Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

I might check a parts listing first, especially if a Fiat dealer isn't close by. This diagram shows the door and latch mechanism. (You might want to change...

Alfa is self destructing into incompetency. They are going all in on EV just as the market for them crashes. The Tonale is a failure. It is like $10k...

I've been eyeing the t4 from 500madness except for three issues 1- I can't find anyone anywhere that has it to review 2- they don't give enough technical...

Rough idle and then dies...No codes or warning lights

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SupraWoman
    • Feb 2019

Rough idle and then dies...No codes or warning lights

Started the car up this morning and it took a little bit to get it to turn over and when turning over it was SLOW not fast. After it finally started it was really rough like bogging (could barely tell the difference in it trying to turn over and finally turning over), gave it a little gas while still idling and then it immediately died. Tried to start it again and it took even longer to turn over and once it did you could tell that it was still struggling to stay going. Of course, this would happen while i was trying to get to work. So, meanwhile i am at work trying to think of what i could possibly do to attempt in fixing it without taking it to a shop or buying a myriad of things to try.

Also, when i popped the hood to check all fluids after my attempts, and did not spell any odors other than all the gas i dumped when trying to start it. Was a little confused that there are no codes and no warning lights on. My first step, i guess would be just to change the spark plugs, check the coil packs, check vacuum lines. Also, wondering if it could be the fuel pump, since its stalling and struggling to start. What about the MAF?

Has anyone else had this issue before? Any other suggestions on things i should try before i get too crazy with other ideas?!
    Last edited by SupraWoman; 02-15-2019, 10:45 AM.
    ‘98 Toyota Supra Turbo
    ’11 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
    ’14 Ford Mustang GT

’93 Toyota Supra Turbo (bf)
    ’13 Fiat 500 Abarth (bf)
  • Saponetta
    Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member
    • Sep 2018

Your description is a little strange. If a car barely cranks when you turn the key obviously you have a battery or charging issue. It's cold and batteries go bad very suddenly in winter sometimes. Usually if you can start it it will then run if the alternator works.
    2013 abarth
    Spec 2+ clutch
    Working on new divided turbo setup
    Homebrew fmic w/ corsa forza hoses
    Stock Downpipe with cat and 2.25discharge
    Coils
    Homemade cowl intake
    ECB yellows/stop tech fluid
    Koni/vogtland
    Braces and strut mounts
    Corsa forza vento
    E30 blend

2013 abarth tork tuned
    cowl intake, custom fmic and bypass valve, vogtlands, rear vette bilstiens, long 3 inch downpipe to stock rear section.

Comment

• SupraWoman
      • Feb 2019

At first i did agree that it maybe it was a charge issue with the slow cranking, but the idle made me think ignition issue, then the stalling made me think fuel.
      1. I got it to turn over 2 times,
      2. It could idle like misfiring, i didnt look at the RPMs but i would assume consistent bouncing RPMs.
      3. if you barely touch the gas, it stalls out.

I have been trying to think of what issues do not throw codes. The car has been driven daily with no issues, until now and its 60 degrees here and was in the 40s+ past few days. I do agree that the issue seems odd.
      ‘98 Toyota Supra Turbo
      ’14 Ford Mustang GT

’13 Fiat 500 Abarth (bf)

Comment

• texanbrit
        Lifetime Member
        • Nov 2014

check the ground under the battery. Unfortunately a weak battery can cause these cars to be a bit rough and unpredictable.
        2013 500c Abarth - Isabella (race car)
        2013 500 Abarth - Igor (Project Daily)
        2012 500 Pop - Popabella (engine rebuild ongoing)
        2014 500L - The Hulk (falling apart)

Comment

• SupraWoman
          • Feb 2019

Update!

Ok, so this morning the car wouldn’t start. Checked the batter/connectors everything good; tried to jump it with my other car and it was trying to crank but didn’t turn over...

now im going to check the fuel pump relay then the actual fuel pump.
          Last edited by SupraWoman; 02-16-2019, 12:03 PM.
          ‘98 Toyota Supra Turbo
          ’14 Ford Mustang GT

’13 Fiat 500 Abarth (bf)

Comment

• fiatration
            • Mar 2013

I would look at the MAF sensor or the fuel pump. The symptoms sound like a MAF problem, but if it is the MAF sensor, then it should throw an error code. You can try cleaning the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner from the auto store. It also sounds like the fuel pump may be on its way out. It’s not able to feed the fuel injectors the required fuel pressure when the throttle is pressed causing the motor to stall. I’m not a 100% certain if a faulty fuel pump will throw an error code, but you can test the system’s fuel pressure with a gauge before going in that direction to fix the problem. I hope this helps.

Comment

• KellyfromVA
              • Feb 2016

It sounds strange and unrelated, but how is your oil level? Are you running the correct viscosity of oil? There have been 500 Abarth owners right here in this very forum, who have reported similar instances of rough running and starting problems. Come to find out, either their oil level was low/out, or they had not been using the correct viscosity of oil.

The multiair valve activation system on these cars are very particular on oil availability and viscosity.

