Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

I might check a parts listing first, especially if a Fiat dealer isn't close by. This diagram shows the door and latch mechanism. (You might want to change...

Alfa is self destructing into incompetency. They are going all in on EV just as the market for them crashes. The Tonale is a failure. It is like $10k...

The end of my Fiat love affair

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carfreak09
    • Dec 2015

The end of my Fiat love affair

Today I bid goodbye to my 2016 500X Pop. Final mileage 82796. I was hoping to see how far she would reliably go but the recent mishap at the dealer ruined those plans. Crazy to think a desire to keep her maintained properly is what led to her being abandoned. After the transmission case was replaced by the dealer, 2 distinct new noises cropped up that were quite concerning. First, a clunking noise was emanating from the driver side when turning and hitting bumps or when accelerating suddenly. After previous experience with a similar noise, I suspect the engine mount or tranny mount is bad, both of which were messed with during the repair. Second, my X now sounded like Santa Claus was coming to town, jingling all the way down the road. It literally sounded like I was dragging bells down the road. The noise was coming from the right front wheel. I took the wheels and belly pan off and could find nothing loose or obviously wrong. Noise got louder and more consistent when turning right and almost stopped when turning left. My thought is a bad wheel bearing but it could be the CV axle too as that was removed during the tranny repair. I also noticed a slight oil leak from the transmission where the right CV axle enters the tranny. Is it coincidence these noises and leak started after the tranny repair? Doubtful, but proving they damaged something would be impossible. I also needed 4 new tires so I was looking at potentially $1k in repairs on a car that was worth $5-6k when I still owed $11k. When putting that into the perspective that I was growing weary of the rough unrefined ride and would surpass 100k by the end of the year, I just decided it was best to cut my losses. I had simply lost confidence in her durability as the miles piled on.

The replacement is a 2019 Honda Insight. The build quality and ride quality is LIGHT years ahead of the 500X. Roads that used to rattle my interior are not even felt or heard in the Insight. I will miss the space of the hatchback but I’m already averaging 38mpg in the first 60 miles so I think I can deal. I will say that the 1.4 turbo is a reliable engine, as are all the electronics. The X never left me stranded. But the ride is awful for a modern fully independent suspension.
    2013 Fiat 500T Rosso
    RRM Ultimate tuner, RRM rear sway bar, Koni front struts, El Gato front chassis braces, 500Madness GoPedal, NeuF muffler delete, EC V4.1 intake, Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley, LED interior lights.

2016 Fiat 500X Pop Arancio (traded in April 2019)
    500Madness GoPedal, custom Abarth style exhaust (resonator/muffler delete.), Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley, RRM Ultimate tuner, LED interior lights.
  • tvmaster
    • Oct 2018

Wow - another perfectly good, paying customer being sent away by lousy dealership repair practices. I've only been an owner for three week, and because of uneducated, careless lifting practices, someone's going to be out almost $2k, hopefully not me...sorry to see anyone leave, but what you say is legitimate
    2017 500 Abarth, manual trans, NAV, Beats, Sunroof, 17" wheels, everything. But no mods. None, nada.

Comment

• SportLaserBlu
      • Sep 2016

I've experienced the same thing. Reason I believe it will be the dealership service centers the will ruin the brand. Because I believe Fiat makes a quality product.

Comment

• tvmaster
        • Oct 2018

Agree - such a fun little car, but left in the hands of what was the worst of the big three auto, their service dept. just doesn’t help the brand AT ALL.....
        2017 500 Abarth, manual trans, NAV, Beats, Sunroof, 17" wheels, everything. But no mods. None, nada.

Comment

• carfreak09
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by tvmaster
          Wow - another perfectly good, paying customer being sent away by lousy dealership repair practices. I've only been an owner for three week, and because of uneducated, careless lifting practices, someone's going to be out almost $2k, hopefully not me...sorry to see anyone leave, but what you say is legitimate
          Was their body damage when they lifted your new 500, or just the side skirts separated some? For future reference, always ask tire shops to floor jack your car as it’s the only way to avoid their racks from damaging the side skirts.

I’ll still be sticking around as I still have my 13 500T. She’s paid for with only 49k and has been a fun awesome car to own. The good thing about trading my X is I can now transfer the tuner box that was on it to my T and really have some fun with her.
          2013 Fiat 500T Rosso
          RRM Ultimate tuner, RRM rear sway bar, Koni front struts, El Gato front chassis braces, 500Madness GoPedal, NeuF muffler delete, EC V4.1 intake, Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley, LED interior lights.

