500 Madness

Thread: Bad engine at 70,000 miles

Thanks

Bad engine at 70,000 miles

Hi all

Been awhile since I posted here but I have an issue maybe someone could help me with. My 500t has been bulletproof for the 3 years I have own it. That is until last week when I accelerated on the freeway at about 65-75 when all of a sudden the car felt funny, there was a puff of smoke out the pipe and the car started riding very very rough. The check engine light started flashing at me.

I figured it was just some air pollution sensor that when bad or some bad gas. I check the oil, maybe a quart low and filled it up and put new gas in. No change. Brought it to the dealer.

To make a long story short, apparently there is damage to the #2 cylinder, I don't have an extended warranty and now I need a new engine.

I called Fiat as I think this is kind of out of the ordinary. The miles are mostly highway or stop and go. I do push it hard on occasion but no track days or any racing on the back roads. Car still has the originally clutch and back brakes! Fiat customer care check all programs but apparently I don't qualify for any.

Any one else have any issues with the engine? I was ready to maybe trade it in on a 2018 but now I am definitely rethinking it. I am going to replace the engine, only thing that makes sense for me financially. It includes a new tranny and clutch as well a a2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Also, how do I contact Fiat and get past level 1 to escalate this? I really think this is a defect and not due to any normal wear and tear. Engines should last longer than this.

Jim

Thanks
    My engine lost the cam follower on cylinder #2... at 45,000 miles. Not likely due to mods as power levels don't really affect the cam follower that much, but still not going to be warrantied due to mods I've done to the car. I play to replace the motor this summer.

Honestly though, low mile failures of properly maintained engines are pretty uncommon. It happens with all brands, just sucks when you're the one it happens to.

As far as escalating, at 70k miles I doubt they would goodwill it. Whether it was a factory defect or not, it needs to fail within the warranty period to be covered by warranty. Usually if they're going to goodwill something like that it will be just past warranty, not 20,000 miles past.
    2015 Rosso Abarth - MAD FIAT - Broken
    2003 PT Cruiser GT 2.4 Turbo - SALVAGE PT - Not Broken
    2015 Granito Lucente 500t - Projecto Estupido - Broken

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aelfwyne For This Useful Post:

SeaDawg (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks aelfwyne. Not the news I wanted to hear but it is nice to get outside opinions.

Thanks
    My wife's 2012 500 Sport burned a cylinder #2 exhaust valve at 90,000, so yeah, it happens.

Thanks
    Our motors can be had for pretty cheap on ebay since they were used in the 500l and dodge dart as well. Most of them are around 1k, but some are as cheap as 600-700. I'd just drop in a used ebay motor and rebuild the old one (assuming the cylinder walls are ok).
    2013 500t
    oft stg2, catless downpipe, center exit exhaust with hfc, custom short-ram intake, corsaforza fmic, gfb dv+, catch can, poly filled motor/trans mounts, nuef ss adapter, koni front/kyb rear shocks, madness agr springs, vertical chassis braces, ebc redstuff pads, rally mudflaps, roof rack, 180w led lightbar

Thanks
    I already gave the dealer the ok to put the new one in. I did think about the used engine route but then would need to figure out the logistics. We are a 1 car family. The dealer gave me a loaner which helped seal the deal. Otherwise I would have to rent a car. If I could not afford it I guess I would have gone the used engine route. I am not happy about it but it is what it is.

Also, I rather have only one warranty. New engine has 2 year warranty unlimited miles ( I do 25k a year) so I am covered for awhile.

Should have it back this week. Looks like it will take a little over 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsausage View Post
    Our motors can be had for pretty cheap on ebay since they were used in the 500l and dodge dart as well. Most of them are around 1k, but some are as cheap as 600-700. I'd just drop in a used ebay motor and rebuild the old one (assuming the cylinder walls are ok).

Thanks
    Out of curiosity, how much was the repair?
    '16 BMW M4
    '15 Fiat Abarth
    '08 BMW X5 (Sold)
    '08 BMW M3 (Sold)
    '06 BMW 325xi (Sold)