Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

How To: Install Hella Horns on a Fiat 500

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NGEN
    Official Vendor
    • Sep 2012

How To: Install Hella Horns on a Fiat 500

HOW TO: Install Hella Horns on a Fiat 500

There has been a lot of interest in the Hella Horn Kit lately and this is a kit we offer on our website for $89.95 shipped:

Today, we installed this kit on luvshack's Abarth. Kit is pretty straightforward once you know where everything goes (Special thanks to Neuman for some guidance). The kit itself is universal and only comes with the following:

- 2 Hella Horns
    - 1 Relay
    - Wiring diagram printed on the box

Tools/Parts you will need (once the bumper is off):
    - Wire Splicer
    - Wire Crimper
    - Electrical Tape
    - Socket Wrench
    - 10mm Socket
    - 15mm Socket/Wrench (Electric Impact Gun is a lot faster and easier)
    - 13mm Socket
    - 18 gauge wire (Speaker wire works fine)
    - Wire Loom (to project the wires)
    - 8 Female Wire Crimp Connectors
    - 4 Butt Wire Connectors
    - 2 Ring Wire Crimp Connectors
    - Fuse-able Link with at least a 15 amp fuse
    - Zip Ties (optional)

Instructions:

1.) Raise front of vehicle and remove bumper. If you do not know how to do this, there are plenty of instructions on how to do that (easiest reference is for a FMIC).

2.) With the bumper removed, (facing the vehicle) remove the lower left bolt on the crash bar support on the passenger side and the lower right bolt on the driver side. These two bolts are removed with a 15mm socket.

3.) The horns come attached to 3 metal brackets that are put together. You will need to remove the bracket from the horn so that you can enlarge the hole. The brackets are secured to the horn with a 13mm socket. Once the bracket was removed, we put them one at a time in a bench vice and then used a drill to enlarge the hole to fit the bolts that were removed from the crash support.

4.) With the horns still removed, reinstall the bolts to the crash support with the brackets. Make sure the brackets are positioned so that the horns can be placed in the right spot. Now install the Horns on to the brackets. Here is a picture for reference:

5.) Each horn will have two male tabs. One tab will be positive and one will negative. They aren't labeled so you will just have to choose. To keep things simple, make sure both horns are the same on which tab is positive and which tab is negative.

6.) Starting on the passenger side horn, attach one wire with a female wire crimp connector to the POSITIVE tab. Run enough wire to pass over the crash support and reach the driver side horn. Leave that wire end near the driver side horn for now. We will go back to that. Now attach another wire with a female wire crimp connector to the NEGATIVE tab. Run enough wire to pass over the crash support and reach the driver side horn. Leave that wire end near the driver side horn for now.

7.) On the driver side horn, attach one wire with a female wire crimp connector to the POSITIVE tab. Run that wire and use a butt connector to connect it to the passenger side horn's POSITIVE wire that you set aside earlier. Attach a second wire with a female wire crimp connector to the NEGATIVE tab. Run that wire and use a butt connector to connect it to the passenger side horn's NEGATIVE wire that you set aside earlier.

8.) Take the POSITIVE wire from the two horns and add another wire to the other end of the butt connector. Crimp it and then run that wire to the relay. Attach it using a female wire crimp connector to Number 87.

9.) Take the NEGATIVE wire from the two horns and add another wire to the other end of the butt connector. Crimp it and then run that wire to the negative terminal of the battery. Attach it using a Ring Wire Crimp Connector at the same spot that ECU uses. Use a 10mm socket to remove the nut and attach the wire, then reinstall the nut. This will provide a proper ground to the horns.

10.) Disconnect the connector from the stock horn and then remove the stock horn. It is secured with a 10mm nut. Set the stock horn aside as you will no longer need it. Take the connector that was attached to the stock horn and push back the wire loom that is covering two wires (Positive is Purple, Negative is Black). If you plan to return this back to stock later on, cut the two wires leaving enough so that you can splice them back together later. If you don't care, just cut the wires and discard the stock horn connector (we discarded ours).

11.) Now that the stock horn connector has been removed, add a wire to the PURPLE wire (Positive Wire) using a butt connector. Run this wire and attach it to the relay on Number 85 using a Female Wire Crimp Connector.

12.) Add a wire to the BLACK wire (Negative Wire) using a butt connector. Run this wire and attach it to the relay on Number 86 using a Female Wire Crimp Connector.

13.) You are now down to one wire left. Add a wire and attach it to the relay on Number 30 using a Female Wire Crimp Connector. Take the other end of that wire and splice in a Fuse-Able Link with a 15 amp, then run the wire and attach it to the Positive Terminal on the battery using a Ring Wire Connector. Remove one of the 10mm nuts to attach it.