500Madness GoPedal, custom Abarth style exhaust (resonator/muffler delete.), Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley, RRM Ultimate tuner, LED interior lights.

Comment

• tvmaster
            • Oct 2018

Car was pristine - zero damage anywhere, had never had an oil change with only 1700 miles when I purchased. Not only did the side skirts get popped off, I had my local guys PROPERLY LIFT her yesterday to take a look at ancillary damage: the metal bottom of the body has been crushed and bent underneath the plastic skirts. Took photos, will post here on the thread I started about my awful experience. Chrysler, as much as Sergio Marchionne tried to drag them kicking and screaming into the future, will remain back in the past with regards to client respect.

Comment

• bryanintowson
              • Mar 2012

We have two techs at my local FIAT Studio. One has been there since day 1, the other one is incompetent. More than once I've had to bring back a repair that failed and had to ask for the senior tech to redo it.

I won't be going back now that my warranty is up. It's a shame because I like the place, the service advisors are really friendly and professional and they have been really good to work with. They are, however too far away to chance having to take it back for the same repair twice.

To Heritage FIATs credit, on my survey I kept asking for a mini fridge with bottles of water - probably asked like 5 times and last year it finally happened! They actually listened!

Comment

• carfreak09
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by bryanintowson
                We have two techs at my local FIAT Studio. One has been there since day 1, the other one is incompetent. More than once I've had to bring back a repair that failed and had to ask for the senior tech to redo it.

I won't be going back now that my warranty is up. It's a shame because I like the place, the service advisors are really friendly and professional and they have been really good to work with. They are, however too far away to chance having to take it back for the same repair twice.

To Heritage FIATs credit, on my survey I kept asking for a mini fridge with bottles of water - probably asked like 5 times and last year it finally happened! They actually listened!
                Same concerns I had. I didn’t want to drive another 100 mile round trip to get the minor leak fixed or try to find a reputable shop to fix their potential screwups. I was pretty disgusted with the whole thing. It was hard to give the X up. I really did like the car as she was fun to drive and got looks everywhere I went with the Abarth exhaust.

As for dealer amenities, the one I bought from not only has free water/sodas in a fridge but also free donuts/fruit/snacks, snack machines, movie room with big seats, small high top tables in a separate area, Game Center, and another sitting area with a small tv. Puts any Fiat dealer I’ve ever seen to shame. That’s how you impress a customer!
                2013 Fiat 500T Rosso

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                  Amministratore
                  • Feb 2011

Sad news to hear, but glad you'll still be around with your 500T. Sounds like you bailed out in time before the dealer screwed up even more stuff.

An observation is the 500X does indeed ride firmer than many average cars. It helps gives it its European flavor which separates it from the rest. Personally, I really like how it rides -firm, well controlled and not squishy - but can understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea. Cars with Koni-type shocks rarely are described as soft-riding.
                  Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                  fiat 500 forum signature
                  abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• neubauerjoseph
                    • Feb 2014

Well it depends, the dealers who take pride in the fiat brand and really learn how to do the work on our cars usually do well. The old fiat of Kearney mesa, there was a guy who forgot to do the old change, called them talked to the service director. Then talked to him he said sorry my bad and I forgot to rest the oil change reminder. I had to come back 2 times. But they willing to make it right. Then I hit some miles and had to do a major service was a $600 bill did it for me for $285. Plus free oil change next time. Then gave me 50% on my tires. For a few reason they messed up and I was a regular customer. So it pays to have a dealer you can trust. Sometimes just getting to know them and talking to them as reading the reviews online help. Also talk to other customers. When I sold Infiniti I met some customers who traveled to my dealership because ether they haven’t messed up or they would fix it if there was a mistake. Hope that helps.

Comment

• tvmaster
                      • Oct 2018

The ones who damaged the body/side skirts get one chance to make it right. If they instruct the body shop to cheap-out, or take short cuts (‘cause the minute I get it back it’s going to MY auto body shop for investigation), then they’ll have lost a customer and created a big headache for themselves. So avoidable...

Comment

• rustbucket
                        • May 2013

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
                        Cars with Koni-type shocks rarely are described as soft-riding.
                        Soft no but compliant, yes. Just crossed the 1000 mile mark on the 500 Abarth last week and am amazed how well it rides (and how well it handles) .... much better imho than the 500 Sport it replaced, especially on the choppy pavement found on some of the third world roads found around the Twin Cities. I've had a couple of test drives in the 500X and that was my impression as well- firm but compliant and it handled really well, especially for a CUV and much better than the finance director's (aka wife) Honda CR-V which around the house is referred to as the "Metro Transit Bus".

