500 Madness

Thread: Cannot rotate tires on 500e?

Thanks

Cannot rotate tires on 500e?

Hi!

So I took my 500e to tire kingdom for an alignment and tire rotation, and seems the holes between front and rear wheels are different..

Anyone knows the reason of this? I was pretty surprised the tech couldn’t rotate them.

Thanks
    I don’t know if the holes are different, but the rear stock rims are 6.5 inch and the front 6”, so you cannot rotate the wheels front to back, only side to side if your tires aren’t directional.

You can can rotate tires, limited if they are asymmetric tread and/or directional, if you take them off the rims. The front and rear tires are the same and will fit on either rim. You can also buy a more square set of wheels and then you have more options,again,depending on you tires.

I do not know the exact reason the front and back are different wheel widths. There is information on the internet if you care. It is likely a subtle load or handling benefit.

A tire shop might rotate the tires for around $40-$50 I guess. But look at the wear, the tires on mine have modest wear after nearly 10k miles and it seems pretty even, so I probably won’t rotate them.

Thanks
    The front wheels are 5.5" wide and rear wheels are 6.5". The rear wheels are wider to optimize the suspension for the extra weight of the battery in back. Also the front might be narrower for aerodynamic and rolling resistance reasons (an extreme case of this is the super skinny front tires in the BMW i3). In practice, it seems to make little difference as some 500e owners have installed aftermarket wheels (with same width front and rear) without noticeable effect.

There is a pin screwed into the brake disc and a matching hole in the wheel. To prevent accidentally mounting front/rear wheels reversed, the pin size is different for front and rear. That is why the tire shop wasn't able to swap the wheels.

The pins are easily removed by unscrewing, and this is necessary to install aftermarket wheels. However if you really want to easily rotate the tires, you can remove the pins and allow the wider wheels to go in front. I have friend with a 500e who is a performance car enthusiast, and he thinks the steering is actually a little more responsive with the wider wheels in front.

Thanks
    The offsets are significantly different front and back as well.

Thanks
    Thanks to all for the amazing info!

Most likely I’ll be changing the wheels soon, but I was still curious.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksuiter View Post
    The offsets are significantly different front and back as well.
    Do you know the offsets? I can’t find any concrete information about them.

Thanks
    I have removed the alignment pin for 6 months already. Even though the wheels are different width, I rotate front to back and drove without any issue, since i got tire size with the same width and thickness. To me it handles better with the wider rim on the front. And i daily my car at 75 miles round trip/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I have removed the alignment pin for 6 months already. Even though the wheels are different width, I rotate front to back and drove without any issue, since i got tire size with the same width and thickness. To me it handles better with the wider rim on the front. And i daily my car at 75 miles round trip/
    Dont think thats a very good idea. The rears are wider for a reason.

Far fetched scenario, but, if you loose traction and hit something or someone, and the insurance companies notice you removed the pins and switched wheels, you may have an issue on your hands. Far fetched, yes, but attorneys and insurance companies will use anything against you that they can. Im not in the habit of supplying ammunition to those likely to shoot me with it...
    -Dirty Blond
    (Filthy really)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Blond View Post
    Dont think thats a very good idea. The rears are wider for a reason.

Far fetched scenario, but, if you loose traction and hit something or someone, and the insurance companies notice you removed the pins and switched wheels, you may have an issue on your hands. Far fetched, yes, but attorneys and insurance companies will use anything against you that they can. Im not in the habit of supplying ammunition to those likely to shoot me with it...
    Though the wheels are slightly wider but my tires size are the same. I have 195/65r15 on all 4 wheels, therefore the amount of traction is the same since the footprint of the tires to the pavement contact is equal. I've also been in accident and insurance does not take apart your wheel to determine the root cause that you took out the alignment pin. It's like saying since you put on aftermarket wheel, these are the root cause to you losing traction.