around 2100 rpm as long as you aren't lugging the engine will increase gas mileage.
    • Try to drive in the highest gear the car can pull without lugging.
    • Use the instantaneous mpg readout to keep track of your driving. Try to keep it above the average mpg reading as long as you can will increase your fuel economy.
    • Don't let your car idle excessively.
    • Use the cruise control as much as you can. Obviously be attentive, but regular use of the cruise control will boost your mileage because you are driving at a steady speed. Constantly accelerating and slowing down will kill your mileage.

I use these techniques and have a lifetime average of 34+ mpg on my Abarth and I have a mix of rural/urban commute. Let us know how you make out.
    Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
    fiat 500 forum signature
    abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Ando
      Enthusiastically Slow
      Lifetime Member
      • Nov 2016

If you are doing rush hour commuting look as far ahead as possible and react to the overall flow of traffic, not just the two cars in front of you. Let them scream up on that wall of brake lights, you'll catch up with them when traffic starts moving again and you will use a lot less fuel than if you were participating in the stop start zombie drive.

Same thing with traffic signals, if you drive the same route every day memorize how the signals change and try to figure out what speed to drive to hopefully catch all the greens. Any time you can conserve momentum you are saving fuel, conversely every time you have to use your brakes you will likely need to use a proportional amount of throttle to return to cruising speed.

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
      • Use the cruise control as much as you can. Obviously be attentive, but regular use of the cruise control will boost your mileage because you are driving at a steady speed. Constantly accelerating and slowing down will kill your mileage.
      As a counterpoint, the cruise control doesn't care about MPG, it only cares about achieving your setpoint. This is particularly noticeable in hilly areas. If traffic and laws allow I like to feed in throttle downhill to let the car take advantage of gravity and coast up the uphill, ideally returning to my target speed by the top of the following hill.

Hypermiling is a super interesting corner of car enthusiasm. It was a lot more fun in my TDI than my Abarth, but tinkering with various techniques forms good driving habits overall.

We've only been talking about driver mods so far. Easy things to do to get more MPGs is to drop weight where possible. Do you have roadside assistance? Leave the spare at home. Not driving anyone to lunch? Remove the rear seats. Not going curling today? Take the stones out of your trunk. You get the idea. Most of this is free. Removing your floormats isn't going to net you a 1mpg increase, but every bit helps.

Shop for some low rolling resistance tires. These generally equate to lower ultimate traction but if you're not carving canyons in your Elle you probably won't notice the difference.
      Last edited by Ando; 05-15-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• venom
        • Apr 2019

This should be titled the “Tight Wad” thread....All good tips though. I like to challenge myself to see just how good mpg I can get. It’s like a game.
        I’m not a Mopar guy...I’m a FCA guy...I’m so happy Fiat took Chrysler under its wing! With that said I have a good collection of FCA cars.

2013 500 Abarth
        2013 Viper GTS
        2016 Challenger 392 Scat Pack
        2005 Willys Edition Jeep TJ
        2005 Chrysler 300 SRT w/426 Hemi
        2012 Chrysler 300 SRT 6.4L
        2019 Ram Rebel
        2019 Jeep Cherokee Summit

****Looking to add another Abarth...Need a track day car I can strip down and go to VIR regularly****

Comment

• Ando
          Enthusiastically Slow
          Lifetime Member
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by venom
          This should be titled the “Tight Wad” thread....All good tips though. I like to challenge myself to see just how good mpg I can get. It’s like a game.
          Touché... I think OP was aiming more for "what can I do to innately improve MPG without becoming "that guy"?" Low rolling resistance tires and actively monitoring tire pressures are probably the best path, no driver mods required.

Hypermilers are crazy, but it's fun to try once in a while. Even so, doing crazy hypermiling things every once in a while raises your awareness of when you are wasting fuel. I drive like a one armed crack monkey most of the time but that doesn't mean I scream up to red lights at full highway speeds. It's all a balancing act.

Just for fun check out the Fuelly page for the 2014 500L. Looks like your 28mpg is average. From there you can sort the Elles by fuel type or transmission or single out cars with exceptionally high mpg numbers and check for mods in their description.
          Last edited by Ando; 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• 2014-500L
            • Apr 2018

I recently added the GFB upgraded diverter valve and a K&N drop in filter, and I am seeing improved MPG. I would vary from 23/24mpg with the occasional 26 mpg tank at my best. Since the install I have had 3 fill ups coming in at 28.5, 27.6, and 26.9 mpgs, and that's with a few high rev pulls that really hurt the average. My '14 is a 6 speed manual.

Comment

• Partsguyct87
              • Apr 2019

I've already been driving like I have Ms Daisy in the back, I read mostly looking to see what other ways we can improve MPG, if I'm pretty much at the peak then I might end up going the other way and improving power to get a little fun out of this car on my way back and forth to work.

