Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

My Build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ron
    • Aug 2018

My Build

Started a build, and thought I'd share.

First, thanks to everyone here. I've been trolling all kinds of posts and the information has been invaluable.

It's an early 2012 with the suitcase exhaust, and I started with the chassis:
    • Eibach Pro-Kit springs
    • Front and rear Koni yellows
    • EC rear bump stops
    • CFP strut top mounts
    • CFP vertical chassis braces
    • Neu-F rear torsion bar
    • Zimmerman drilled rotors

Attached Files
    2012 Abarth
    4C coils - EC V4.1 intake & Pedal Pro - CHQ FMIC - Forge BOV - Bonalume shifter - Eibach Pro-Kit springs - Konis front & back
    Turbosmart WGA - CFP vertical braces & strut tops - Neu-F rear stabilizer - Clutchmasters FX-250R - Zimmerman drilled rotors
  • Robert Nixon

Good stuff!
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 68K miles, Koni yellow shocks, Madness springs, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016-2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014-2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Comment

• gverelli
      • May 2017

Looking good, and you did all the right tastful mods Im sure it already feels worlds of a difference

Comment

• Ron
        • Aug 2018

After about a week's driving on the new chassis parts, I re-torqued everything and had an alignment done. All good.

Not much new:
        • CPR subframe brace
        • Bosch 4C coils

I've been playing with the rebound settings on the shocks and struts. I'm set at 1/2 turn on the struts and a full turn on the shocks. For street work, I like it. It's not harsh, but also no secondary bouncing after bumps; and the back end is following me around nicely. If there's any understeer left, it's just the right amount for me. I ran in my first autocross set that way to see how I liked it when running harder, but I'm afraid I had too many other new things to pay attention to; so evaluation of the shocks/struts was shortchanged. There's always next month.

I'm currently waiting on parts to arrive, which is giving me an opportunity to actually drive it around more.

2012 Abarth
        4C coils - EC V4.1 intake & Pedal Pro - CHQ FMIC - Forge BOV - Bonalume shifter - Eibach Pro-Kit springs - Konis front & back
        Turbosmart WGA - CFP vertical braces & strut tops - Neu-F rear stabilizer - Clutchmasters FX-250R - Zimmerman drilled rotors

Comment

• streetsurfer
          • Mar 2013

Hi Ron,
          Welcome, and thanks for sharing. Looks like a real clean ‘12.
          I’ve subscribed with notification, to see what your future changes are. So many choices out there.

Comment

• Ron
            • Aug 2018

Originally posted by streetsurfer
            So many choices out there.
            Word. The first hurdle was which springs to make it sit like I wanted, but the real challenge is going to be deciding what goes on the outside. The only thing that seems certain is the hood; I put my hand on the air intake after running a few rounds at the autocross, and I see a hood extractor in my future.
            2012 Abarth

Comment

• Ron
              • Aug 2018

The red shift knob was the only mod on the car when I got it, and it is now gone. I put the original knob on top of a Bonalume short shifter. I like the stock interior (black leather), so I'm using the original shift knob, and the back seat will be staying.

Also installed an EC Pedal Pro and a GVB DV+.
              Attached Files
              2012 Abarth

Comment

• Ron
                • Aug 2018

Received the EC V4.1 intake, and it was installed during a break in the weather.

Still waiting on the FMIC, and since I'm working in my driveway I expect progress to be pretty slow for a while.
                Attached Files
                2012 Abarth

Comment

• problem_417
                  • Oct 2017

looks good! going for E+D phase 2?

Comment

• Ron
                    • Aug 2018

Originally posted by problem_417
                    looks good! going for E+D phase 2?
                    My intent is to be able to run phase 2, but I will likely go with less. The stock car is faster than I want to go, which leaves me with no good explanation as to why I'm doing any of this other than just having some fun.
                    2012 Abarth

Comment

• alex500a
                      • May 2015

Looking good, as someone who said the same thing, I won't be surprised if you eventually want to run ALL OF IT.

I'm at E+D phase 1, it is smooth and the power is not too crazy. Will likely do phase 2 at some point if I keep the car long enough.
                      2015 Abarth
                      Koni Yellows, H&R Springs, GFB DV+, EC FMIC, EC V4.1 Intake, Wilwood BBK Front & Rear, AEM Water/Meth Injection, E+D P0/P1 Tune, Neu-F Exhaust, 4c Coils

Comment

• Ron
                        • Aug 2018

Originally posted by alex500a
                        I won't be surprised if you eventually want to run ALL OF IT.
                        I'm fairly long in the tooth, so I doubt it; but I do plan on having the option, in case I surprise myself. I've already surprised myself by: one, buying this car. And two, modifying it. I've never modded a car, and it's been decades since I turned a wrench on one.

I have no idea why I'm doing this, I'm even past the age where I could blame it on a mid-life crisis. I guess even even us old guys need some fun.
                        2012 Abarth

Comment

• alex500a
                          • May 2015

This car has a way of bringing that out I guess. I'm not old, but not young either (it is all relative anyways) and this car is addictive. I get bored of my cars quickly and this has been the longest I've owned a car. Still surprised by all the looks it gets even though these are fairly common. Just went to the grocery store and this kid, probably 5 years old, was walking with his mom across the parking lot as I drove past and his head was glued to the fiat and I heard him say "woooooow" as I slowly drove past. Fun car and still gets some looks.
                          2015 Abarth
                          Koni Yellows, H&R Springs, GFB DV+, EC FMIC, EC V4.1 Intake, Wilwood BBK Front & Rear, AEM Water/Meth Injection, E+D P0/P1 Tune, Neu-F Exhaust, 4c Coils

Comment

• Ron
                            • Aug 2018

The weather has improved, so I'm back after it. Finally got that EC FMIC to sit right last night (about 3 evenings worth of fun), and now I'm having more fun trying to get the fascia back on.

The new wheels came in a while back (Evo Corsa San Remo), and the new tires today; so I'm on the verge of having a set of everyday wheels and a set of dress wheels.
                            Attached Files
                            2012 Abarth

Comment

• Ron
                              • Aug 2018

Abandoned the EC intercooler as unworkable. I had to shim the crash bar out to get the intercooler core clear of the condenser, and it was so far out when I finally cleared that I was stretching the bejesus out of the fascia at the corner bolts (the ones in the fender). Despite all the adjusting, shimming, grinding, filing, etc I just couldn't make it work.

Went with the intercooler from NGEN. The basis for that was:
                              1. I don't drive hard enough for long enough to justify an ATM (not to mention they appear to have been out of stock for the last 6 months).
                              2. My primary goal was just to clean up the plumbing.
                              3. Weight.

The intercooler is installed, and while I was in there I put on the blue Mishimoto radiator hoses.

(bonus picture with the fascia back on and the new wheels)
                              Attached Files
                              2012 Abarth

Comment