Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Here are some steps. Please follow them.
  1. Click on "User Settings" (located under your username at the top right).
  2. Select "Account."
  3. Go

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having an issue. An "ungodly" sound isn't too descriptive. What does it sound like? When does...

Valve length question

Hello,

2013 Abarth in Canada.

I had the typical burnt exhaust valve issue. I decided not to go with the OEM ones since first...

I am going to assume you mean Gen 1 because of cost.

Most Mechanical issues were corrected by 2017. If you do buy a 2016 make sure the motor...

What common issues should I look for in a 500x?

I'm looking at different cars and the 500x has crossed my mind. I'm wondering what issues I should look for because as a Fiat fan and someone needing...

Fiat 500 Specific roof top carrier with bike attachment for sale

I have a like new Fiat 500 Specific roof top carrier bars with a bicycle attachment. I bought it from Micks Garage in England - https://www.micksgara...

Automatic transmission? If that's an automatic it could be as simple as the battery being defective (or not fully charged).

I would start...

Yeah, Ford has a history of "minimal design". They want to save money and keep weight down so they design for using the least material. My neighbor's...

Help us raise funds to support Melanoma Canada.
Help us achieve our goal of raising $150,000 to help support the melanoma and skin cancer com

that's a funny. One of the very few issues I had with my brand new fuel injected YUGO was the PCV hose used to freeze up in freezing weather and oil would...

We had a great time. Thanks to everyone that helped put the event together!

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth - Starts, But Not Moving

Hi all! I've got a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth that has been sitting for almost 6 months. I have not used it in the winter since it's not a great vehicle where...

^^^ This ^^^ its one weak design point. I had the 225 slant six in my Dodge Coronet. Great engine but mine had a habit of blowing oil out of the breather...

Abarth 4C!

This is interesting. They're taking existing 4Cs and reinventing them as Abarths

https://www.motor1.com/news/716049/alfa-romeo-4c-return...

pin which locks the charging door is broken.

Hi
In my 500Ee the pin which locks the charging door is broken.
Any idea where I can get a replacement?

THX...

I didn't actually take the drain plug off. I sucked the oil out of it as the plug was not coming off and If you see the location, you'll...

lol Great vid. Originally I heard they might allow owners to customize the slow speed audio byte. I assume the killjoys at NAFTA nixed that for the US...

That's an interesting case on your 124. Can you get to the vent and run a wire down it? In the old days I'd see grease and, sometimes, diff oil break...

Thoughts on Stock Air Box Filters

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fiat_Phil
    • Mar 2016

Thoughts on Stock Air Box Filters

How many of you have replaced your stock air box filter with a after market one? Thinking of getting a Sprint Filter any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
  • reedbri

I had swapped mine out for a BMC filter. I ran with it for about 2 years, and it definitely made a difference. I'm sure it didn't add any horsepower, but it did seem to pull a bit better. I just changed it out for my AFE intake a couple of months ago, so it's sitting on a shelf.
    Last edited by reedbri; 11-02-2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• Oli
      • Feb 2019

I have also the replacement filter in mine, combined with a dual air intake. Pulls better and makes also a little louder intake noise.
      Attached Files

Comment

• KellyfromVA
        • Feb 2016

Purely placebo effect. No different than feeling like your car runs better after it's been washed.

Aftermarket air filters have little nor any performance benefits. In fact, they can easily do more harm than good.

Here is a pretty good side-by-side tests of aftermarket air filters. As you can see in the video, the amount of air needed is directly proportional to the actual horsepower capacity of the engine, not the other way around. Putting a "low restriction filter" on just means there is a better chance of passing more dirt along with air:

Last edited by Fiat500USA; 03-03-2019, 08:58 PM. Reason: embedded video

Comment

• ice445
          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by KellyfromVA
          Purely placebo effect. No different than feeling like your car runs better after it's been washed.

Aftermarket air filters have little nor any performance benefits. In fact, they can easily do more harm than good.