14.) Take the Relay and attach it to where you you like. Here is where we attached ours:

15.) That's it! Test the horns to make sure they work. As long as they work, now clean up your wiring using wire loom and/or zip ties.

16.) Reinstall Front Bumper.

I hope this helps anyone that is wanting to add this kit to their Fiat 500. This is a great kit and is noticeably louder then stock (but not like an air/train horn). This is what the horn decibel level should have been from the factory.

Again, if you would like to purchase this kit, click the link below:

sigpic
    Hours: Mon-Fri 10am - 6pm CST
    Call/Text: 832-948-9409
    E-mail: [email protected]

Facebook: www.facebook.com/ngencustoms
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/ngencustomsandperformance

• bryanintowson
    • Mar 2012

Great write up! Thanks for that!

Comment

• fiatlux
      • Mar 2018

Is there enough room with the stock SMIC and plumbing, or does this only work with a FMIC?

Comment

• NGEN
        Official Vendor
        • Sep 2012

You can do this with either option.
        sigpic

Comment

• fiatlux
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by NGEN
          You can do this with either option.
          I installed them yesterday. You can't mount them as shown if you have SMICs, and you can't mount them anywhere in that area because of the foglights. The only location where there's enough clearance is where the stock horn went, and similarly on the passenger side, though you'll have to drill a hole in the SMIC support brace to bolt the horn.

Comment

• NGEN
            Official Vendor
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by fiatlux
            I installed them yesterday. You can't mount them as shown if you have SMICs, and you can't mount them anywhere in that area because of the foglights. The only location where there's enough clearance is where the stock horn went, and similarly on the passenger side, though you'll have to drill a hole in the SMIC support brace to bolt the horn.
            There are numerous places you can mount them. I have mounted them in multiple places, using various brackets (usually L brackets) and utilizing pre existing holes. It’s tealky personal preference. Congrats on getting it done though!
            sigpic

Comment

• wilbmeister
              Lifetime Member
              Lifetime Member
              • Dec 2012

Does anyone have photos to go with this install or a video of it? The photos don’t show up above.
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW, What A Ride!!

2013 Fiat Abarth
              1974 Fiat X1/9
              2020 Subaru Forester Sport
              Specialized Roubaix Pro Road Bike

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                Amministratore
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by wilbmeister
                Does anyone have photos to go with this install or a video of it? The photos don’t show up above.

Check this out: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showt...r-Horn-Install

Here are a few threads tagged with: air horns

I'm on the way to work, but this thread may also have some info:
                Hi everyone! I've been away from the forums for a bit getting settled into a new location and just haven't had too much time to work on upgrades from my car. I originally had a 2013 FIAT 500 ABARTH in Black: About a month ago I had to opportunity to pick up a 2013 FIAT 500 ABARTH in White! I drove it from CA
                Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                fiat 500 forum signature
                abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• wilbmeister
                  Lifetime Member
                  Lifetime Member
                  • Dec 2012

I installed the horns today using Bryan’s instructions from above. A few quick thoughts...
                  1. I used red and black wires for the positive and negative to make it easier.
                  2. When combining the wires from the left and right horns I put the wires into the same side of the butt connector.
                  3. The horns are mounted on the outside lower crash bar bolts.
                  4. I probably made each wire a little longer than they needed to be. Just me being over cautious.

Thanks to Bryan at NGEN for the horns and great instructions. Oh by the way, they sound great!
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW, What A Ride!!

2013 Fiat Abarth
                  1974 Fiat X1/9
                  2020 Subaru Forester Sport
                  Specialized Roubaix Pro Road Bike

Comment

• Haring
                    Lifetime Member
                    • Feb 2012

I need to do this on my cabrio. I remember doing it on my first '13 Sport but hated that when you hit the alarm there wasn't a "beep/honk" Have they ever figured a way around that vs having to turn around and watch the lights light up when you hit the lock button on the key?
                    2018 Luminoso Orange 500c Lounge - H&R/Koni - Abarth Interior, 17" Wheels & Exhaust

Comment

• Mozella
                      • Jan 2021

Originally posted by Haring
                      I need to do this on my cabrio. I remember doing it on my first '13 Sport but hated that when you hit the alarm there wasn't a "beep/honk" Have they ever figured a way around that vs having to turn around and watch the lights light up when you hit the lock button on the key?
                      Actually, I did the air horn mod on my Abarth specifically to eliminate that beep when you lock the car. On most cars you can disable that feature, but apparently not on the Fiat. The horn still tries to beep, but the compressor doesn't have time to build any pressure so it doesn't make any noise.
                      By the way, I mounted my horns by removing the driver's side wheel well liner and leaving the bumper intact. It was easy. I had to fabricate a simple bracket for the compressor, but it was not difficult.

Comment