500 Madness

Thread: Anybody get letter from FIAT re: 2013-2017 FF BEV HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY SOFTWARE?

Thanks

Anybody get letter from FIAT re: 2013-2017 FF BEV HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY SOFTWARE?

Looks like FIAT is issuing a notice that’s not-quite-a-recall, called an “FCA Campaign.” Seems to be a bug that can cause the main battery to irreparably drain (to “bricked?”) state while trying to maintain the 12v battery. (I could also be misreading it.)

I’ve got a (so far) problem-free 2014, but will probably take this in when convenient.

Anybody else?

2013-2017 FF BEV HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY SOFTWARE

Campaign date: Sept 13, 2018

Thanks
    Got it yesterday. I do find myself a bit confused. If the 12V battery is dead, then the contactors for the HV battery cannot be opened. So I can't see a situation where the HV battery drains trying to recharge the 12V battery, when the contactors cannot be open.

Hope someone can point out how the flaw works.

ga2500ev

Thanks
    I took my 2015 500e to the dealer two weeks ago for the battery vent and inverter firmware update, and they also did "U69 HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY SOFTWARE UPDATE, FLASH BPCM PER U69 RECALL". I wasn't even aware of that one. Sounds like the same thing.

Thanks
    The way I read it on the FCA website is that IF there is a constant draw on the 12 v battery such that it would discharge over time, the software bug allows the HV battery to continue to maintain the charge of the 12 v battery even to the point it fully drains (and therefore becomes bricked). So, for example (my guess) if you left a door open or light on and left the car for a few days (longer?)at the airport, the HV battery might kill itself trying to maintain the 12 v battery charge, rather than save it self and let the 12 v run down. The fix must do something like stop backing up the 12 v after a certain amount of charge drain, or something. I will get it done Friday when they fix my blink odo.

Thanks
    I have not received any notification as of yet. Sounds like they may have found a corner case as some of the packs start to age a bit.

My original 12V I let die completely earlier this year. I didn't drive it for a couple days and even though it was plugged in when I went to finally drive it I was welcomed by several chattering relays inside the car when I opened the door. It obviously wouldn't start, nor would it even jump with a 50A battery charger on it. I did not notice any difference in the range or capacity when I got a new 12V for the car a day later.

I presume that this will be supplied to those of us who are out of the bumper to bumper warranty? I suppose the high voltage battery is still covered so they would want to minimize warranty claims.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricksuiter For This Useful Post:

500eInPA (10-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments, all! I'm going to call them in the next day or two to see if they're ready to apply this fix.

Yes, my 2014 is definitely out of the 4 year warranty period now, but I suspect what Ricksuiter is correct that they want to apply this update to save themselves the hassle (and presumably us owners too) of a bricked main battery that would be covered under their 8 year main battery warranty.

I'll report back what I hear!

Thanks
    I will have this done Friday morning. Will update after.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jamolay For This Useful Post:

500eInPA (10-03-2018)

Thanks
    Just logged into my FCA/Mopar account and I see "Campaign U69" for our 2014 500e, but the link to the PDF does not work.

When you park the car/remove the key from the "ignition" the HV battery disconnect will kick in after a few seconds. -- Supposedly that's the "klunk" you hear.

I wonder if there is some corner case where the disconnect doesn't kick in and then don't drive or charge the car for months? Like when a door is left open? -- Or if you have to do something like leave the car with the key in the "ignition", on/ready to drive, lights on and then just walk away?

Thanks
    Just got it done. Can’t tell anything, and wouldn’t expect to. About all I can say is that it didn’t take long.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jamolay For This Useful Post:

500eInPA (10-10-2018)