500 Madness

Thread: Noob questions regarding insurance and charging networks

Thanks

Noob questions regarding insurance and charging networks

Was just checking on insurance rates for the 500e, was surprised to find them a couple hundred dollars higher for the 500e then the rates for my SUV or my sports car. Has this been your experience too?

Also looking into the possibility of joining ChargePoint or similar. Would be interested in hearing what others are using, and their experiences with it.

Thanks
    Yes. I think most of us were surprised about the high insurance premiums, but it's not prohibitive to owning the car. We're paying $700 a year for pretty minimal coverage in southern California, but we're also saving about $3K a year in fuel given the 26K annual miles we've had. There was a recent article about why insurance is so high and it surmises that the replacement cost for parts are high and might not reflect the true market. The insurance is about twice as much as my 2001 VW Golf TDI and 50% more than our 2007 Lexus Rx400h.

As for Chargepoint, my wife regularly charges with Chargepoint at her work garage. We also have a level 2 charging station at our home (along with a 4.8kW rooftop solar array). I suggest you download the plugshare app or browse the website at www.plugshare.com to see which public networks are most convenient for you. In my area, Blink and Chargepoint covers 100% of our needs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7chord View Post
    Also looking into the possibility of joining ChargePoint or similar. Would be interested in hearing what others are using, and their experiences with it.
    Where are you located? As @maximizese mentioned, you should join the charging networks that are most available in your area. On PlugShare, set the filter to show only stations that have J-1772 plugs (compatible with 500e), then filter to show only one network at a time for comparison. In Northern California where I am, public chargers are dominated by ChargePoint, with others far behind. ChargePoint is a must in my area, and I also joined EVgo based on their locations and my driving patterns.

Thanks
    Thanks for confirming my insurance observation. Yep, I was definitely surprised. We don't have nearly the number of EVSE's here on the east coast, but there are still more then I thought there would be. Since buying this EV is a grand experiment, I'm not quite sure what I will need, but the majority of my weekly driving is within a 15 mile radius of home, with a lot of rather short trips making the range of the vehicle mostly a non-issue (I hope).

Thanks
    Doubt I'll be using my AAA card for a dead battery, but I wonder if they would tow an electric car with a dead battery? Anyone ever have gotten stranded due to a flat battery? How do you handle that?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7chord View Post
    Doubt I'll be using my AAA card for a dead battery, but I wonder if they would tow an electric car with a dead battery? Anyone ever have gotten stranded due to a flat battery? How do you handle that?
    Actually AAA have mobile EV charging service in a number of metropolitan areas: https://electrek.co/2016/09/06/aaa-e...harging-truck/ (2016 article — should have expanded to more areas by now). AAA service can also be useful if the standard 12V battery under the hood goes dead (prevents the electronics from starting up). In that case a regular 12V jump start will usually work, or replace the 12V battery if it is truly dead.

If you become stranded from running out of charge, you can have the car towed to a charging station. The Owners Manual has a section about towing. Note especially the instructions for manually unlocking the transmission, which may be necessary to maneuver the car for the tow truck.
    Last edited by rkw; 09-12-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks
    Hell, I pay $42 a month for full coverage, insured value $12,500, 100/300k limits, 500 deductible.
    Actually cheaper than my 2005 ford ranger farm truck with liability only on it...

Maybe because I drive like a grandma and havnt had a ticket in 25 years.

My helicopter insurance runs me about $50 a day though....
    -Dirty Blond
    (Filthy really)

Thanks
    EV's and any plug ins typically have higher insurance costs because the parts are so expensive. If you get in a collision that pops the airbags most specify that the battery is deemed un-safe and must be replaced so it's easier to total out the car.

Have a look here and you can get an idea of what is totaled.

https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/fiat/500e

For charging networks I'd say join all applicable networks in your area. They typically cost nothing to have and you only get charged when you use them. Here I have both Blink and Charge Point. In addition we do have Volta which is free and does not require a card. Your locale may vary. Blink and Charge Point you can just use the app on, but I've found I would not rely on that all the time. If you have the card it always works.
    Last edited by Ricksuiter; 09-14-2018 at 01:04 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricksuiter For This Useful Post:

ga2500ev (09-14-2018)