500 Madness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Considering purchase of 500e but have questions/concerns

Thanks
    From your description it is clear that this car was designed for hot climate. Here in Central Europe we have exactly the same issue with range decrease during winter time. I wish to lose just 20 miles of range compared with current range of 110-130 miles :-).
    Eventhough its around 90F at this time of the year I make this range in city traffic even with A/C ON. This is my first summer with my Orange Beauty but until now it never turned on A/C compressor to cool the battery even during charging, so far passive cooling was enough.
    During freezing temperatures my range drops to some 70 or even less miles due to energy consumption for battery and cockpit heating.

Guy here suggests to turn on A/C during charging because car does so too late
    http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/6...ml#post1270841

Did you also observe it?
    Last edited by Jiri GrandPa; 06-14-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks
    The car ultimately I believe will do what is needed to preserve itself, but yes, it will try and be stingy on the cooling of the battery to keep the range up. I do not notice it kick on in 90 degree heat. The work around if you have the Fiat Access app working is to have the car plugged in and dial up the air conditioning to pre-condition the cabin. I have never had access to the app since I bought the car used, but I would suspect it would also start cooling the battery down also. If I had a garage where the car would be relatively secure I could of course just go turn the car on before leaving and get the same effect.

Thanks
    I made some short videos in case anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/0C6B3E8BgB4

https://youtu.be/eg6FCZ7ArMk
    Last edited by Ricksuiter; 06-15-2018 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks
    Do you have TomTom device with your car? It would be interesting to see how much power A/C draws at such temperatures.

Thanks
    I plugged in the Tom Tom today and it did not register anything on the climate control needle when the interior HVAC was off. When I turned the AC on it showed right at 2kW of power, which strangely went up for a short time to 3kW while I was driving. I am not 100% sure the compressor was running right when I turned the car on, but the cooling fans were definitely spinning fairly quickly. The temperatures the past few days have been a tad lower, but it's supposed to be 111 on Friday so I'll give it a try once more then.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksuiter View Post
    I made some short videos in case anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/0C6B3E8BgB4

https://youtu.be/eg6FCZ7ArMk
    Thanks for the videos. How does the car drive in the Arizona heat? Notice anything out of the ordinary?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
    Thanks for the videos. How does the car drive in the Arizona heat? Notice anything out of the ordinary?
    The only time I've ever noticed it not being "normal" is when we had an extreme heat wave (even by the standards here) and the car had sat outside in 116 degree heat all day. It did limit power a little bit (roughly 60kW, so still plenty) and I could tell it was splitting the refrigerant between myself and the battery for the first five miles or so of driving. Other than that it handles it without issue. When you plug it in on a hot day the AC compressor is chugging along and the fans are spinning at a fairly high speed to cool the battery loop. The air conditioning is so good it makes me now say that the AC in my truck (a 2007 Toyota Tacoma) is a little sub par by comparison.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3