500 Madness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nissan Juke is leaving the building...

Quote Originally Posted by Amacento View Post
    The market has been dominated by over-styled Asian cars for more than a decade. The Juke fit right in when it debuted. It got a pass... very true... but most reviews conceded it was not for everyone. The three trim levels for the Juke varied considerably... all available with either a 6spd FWD or a CVT torque vectoring AWD. That alone will gain it points in 'Murica. The 500L, unfortunately, had the distinction of being a love it or loathe FIAT wagon that adopted some of the styling of an SUV with only the space perk of an SUV. Add in the Stop Sale and you have all 'Muricans need to hate on it. I, personally, think the Elle is a much better looking car but I get why it has been panned in our market... I simply don't agree with the people who pan it. Even you waited for the 500X.

All that stated, I'm surprised Nissan took 7-8 years to replace the Juke. But I don't understand replacing it with a model that will obviously compete for space with the year old Rogue Sport. And they followed the formula of offering a smaller version of an already established Nissan (Kicks is a mini-Murano). The Rogue Sport and the Kicks are roughly the size of their full-sized siblings. That could be a smart move if the big SUV space gets sketchy?

The 500L and the 500X are the perfect size. The consumer gets the extra space without going too big.
    Great points. I got a chuckle out of "...need to hate on it". Seems true.

The thing that sticks in my mind is these reviewers will say "it's not for everyone" or something like that for the Juke, but when it comes to the 500L they'll make a blanket statement saying it's ugly. There are some things I like about the Nissan, and I'm all for not -the-same-old-same old, so I'm not going to trash it too badly, but the Nissan's styling is different just to be different with no real reason beyond superficiality as far as I know. The 500L, on the other hand, had it shape dictated by specific parameters like roominess, usefulness, visibility, safety and heritage to name a few off the top of my head. It is a much more 'honest' design as it is functional and not trying to impress you by being different or offbeat. A fair assessment of both cars would be "not for everyone" and the better reviews will mention that, but there are too many that just dismiss the looks without a second thought.

As far as buying a 500L, we would have without a second thought except we need AWD where we live. I love interesting cars.
    Last edited by Fiat500USA; 08-03-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: some weird late night grammar ;)

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    You mean the only SUV perk that 99.6% of 'murican's use? Oh, I guess ground clearance and AWD count a little bit where it snows, me.

I don't understand much of anything Nissan does these days if I'm honest. But I see Muranos everywhere so clearly they are doing something right.

Truth be told I hated the Elle when it was first released. I thought it looked like a 500 that never stopped growing. (Ironically) It has grown on me considerably after realizing how huge it is on the inside for such modest footprint. At this point I'd probably choose it over the X if I needed a bigger car.
    Yeah... the Nissan Rogue (full-sized) is their bread'n'butter. The Murano was their first foray into the SUV craze... so that sells it. Offering miniature versions of those models will likely work in their favor if the market shifts again. The missus drives the Rogue Sport. It's okay... certainly fits into "need interior space but not exterior footprint" category. The styling isn't for me but she loves it.

I dug the Elle upon release... didn't understand the negativity at all. The Stop Sale happened and I felt it could be doomed (FIAT badge). I live in a cold climate so I get buying a car with AWD or 4WD. That option is the only FIAT missed with that car. Styling preference is subjective after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post

The thing that sticks in my mind is these reviewers will say "it's not for everyone" or something like that for the Juke, but when it comes to the 500L they'll make a blanket statement saying it's ugly. There are some things I like about the Nissan, and I'm all for not -the-same-old-same old, so I'm not going to trash it too bad, but the Nissan's styling is different just to be different with no real reason beyond superficiality as far as I know. The 500L, on the other hand, had it shape dictated by specific parameters like roominess, usefulness, visibility, safety and heritage to name a few off the top of my head. It is a much more 'honest' design as it is functional and not trying to impress you by being different or offbeat. A fair assessment of both cars would be "not for everyone" and the better reviews mention will mention that, but there are too many that just dismiss the looks without a second thought.

As far as buying a 500L, we would have without a second thought except we need AWD where we live. I love interesting cars.
    The Elle trounces the competition in most areas, but it doesn't come with AWD or 4WD. Nearly everything else out there has that option.
    http://cc5club.blogspot.com/

https://www.pinterest.com/CC5Club/

https://www.facebook.com/CC5Club

... there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy. - James May

Vivere | Amare | Guidare is the name of the game. Read About The Legend Or Be About The Legend. - ARJR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Amacento For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (08-03-2018)

Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sometimes this feels like a uniquely American car culture thing. People revert to grade school bullies, if something isn't "cool" or "normal" the only logical response is to make fun of it. We've all experienced that prejudice with our cars if it's over size, styling, or brand. That's a whole topic by itself though. The upside is, pretty much everyone in our AutoX club "gets" my car.

