500 Madness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Changed oil for first time yesterday

Thanks
    Fight on:
    I didn't want to use impact believe me
    I tried letting it cool and a breaker but neither one would work
    Good thing the socket didn't fit sloppy because I envisioned the drain plug breaking the oil pan or aleast ripping out the threads and the plastic oil cover just twisting the plastic nut and not getting it free up
    I saw the aluminum oil cover but their expensive!
    well I won't have worry about it when I change the oil the next time
    Fiat: yeah the oil extracter makes seen
    I might as well get a extra oil filter cover good idea

Thanks
    The drain plug can be a real mf, I know. You may want to throw a few bucks at it and go for a 1/2" drive wrench with an extension bar... just to get you that extra torque and somewhere to hang on with your other hand to keep it in place. And be sure you're using the deep socket, too. I know one thing that works for me is to hop out from under the car and yank on it from the passenger side. It feels spooky like the car is gonna hop off the ramps and punish you for your sins, but you'll be fine. And don't forget -- that's almost a disposable part since it strips so easily but is maybe $3 or something on RockAuto. (Not a bad idea to throw one in your cart when you're ordering oil and air filters. Can never hurt to have some spares laying around the garage!)

As far as the filter cap, there's a bunch of 27mm sockets out there made specifically for that filter cap. Apparently, Benz and Nissan and that nasty looking British abomination that shall not be named... all use the same style of filter cap. The sockets are super nice looking and are nice and shallow for a solid fit. I scored one on Amazon for like $8 and some change.

Mopar slangs those filter caps for like $13 or something. You should be okay if you strip it.

Oil extractors are cute and all, but honestly you should never underestimate the benefit of being able to hop under the car every few months and just get the lay of the land to make sure life is going as it should down there.
    _______

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks
    I have plenty of 1/2 in breakers ranging from 18 in long to a homemade welded model thats made with 3/4" pipe 3 ft long and got plenty of sockets to fit on oil filter cover and drain plug---let me tell you that filter cover and drain plug were on there!! But not now!!
    Last edited by Michaelsfiat; 06-30-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Sp

Thanks
    So, I just did my first oil change on my 2016 500 NA (not the first for the vehicle). How do you get the oil filter plastic cover out of the vehicle? Out of the top I had to remove the element from the plastic cap and force the washer fluid bottle neck over a lot while smashing a wire harness. Is that really how it should be done? Or can you drop it out the bottom? One tip I have for DIYers is make sure you oil the threads of the belly pan screws. I can see they will corrode and probably break or strip pretty easily.

Don't make it hard on yourself. Just take off the engine cover and the air filter box/plenum. It's only a few fasteners and you'll have a lot more room.

Note: When performing an engine oil change, the oil filter cap must be removed. Removing the oil filter cap releases oil held within the oil filter cavity and allows it to drain into the sump. Failure to remove the cap prior to reinstallation of the drain plug will not allow complete draining of the used engine oil. If the cap is removed after the drain plug is tightened, the dirty oil in the filter housing will drain back into the oil pan. That may have caused your over-filled condition.

We've had numerous oil change threads on the forum. Here's a post from one of them with pictures:

Quote Originally Posted by Alvon Elrod View Post
    Here are some pictures of the oil change, as promised.

Top of the engine, with engine cover and air filter box removed, showing oil filter location:

Under the car, on jack stands, engine cover removed, showing location where I used a floor jack to lift (before removing lower engine cover).

The oil pan, draining:

A couple pictures of the air filter box (top and bottom), showing where 3 fasteners are.

The bottom engine guard, showing the 6 faster locations.

Oil Filter manifold with canister removed, and canister with the old filter and the replacement filter.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

WillFiat (07-03-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    Don't make it hard on yourself. Just take off the engine cover and the air filter box/plenum. It's only a few fasteners and you'll have a lot more room.

Note: When performing an engine oil change, the oil filter cap must be removed. Removing the oil filter cap releases oil held within the oil filter cavity and allows it to drain into the sump. Failure to remove the cap prior to reinstallation of the drain plug will not allow complete draining of the used engine oil. If the cap is removed after the drain plug is tightened, the dirty oil in the filter housing will drain back into the oil pan. That may have caused your over-filled condition.

We've had numerous oil change threads on the forum. Here's a post from one of them with pictures:
    I agree. It's much less hassle to just remove the airbox. Opens up plenty of room to replace the oil filter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2