500 Madness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fiat 500e regenerative braking system jerking when rolling to stop

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksuiter View Post
    When was the last time you flushed the brake fluid? That would be the first thing I would do if there is an issue with the mechanical braking.
    I thought this was the issue with mine. A brake flush later and it wasn’t resolved. I believe it’s just a feature of the car due to poor engineering. If you put the car in neutral from a moderate speed and then slow to a stop using the friction brakes you won’t notice the grabbing. This further supports my theory that it’s a poorly designed system. My i3 never does this.

Thanks
    This still happens to me after a year but the issue seems to only occur at the start of a drive. I’ve heard that the hydraulics in the brake system need a bit of time to pressurize and that could explain the delay.

I’ve also heard that pumping the brakes before setting off can help, though I’ve never tried it.

Thanks
    Two weeks ago I took my truck on a 2,600 mile road trip. I hadn't driven this vehicle this much in many years. Once I hit the road I realized I subconsciously had re-trained my brain to let off of the brake pedal significantly at the point where regeneration would switch to the friction brakes. This of course didn't work very well on the truck.

Thanks
    I recently bought a 2015 500e. After reading the last post in this thread I immediately realised why both my girlfriend and I have absolutely no problems with the braking: our brains were already trained by our other car: a 2016 Toyota Prius. The regenerative braking in both cars is very similar in (lack of) pedal feel.

Thanks
    My2015 500e also has that jerky brake feel. I'm pretty certain it occurs when the vehicle transitions from regenerative braking to friction brakes. It's very rough when the car is first driven in the morning. However after a few stops, it seems to get a lot smoother. In contrast I've driven a Chevy Spark, Nissan Leaf 1st, 2nd gen and Tesla model 3. All of those had very smooth braking. To me, this is the one area of the 500e with poor driving dynamics. Other than that, I love the car.

Additionally, I've driven a 2017 500e dealer loaner car and it was much smoother although I could still feel some rough transition at that ~ 8mph point. I wonder if it's due to different brake pad wear level, compound or just different braking system calibration.
    Last edited by RLF500; 08-08-2018 at 01:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2