500 Madness

Thread: Dead Abarth

Thanks

Dead Abarth

Was on a bit of a road trip when going over a hill and the car suddenly would not go past 80mph. Right after noticing this the dash lit up all sorts of lights and a flashing CEL and got a message about the Hill Assist and ESC coming up on the screen.

About 30 seconds after this the car just shuts off. I coast to a stop and luckily I still had some cell signal and look up these issues online. I came up with all sorts of possible causes but the main one was a bad battery. The car would not run back on and after a few attempts the engine wouldn't even turn over, I just get a whirring sound every time I try to crank it over. I managed to get a new battery in there hoping that's all it was but nothing, just that whirring sound.

Any ideas as to what this could be? Only mods are the ones listed in the sig.
    Current mods: Injen intake, RRM V3 piggy, MPx blow off plate, 500 Madness catless DP, MPx axle back, Sila turbo blanket, 595 aluminum shift knob

Thanks
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 2,026 Posts
    I know this won't be of much help but two things...

1. If you were not aware CEL on is informational while flashing is problematic and means it should not be driven or running till corrected. (Not exact but I think you get the idea I am conveying, flashing = don't drive it).

2. Of the mods, the only one that I'd be concerned with while troubleshooting is the ECU module, removing them during times like this can go a long way in making the resolution a shorter process.

It might help to check the current fault codes and if you don't locate info post them and let other's help in that area.

Hope you get it resolved soon and without it being a major cost.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweak For This Useful Post:

jjthegreat (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,560 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Like Tweak said, read the codes (local auto parts places will read it for free if you don't have an OBDII reader and an app) and start figuring it out. If it's not starting, maybe it's the starter, but it could be something else.

This probably isn't related, but you said it wouldn't go over 80...do you have the speed beep thing set for 80?
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 61K miles, Koni yellow shocks, Madness springs, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016-2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014-2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Nixon For This Useful Post:

jjthegreat (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    No speed beep or anything like that set up. The car had been running fine all day up until that point, it really just happened out of the blue.

I'll try to get a hold of an OBDII reader since it will not even turn over much less run to get it to an auto parts store. Also want to note that the CEL was flashing during the car's initial freak out, it stays steady when trying to crank it over or with the power on.
    Current mods: Injen intake, RRM V3 piggy, MPx blow off plate, 500 Madness catless DP, MPx axle back, Sila turbo blanket, 595 aluminum shift knob

Thanks
    I won't be able borrow an OBDII reader until tomorrow but I checked the oil, just in case, and it was a bit low. Topped it off and tried again and it did try to fire up a bit more after that but now I the flashing CEL came back, the battery light went away, and the oil light came on.