The 500L, on the other hand, had it shape dictated by specific parameters like roominess, usefulness, visibility, safety and heritage to name a few off the top of my head. It is a much more 'honest' design as it is functional and not trying to impress you by being different or offbeat. I love interesting cars.
    It's a small detail but I LOVE the see through A-pillars of the Elle, doesn't matter who I'm with, I can't not point them out. So cool, so functional. My wife just rolls her eyes after having them pointed out dozens of times.

I live in a cold climate so I get buying a car with AWD or 4WD. That option is the only FIAT missed with that car.
    Yeah. We have driven small, light, low, FWD cars for years and it's not that limiting. If you install winter tires the only limitation is ground clearance. If you live in the suburbs like us you might get snowed in twice a season, for a few hours until the plows come around. It's part of the charm of snow I think. I get it, it's nice to have the freedom to not be snowed in ever... but choosing one car over another based on a few hours of convenience once per year is pretty goofy. That said, the AWD in my wife's Mini has completely spoiled me, I get away with the dumbest things in that car.

Ideally I'd like a Golf R so I can say I have AWD for performance driving reasons, but it then kicks serious ass in winter as a bonus.... as long as there's less than 4" of course...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ando For This Useful Post:

Amacento (08-04-2018), Fiat500USA (08-04-2018)

Thanks
    Yeah. We have driven small, light, low, FWD cars for years and it's not that limiting. If you install winter tires the only limitation is ground clearance. If you live in the suburbs like us you might get snowed in twice a season, for a few hours until the plows come around. It's part of the charm of snow I think. I get it, it's nice to have the freedom to not be snowed in ever... but choosing one car over another based on a few hours of convenience once per year is pretty goofy. That said, the AWD in my wife's Mini has completely spoiled me, I get away with the dumbest things in that car.

Ideally I'd like a Golf R so I can say I have AWD for performance driving reasons, but it then kicks serious ass in winter as a bonus.... as long as there's less than 4" of course...
    Don't get me wrong... The 500, FIAT and later ABARTH, was the only car of the household for many years. I'm 6' and the missus is 5'10". It was near impossible to drive with adult family or friends. My father is elderly. My mother looks a lot younger than she is but she's retired. They were not going to climb into that back seat. That meant the missus had to do it, and that was very uncomfortable for her. That is limiting in a most inconvenient way.

I see no charm in pushing, plowing or shoveling my way car out of snow to get to work. I'm an active guy and it's still taxing as all get out. WI and MN winters are much longer (Spring and Autumn are mostly extended months of one season) than summers. I get people buying cars for their climate. I will definitely have summer and winter cars when I retire in Europe. I plan to live in an elevated climate. Why would I drive a 500 when a Panda will do the job better? D'you know what I mean?

You characterized it best... "freedom". That's what bicycles, motos and automobiles are supposed to be. The more freedom the car offers the more attractive it is to most consumers. The 500 is an ideal second or weekend car. It's also a great city car (a city without potholes).
    Last edited by Amacento; 08-03-2018 at 05:59 PM.

... there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy. - James May

Vivere | Amare | Guidare is the name of the game. Read About The Legend Or Be About The Legend. - ARJR

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amacento For This Useful Post:

Ando (08-03-2018), Fiat500USA (08-04-2018)

Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Thanks
    Very well said.

Sorry everyone for the complete derail. RIP Juke, you will be missed, if only because you were different and not afraid of it.

It's also a great city car (a city without potholes).
    I hear these do exist... just far away from us.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ando For This Useful Post:

Amacento (08-04-2018), Fiat500USA (08-04-2018)

While I agree some folks can get by with FWD and good snows, others cannot. I live in a rural farm area on a steep mountain road where it can be nearly impossible to even walk up when it snows good. I also work late and snow plows are not that common when I come home from work. Even when the road is plowed it will tax FWD cars with the best snows. Add an inch or two of fresh snow and you likely 'ain't making it. Being late for work, snow emergency or not, is also not an option for folks like me. Most folks in the area where I live have AWD / 4WD. Fiat missed a lot of sales without AWD in my book in this area.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

Amacento (08-04-2018), Ando (08-05-2018)

Thanks
    I seem to always like cars that are not popular in the US. Mainstream cars=bland=boring = best sellers here. LOL
    Ditto....3 Fiats now....and a Suzuki XL-7 Grand Vitera.

2012 Pop Cabrio (Lil Blue/Poco Blu) 2013 Abarth Cabrio (Poco Ribelle) 1980 Spider Pininfarina 2000 (Money Pit)

Thanks
    Very well said.

Sorry everyone for the complete derail. RIP Juke, you will be missed, if only because you were different and not afraid of it.
    Agreed. There are many quirky cars left...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2