Here is a pretty good side-by-side tests of aftermarket air filters. As you can see in the video, the amount of air needed is directly proportional to the actual horsepower capacity of the engine, not the other way around. Putting a "low restriction filter" on just means there is a better chance of passing more dirt along with air: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS69owXpGdY
          Normally correct but this engine runs a deficit when it comes to airflow. The more air you can shove in it, the more top end power you will see. It's slight, but 10HP is 10HP. Obviously a drop in filter is going to give the smallest amount of gains compared to a full intake replacement, but this has been dyno tested.
          2013 Fiat 500 Abarth in Grigio - Veruca
          Mod List:
          AAD Shifter
          TurboSmart Wastegate Actuator
          Forge Atmospheric BOV
          Neu-F 28mm Rear Bar
          Vogtland Springs
          Alfa 4C Coils
          Competizione CV2 Wheels
          EC Catch Can

Comment

• KellyfromVA
            • Feb 2016

10HP on a 100HP (down hill with a tail wind) engine is a huge increase. I don't see just an air cleaner or aftermarket air box ever generating that sort of gain, unless the stock air filter it replaced had 100,000 miles on it, so the engine was only producing 80HP to begin with.

Comment

• Oli
              • Feb 2019

I think it´s always the whole concept. Installing a cotton-filter makes no sense, if you don´t also remove the restrictors, that come OEM....I´m not sure of what engine you are talking (I was thinking this is the N/A section), but cutting off the intake hose that is sticking in the air-box right after the narrowing, is surely no disadvantage....
              Attached Files

Comment

• ice445
                • Sep 2016

Originally posted by KellyfromVA
                10HP on a 100HP (down hill with a tail wind) engine is a huge increase. I don't see just an air cleaner or aftermarket air box ever generating that sort of gain, unless the stock air filter it replaced had 100,000 miles on it, so the engine was only producing 80HP to begin with.
                Sorry, I'm only talking about the turbo ones. On a NA motor you probably wouldn't see any changes.
                2013 Fiat 500 Abarth in Grigio - Veruca
                Mod List:
                AAD Shifter
                TurboSmart Wastegate Actuator
                Forge Atmospheric BOV
                Neu-F 28mm Rear Bar
                Vogtland Springs
                Alfa 4C Coils
                Competizione CV2 Wheels
                EC Catch Can

Comment

• KellyfromVA
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by ice445
                  Sorry, I'm only talking about the turbo ones. On a NA motor you probably wouldn't see any changes.
                  Okay understood. That said; generally manufacturers will take superchargers or turbochargers into account when designing the intake path. Sure, I get the whole wanting to hear the cool side of the turbocharger spool up and down more clearly, but I still believe based on tests I've seen that there is little benefit to "low restriction" air filters with an engine that produces less than 500HP.

Comment

• Fabio13
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Oli
                    I think it´s always the whole concept. Installing a cotton-filter makes no sense, if you don´t also remove the restrictors, that come OEM....I´m not sure of what engine you are talking (I was thinking this is the N/A section), but cutting off the intake hose that is sticking in the air-box right after the narrowing, is surely no disadvantage....
                    Looks to me like you're losing intake air velocity by cutting. Bernouli's Principle.
                    2013 Fiat 500 Sport AT, Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra, 3M Crystalline Window Tint, Black top stripes, Black "500" (wide) side stripes. Fiat "500" Stainless door sills by Mopar. BlueTooth music streaming. OBDII BlueTooth Torque gauges streaming to smart phone. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires, STS rear sway bar, Euro+Drive NA 500 Tune, BMC reusable air filter and Spare Tyre with cover.

Blast to drive! 25 years newer than last car!

Comment

• Oli
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Fabio13
                      Looks to me like you're losing intake air velocity by cutting. Bernouli's Principle.
                      But that´s not a carburetor....for what do I need air velocity, when the air, after passing the narrowing, will enter the plenum in front of the air filter, then passing the filter entering the plenum after the filter and then finally will go through the throttle body...
                      No this thing is simply an air restrictor to reduce intake noise.

Or do you think these are also inserted due to the positive effect of high air velocity...?

The Ferrari F430 GT is a GT2 class machine which made its debut back in 2006. Risi Competizione were one of the first teams to campaign this car in the ALMS and Le Mans. This year will see the final French outing for 430’s in the hands of Risi as an all new Ferrari F458 …

risi19.jpg

Comment