Comment

• texanbrit
                Lifetime Member
                • Nov 2014

You can use one of the Go-Pedal type products in economy mode. That softens your accelerator input.
                2013 500c Abarth - Isabella (race car)
                2013 500 Abarth - Igor (Project Daily)
                2012 500 Pop - Popabella (engine rebuild ongoing)
                2014 500L - The Hulk (falling apart)

Comment

• Ando
                  Enthusiastically Slow
                  Lifetime Member
                  • Nov 2016

If you are even a little bit on the fence I'd opt for fun mods. You are much more likely to enjoy them, and you might even keep your efficiency. (None of my favorite mods burn more fuel)

Texanbrit's pedal mapper suggestion is good. Depending on your mood you can be ECO-Warrior or Track-Warrior.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                    Amministratore
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by venom
                    That's how I think of it and how I entertain myself on my work commute. Makes the drive interesting and it balances out the times I light my tires up or do some other antisocial behaviors. The bonus is it keeps me flying under the radar when I cruise by the police.
                    Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                    fiat 500 forum signature
                    abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Saponetta
                      Lifetime Member
                      Lifetime Member
                      • Sep 2018

.ake sure alignment is always on spec. Clean air filter, plugs in good shape. Dont drive around with 400lbs of crap in the car at all times like my mother.

Go on the dart forums. Every time a.google search has led.me there, they are all claiming to get 50mpg outta 1.4t lol. Whatever.
                      2013 abarth
                      Spec 2+ clutch
                      Working on new divided turbo setup
                      Homebrew fmic w/ corsa forza hoses
                      Stock Downpipe with cat and 2.25discharge
                      Coils
                      Homemade cowl intake
                      ECB yellows/stop tech fluid
                      Koni/vogtland
                      Braces and strut mounts
                      Corsa forza vento
                      E30 blend

2013 abarth tork tuned
                      cowl intake, custom fmic and bypass valve, vogtlands, rear vette bilstiens, long 3 inch downpipe to stock rear section.

Comment

• rustbucket
                        • May 2013

I'll throw in one more thing- fuel. On my previous '13 500 Sport I switched over to 91 octane ethanol- free fuel when it became available in my neck of the woods and saw a 1 to 2 mpg increase. Ethanol contains fewer BTU's per gallon than gasoline. That said you won't be saving any money as it costs about 50 cents per gallon more than 87 octane E10. Living in CT you probably don't have access to ethanol free fuel but it's still worth trying different brands and grades of fuel. Sometimes you might see an improvement from a different brand even though it is (supposedly) the same grade (octane).
                        Last edited by rustbucket; 07-08-2019, 12:15 AM.
                        2018 FIAT 500 Abarth- manual, 17" wheels, sunroof, perla white tricoat, red leather, bone stock (for now) daily driver

2020 Ram 1500 4x4 Big Horn crew cab- 5.7L eTorque Hemi (mild hybrid), 3.92 rear axle, diamond black crystal pearl coat

2021 Harley-Davidson FLHR Road King, billiard red, RDRS

Comment

• Saponetta
                          Lifetime Member
                          Lifetime Member
                          • Sep 2018

Definatly on the fuel. If you have a scanner, see which fuel give you the best peak timing advance. That will be your mpg champ. I've found my abarth doesnt even run well stock on some 93 octane. And with increased boost pressure, the bp and Phillip's 66 fuel is flat out dangerous in my area. Mobil 93 octane seems to be so far above other fuels in knock resistance, I'd imagine their lower grades are superior to their published rating as well. Plus they supposedly have best additive/detergents.
                          2013 abarth
                          Spec 2+ clutch
                          Working on new divided turbo setup
                          Homebrew fmic w/ corsa forza hoses
                          Stock Downpipe with cat and 2.25discharge
                          Coils
                          Homemade cowl intake
                          ECB yellows/stop tech fluid
                          Koni/vogtland
                          Braces and strut mounts
                          Corsa forza vento
                          E30 blend

2013 abarth tork tuned
                          cowl intake, custom fmic and bypass valve, vogtlands, rear vette bilstiens, long 3 inch downpipe to stock rear section.

Comment

• samwichse
                            • Sep 2018

Ecomodder has a great "100 tips" list for this.

They also have this list of modifications of various difficulty.

The roof rack removal is near the top of both lists for a reason. They also have a forum for more specific questions :-).

Comment

• mlkfiat
                              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Saponetta
                              Dont drive around with 400lbs of crap in the car at all times like my mother.
                              I shouldn't, but I can't resist.

That isn't a very nice way to talk about your mother, even if she does weigh 400 lbs.
                              And why is she always in your car when you drive?

Comment