Surrounded by advertising hype all the time I was ready to dismiss KONI FSD (Frequency Selective Damping) as more of the same but it really does work.
                        2018 FIAT 500 Abarth- manual, 17" wheels, sunroof, perla white tricoat, red leather, bone stock (for now) daily driver

2020 Ram 1500 4x4 Big Horn crew cab- 5.7L eTorque Hemi (mild hybrid), 3.92 rear axle, diamond black crystal pearl coat

2021 Harley-Davidson FLHR Road King, billiard red, RDRS

Comment

• carfreak09
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by rustbucket
                          Soft no but compliant, yes. Just crossed the 1000 mile mark on the 500 Abarth last week and am amazed how well it rides (and how well it handles) .... much better imho than the 500 Sport it replaced, especially on the choppy pavement found on some of the third world roads found around the Twin Cities. I've had a couple of test drives in the 500X and that was my impression as well- firm but compliant and it handled really well, especially for a CUV and much better than the finance director's (aka wife) Honda CR-V which around the house is referred to as the "Metro Transit Bus".

Surrounded by advertising hype all the time I was ready to dismiss KONI FSD (Frequency Selective Damping) as more of the same but it really does work.
                          I have to respectfully disagree with you on the ride of the X. I lived with the car for 82k and 3 years. On smooth roads, it rides nice and firm, like a European car should. It also handles very well around corners at high speeds although it leans quite a bit. It pays the price for that with sharp jiggly impacts on smaller bumps, pavement cracks, rain gutters, manhole covers, and speed bumps (small and large). Anything like that creates a harsh impact that is felt and heard in the interior. The X lacks any semblance of compliance. Car and Driver even noted the rough ride and severe head toss created when hitting undulating road surfaces.

Here's an example: There's an asphalt upheaval crack created by roots in the middle of a curve. I hit it in the X almost daily and it crashes over it so hard that the whole dash loudly pops, the car jerks sideways and just feels loose as if it doesnt soften the shock at all. Took the same bump with a rental 2017 Hyundai Accent. No loud bangs, minimal loose feeling, and softened the blow much better. The same bump in my new Insight isn't even felt or heard. Even my Fiat 500T with aftermarket Koni front struts turned to their highest setting absorbs small impacts better then the X ever did.

I test drove the Mazda 3 hatch, Hyundai Kona SEL, and Hyundai Veloster Turbo. All of these rode 100 times better then the X. Absolutely night and day difference. Perhaps the most shocking was how well the Veloster rode considering its a performance car that can pull some serious G's, proving Hyundai has finally figured out world class suspension tuning and that a comfortable ride and good handling can coexist.
                          Last edited by carfreak09; 04-21-2019, 09:10 PM.
                          2013 Fiat 500T Rosso

Comment

• tvmaster
                            • Oct 2018

yeah, both the M3 and Veloster were on my shortlist. VERY comfortable rides for their size and stature.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                              Amministratore
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by neubauerjoseph
                              Well it depends, the dealers who take pride in the fiat brand and really learn how to do the work on our cars usually do well. The old fiat of Kearney mesa, there was a guy who forgot to do the old change, called them talked to the service director. Then talked to him he said sorry my bad and I forgot to rest the oil change reminder. I had to come back 2 times. But they willing to make it right. Then I hit some miles and had to do a major service was a $600 bill did it for me for $285. Plus free oil change next time. Then gave me 50% on my tires. For a few reason they messed up and I was a regular customer. So it pays to have a dealer you can trust. Sometimes just getting to know them and talking to them as reading the reviews online help. Also talk to other customers. When I sold Infiniti I met some customers who traveled to my dealership because ether they haven’t messed up or they would fix it if there was a mistake. Hope that helps.

Kearny Mesa was a great dealer, run by one of the countries most dedicated Fiat/Alfa/Lancia enthusiasts. Sadly, a lot of people never think about good service and would shop 'till they dropped and drive all of creation to save a few bucks at mega FCA dealer that blew out cars below market value and eventually Kearny closed up. The discount dealer had crap service, depressed the value of the cars and they eventually closed up too. To save a few dollars, the cheapskates bypassed their local dealer who cared, and wound up screwing themselves and others. Sure some dealers suck, but good dealers need to be supported, too. Sadly, too many of them are gone.
                              Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                              fiat 500 forum signature
                              abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment