500 Madness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hello from a dad of two

Thanks
    Thanked 2,465 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by banger View Post
    Well, yes.

In fact, we just test drove a 500L for the first time tonight.

We pretty much loved it. More room than our cube inside. Faster than our cube by a lot, or at least it felt like it. Much better handling at the expense of a little bit harsher ride.

It was a one-year-old service loaner 500L Trekking with 11,000 miles for $17K. Leather seats, Beats Audio. Not a bad deal, but I think if we get real serious we can do better. A new, leftover 2017 500L Trekking in the same dealer's inventory would go for $20K OTD and would qualify for a better finance rate, so there's not a lot of spread there when you look at what it's gonna cost you over the course of a five-year loan, especially if we paid the loan off a year or two early as we usually do.

We're probably gonna wait until tax time next winter. Hopefully my 2010 cube has sold for a decent amount by then, and we're expecting a pretty hefty tax return to boot. If I get my wife into a 500L with a cheap enough payment, she promised me I'll be able to seriously look into adding a 500 Abarth to the family in a year or two. I can go for that. I've had a crush on Abarths since I first drove one in 2014.

Neat thing is the 500L sounds an awful lot like the Abarth, owing to their sharing an engine. Probably would sound even closer to an Abarth if I threw out the resonator.
    Sounds like you have a good plan so hopefully things work out as you'd like and maybe you can get into that Abarth. Love mine so I wish you the best!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by banger View Post
    I've had a crush on Abarths since I first drove one in 2014.
    5 years ago (almost exactly)I found myself on an unexpected car buying mission after my beloved Vibe starting having more issues than it was worth to fix (or very close to). I was getting estimates also while driving many possible replacements (like the Versa hatch, Mazda 2 hatch and several other vehicles) I also test drove an Abarth for the first time (I'd driven a 500c auto previously and didn't like it). I was immediately hooked. Like you, I had a sort of plan in place-either fix the Vibe now, and get a 500C Abarth the following year, or get a new 500 Sport now and trade for an Abarth down the road. Well, I wound up buying a new 2013 base Abarth, with 101 miles. It's now about to turn 69,000 miles. I don't have kids, well human kids-we do have fur kids, but we do plan on starting a family (most likely foster or foster to adopt, so also probably no rear facing car seats for us). I fully intend this to be MY 'family' car (we also now have a Toyota Matrix) and, would love to pass on my Abarth to my kids as their first car. Recently I've looked into getting something bigger, but I wouldn't be happy, and it's not necessary for me. I've taken my Abarth on road trips from Seattle to SoCal, to Salt Lake City, and the longest was a two week, 6200 miles road trip to Wisconsin and back. My Barthy has always gotten me where I need to go, and reliably. I'm not great on maintenance, nor am I easy on my vehicles, but my Abarth has easily held up. My interior trim is beat to hell, the outside is scratched and scuffed, but the car runs perfectly. I've always had a couple of electric glitches (mostly dash lights going out briefly) that happened a couple of years ago, but not really since. I've hauled more things in this car that one could imagine (dressers, futons etc). Currently, I have my rear and passenger seats removed as I do delivery for Amazon. Again-it hold the same amount of packages (sans seats plus some Tetris like packing) that others are loading into larger sedans, SUVs, and vans. The 500L wasn't out yet when I bought my Abarth, but I did drive one when they came out. It really was a nice vehicle, reasonably fun, and loads of space. But it's not a 500 Abarth. If you've been crushing on an Abarth that long, I'd suggest to go for an Abarth. There are definitely compromises due to the size (and the ride) but the fun factor of the Abarth is always there. Plus it's one of the few cars that the Sport button actually makes a difference. Good luck on your car shopping and selling!!
    Last edited by Barthy; 07-03-2018 at 10:42 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Barthy For This Useful Post:

banger (07-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing, Barthy!

Nissan cubes are selling for pretty strong prices where I am, so hopefully it finds a new, happy home by winter. I'm in no hurry. Lots of home improvement stuff to do in the meantime -- had to get the septic tank pumped today (eww) and have some other, less nasty plumbing to do in the near term, then gutters and a door replacement outside in the longer term. That will keep me busy while my Rupert waits for his next loving owner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2