Comment

• Saponetta
                Lifetime Member
                Lifetime Member
                • Sep 2018

All of the above could be true, but the very slow cranking points to battery/charge. A flat bad battery or insufficient voltage from alternator can cause rough running, stalls. Yiu can guess and guess but until you methoically start testing and eliminating components and systems, your just wasting time, effort and money.
                2013 abarth
                Spec 2+ clutch
                Coils
                Homemade cowl intake
                Koni/vogtland
                Braces and strut mounts
                Corsa forza vento
                E30 blend

2013 abarth tork tuned
                cowl intake, custom fmic and bypass valve, vogtlands, rear vette bilstiens, long 3 inch downpipe to stock rear section.

Comment

• KellyfromVA
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Saponetta
                  Yiu can guess and guess but until you methoically start testing and eliminating components and systems, your just wasting time, effort and money.
                  So checking the oil level and making sure at the next oil change they're running the correct viscosity is a waste of time, effort, and money? Guess your time must be more valuable than mine!

Comment

• Saponetta
                    Lifetime Member
                    Lifetime Member
                    • Sep 2018

That would be a step in diagnosing systems/components. I guess processing what you read into thoughts and insight isnt your strong suit.
                    2013 abarth
                    Spec 2+ clutch
                    Coils
                    Homemade cowl intake
                    Koni/vogtland
                    Braces and strut mounts
                    Corsa forza vento
                    E30 blend

2013 abarth tork tuned

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                      Amministratore
                      • Feb 2011

I'm on the road at the moment, but while we're all putting on our thinking caps, let's keep it on the friendly side. It sounded like Saponetta was talking to the OP in the thread. At least that's how I took it.

As for the slow cranking, the fuel pump relay wouldn't have much to do with that.
                      Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                      fiat 500 forum signature
                      abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Saponetta
                        Lifetime Member
                        Lifetime Member
                        • Sep 2018

Yea wasnt talking to that fool. I just made them comment because the op seemed to be getting off track on theories getting further and further from the most likely causes without doing any actual diagnostic work. Nothing will ever get fixed on a modern car with that approach. That's what I hate about forums. Too many theories and repetition of something they saw or read before and not enough facts, proof, and proper procedure. But I guess of you censored out or removed all the parrots and useless posters, forums couldn't exist to provide the good info that can be found
                        2013 abarth
                        Spec 2+ clutch
                        Coils
                        Homemade cowl intake
                        Koni/vogtland
                        Braces and strut mounts
                        Corsa forza vento
                        E30 blend

2013 abarth tork tuned

Comment

• happyappy
                          • Oct 2016

I'm betting a new battery fixes it.

Comment

• SupraWoman
                            • Feb 2019

Fixed....ready for it??! It was the battery, had a bad cell. Took it in to advanced auto for them to check it and yup! So replaced that today and it started up. I did check all the easy things, the relays, fuses, connections, but skipped checking the actual battery because i would have thought that jumping it with my Cayenne would have worked if it were the battery. I guess i am still confused about that part.

On another note, all the above ideas to diagnose the issue, is what i have had to do in the past on my Supra (had a failed fuel pump, a failed relay, etc.), so it seemed really strange that a battery could do this. I have yet to learn this temperamental car. Thank you all for your input!
                            ‘98 Toyota Supra Turbo
                            ’14 Ford Mustang GT

’13 Fiat 500 Abarth (bf)

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                              Amministratore
                              • Feb 2011

After reading your posts, I'm not too sure if you are having a problem with the engine cranking at a normal speed or the engine running poorly when it finally starts, or both issues.

Sometimes there is confusion on terms like crank and turn over. Cranking and turning over refer to what happens when you turn the ignition key to start and the starter motor spins the engine. When the engine finally runs on its own and you release the key that is something different and is a running issue.

If the starter motor cranks slowly you need to look at the starting system (battery/cables/starter wires/ignition switch and anything else in the system that will keep the starter motor from cranking at the correct speed). Once you release the key, and the engine is running on its own, the starting system is pretty much done and you're looking at the systems that keep the engine running (ignition/fuel and charging systems). A fuel pump relay normally doesn't have anything to do with how fast the engine cranks for example. It will have an impact on how the engine starts and runs though. Of course this assumes that the basics like having enough of the proper oil is in the engine, as Kelly mentions, because it is especially important in a MultiAir or variable valve timing engine.

If you try jump starting the engine and it still cranks slowly slowly, you likely have some kind of bad connection going on (assuming you have a good battery and good jumper wires and have connected them well) like a bad ground, dirty battery cables, a battery with poor cranking amps, etc. So the first step is going to be getting a multi meter out and measuring voltage, and load testing the battery. The battery cables need to be removed cleaned and even checked for resistance or voltage drop.

Battery voltage and current can't be eyeballed, but need to be measured and connections need to be taken apart and cleaned inspected. You can't tell if a connection is clean if it is not taken apart. Shortcuts and assuming you have the proper voltage and amperage can really screw you up when diagnosing a starting problem.

If the starter spins the engine over at a normal speed and you have difficulty with the engine catching and running on its own, you'll have to troubleshoot the other systems. Let us know.
                              Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                              fiat 500 forum signature
                              abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment