500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Custom shielded short ram air intake

Thanks

Custom short ram intake setup

I made this custom 3" intake after going from an ec v4.1 to a filter directly on the turbo. I wanted to minimize heat soak, so rather than plumbing the intake through the hot engine bay to the factory cold air pickup, I thought it would be better place in the far passenger side corner where the coolant tank sits. I mocked it up and decided it would work pretty well, along with a heat shield to keep it isolated from high engine bay temps.

IMG_20180804_162833.jpg

Relocating the coolant tank was actually fairly simple. Using the threaded hole on the electrical box on the valve cover and zip tying the second mount to the fuel line along the firewall put it in a pretty perfect position to reroute the coolant lines.

IMG_20180803_130449.jpg

The heatshield had to be cut down a bit to allow for the intake pipe, and then I wrapped everything in heat reflective gold tape to keep the intake charge as cold as possible.

IMG_20180804_171151.jpgIMG_20180804_170736.jpgIMG_20180804_171121.jpg

I personally think this setup makes a ton of sense, as it places the intake as far as possible from heat sources in the engine bay, while using the shortest possible intake run. Granted it's a little more work that other options due to the coolant tank relocation, imo it's completely worth it to eliminate all the intake plumbing circling around the engine bay. Also the sounds is phenomenal, I'll record some audio soon.
    Last edited by rocketsausage; 08-06-2018 at 12:56 AM.
    2013 500t
    oft stg2, catless downpipe, center exit exhaust with hfc, custom short-ram intake, corsaforza fmic, gfb dv+, catch can, poly filled motor/trans mounts, nuef ss adapter, koni front/kyb rear shocks, madness agr springs, vertical chassis braces, ebc redstuff pads, rally mudflaps, roof rack, 180w led lightbar

Lifetime Member
    Thanks
    I like the idea.

What did you do with the intake connections for the boost solenoid and the evap system?
    2013 500c Abarth - phase 3
    2012 500 Pop - daily
    2016 Range Rover Evoque - Wifey's

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by texanbrit View Post
    I like the idea.

What did you do with the intake connections for the boost solenoid and the evap system?
    All three are vented to atmosphere actually. The evap and crankcase are vented through those small pcv filters, and the boost solenoid line is just a bleed line to let excess pressure out of the wastegate signal, so it doesn't really need to be hooked up to anything (it's only connected on the stock setup to maintain a closed system, boost control solenoids for aftermarket electronic boost controllers are the same thing, they just have a vent instead of the third vacuum line fitting).

All that being said it would be pretty easy to drill and tap the aluminum pipe and add a few fittings for the factory hose connections, I had deleted all those lines when I was still on my ec4.1, so I figured might as well just leave them that way.

You can see the pcv vent, evap line, and boost solenoid (which I relocated to the valve cover for other reasons) in this pic:
    IMG_20180804_171129.jpg
    the boost line just runs to the nest of coolant and electrical lines towards the firewall and tucks away, there's no filter on the evap line in the pic so it's just the open check valve.
    2013 500t
    oft stg2, catless downpipe, center exit exhaust with hfc, custom short-ram intake, corsaforza fmic, gfb dv+, catch can, poly filled motor/trans mounts, nuef ss adapter, koni front/kyb rear shocks, madness agr springs, vertical chassis braces, ebc redstuff pads, rally mudflaps, roof rack, 180w led lightbar

Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Thanks
    Very cool! I bet the sounds are phenomenal.

As an aside: Where did you get your turbo blanket? I've always been bummed that the off the shelf blankets available for our cars just sorta replace the OEM heat shield instead of attempting to insulate the compressor from the turbine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    Very cool! I bet the sounds are phenomenal.

As an aside: Where did you get your turbo blanket? I've always been bummed that the off the shelf blankets available for our cars just sorta replace the OEM heat shield instead of attempting to insulate the compressor from the turbine.
    Thanks! It's actually just a generic t3/t4 size turbo blanket I picked up on amazon. I don't remember the brand, but I think they're all pretty similar. You just have to cut a hole to allow for the wastegate actuator mechanism to poke through. Made more sense too me to do that and the dp wrap than go with one of the off the shelf blankets, looks better imo and way cheaper.
    2013 500t

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rocketsausage For This Useful Post:

Ando (08-06-2018)

Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsausage View Post
    ...looks better imo and way cheaper.
    Whoa, no joke! Part of me wonders how it performs compared to the custom ones, but the part of me with the wallet says "Who cares, it's better than stock and a quarter of the cost!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    Whoa, no joke! Part of me wonders how it performs compared to the custom ones, but the part of me with the wallet says "Who cares, it's better than stock and a quarter of the cost!"
    That was my thinking too, it's cheap enough it's worth a shot, and if you want more shielding you can install one of the fiat specific blankets over the universal one. That being said I feel like it's functioning pretty well just off of feel after a heavy drive.
    2013 500t

Thanks
    wait so we can run a filter right on the turbo and not have any issues w/ the 2 lines not being connected to the intake?? :O
    Current mods: Injen intake, RRM V3 piggy, MPx blow off plate, 500 Madness catless DP, MPx axle back, Sila turbo blanket, 595 aluminum shift knob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jjthegreat View Post
    wait so we can run a filter right on the turbo and not have any issues w/ the 2 lines not being connected to the intake?? :O
    Yup, well kinda at least. The evap line is just to let excess evaporated fuel vent out of the tank so pressure doesn't build up in there, the pcv is to vent blowby from the crankcase so it doesn't build up pressure an cause an oil leak, and the boost solenoid line is just too bleed pressure of off the wastegate signal line. So none of them *need* to be connected, it's mostly just hooked up that way in the interest of maintaining a closed system (as it is on most cars), but there are some benefits to it.

The intake does draw a small amount of vacuum on these lines which can be beneficial as it keeps the crankcase at a slight vacuum clearing out any gasses as soon as they appear. Running with those lines vented also does allow some fumes to vent rather than burning up in the motor, so it will smell a little, but it's minimal (less than running catless). Other than that yea, you can get rid of those lines without any major problems. IMO it's totally worth it to get clean up the bay a little bit and keep the pcv fumes from leaving deposits in the intake tract.
    2013 500t

Thanks
    Aren't you concerned about the coolant tank now, perhaps, being in a much hotter place? Did you consider replacing it with an aluminum one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast