500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Changed oil for first time yesterday

Thanks

Changed oil for first time yesterday

IYesterday I changed the oil on my 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
    Its wasn't that bad
    Besides the fact the oil drain plug and filter cover had to be taken off with an impact wrench
    it was on that tight!
    I bought the fiat used with about 20000 miles on it and it's a real cream puff!
    Really in excellent condition the guy had the oil changed before I bought it and it was included in the paperwork
    I thought I'd give it a try to bond with my fiat!
    It went kinda smooth except when I put the impact to the drain plug the oil spilled because I couldnt stop the impact wrench from spinning! I put plug back on there by hand and torqued to specifications same with oil cover
    why do they have to get the filter cover so tight with a rubber o-ring and a drain plug with what seems is a washer or cushion on it...it just baffles me!
    The filter cover is a little tricky to take out and put in but managed I moved over wireloom I felt was in the way
    When I do it again I will probably invest in a fujimoto quick release valve and I was looking at a aluminum filter cover(although they are expensive to say the least)
    Generally it wasn't that bad...I really would be happy with an oil filter instead of the cartridge...Is the anyone out there that makes a filter relocation kit for the fiat 500 Sport that takes a oil filter
    I remember way back having a 66 Chevy Malibu with a 283 engine with a cartridge filter and you could get an kit that converted the cartridge filter to an oil filter it would be nice if they made that for the Fiat 500
    it didn't relocate the filter it just changed it to accept an oil filter rather than a cartridge

Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,049 Posts
    Congrats on getting the job done! I had a similar experience on a previous car, I think the Wal-Mart guys had changed it before and just hammered the drain plug on, no idea what people are thinking sometimes!

If someone make a conversion kit to go with a regular filter I'd snap one up in a heartbeat!

Next oil change I'm going to try an oil extractor just to make it a bit less messy.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 61K miles, Koni yellow shocks, Madness springs, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016-2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014-2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Thanks
    Robert
    Yeah maybe I'll try an oil extractor too!
    I think best ones are motorized
    Less of a mess definely!
    But the real kicker would be the cartridge to oil filter...I think!
    I saw online they still make one for the Chevy small block hmm wonder if you could adapt it to the Fiat 500?

Thanks
    Here's the part for Chevy
    [COLOR=#454545]https://www.hedman.com/filter-conversion-kits[/COLOR]

Thanks
    Yeah, that drain plug is a real sonofagun. Be careful too, because it'll strip in a heartbeat. Good news is they're like $3 on RockAuto. I'm not 100% convinced on the fujimoto, myself... but I found that a socket wrench with a cheater bar on it generally does the trick. (can't believe you went impact wrench on that thing! ��) The worst part of that plug is that because of where it sits unless you've got the thing up on a lift... it's a really odd position from which you'd turn a wrench. Tough to get real torque on it. Since Frankie is up on ramps when I change oil, usually I will loosen the plug from not under the car, on the passenger side -- but just barely so it doesn't come out completely.

A conversion kit would be a godsend. Even then, though... the oil filter still sits in a pretty awkward spot. My running theory is that they made the 500 really inconvenient to work on yourself, so you'd just say screw it and take it into their shops for the jacked up dealer rates. Fortunately, folks like us relish a challenge. ��������
    _______

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FightOn14 View Post
    Yeah, that drain plug is a real sonofagun. Be careful too, because it'll strip in a heartbeat. Good news is they're like $3 on RockAuto. I'm not 100% convinced on the fujimoto, myself... but I found that a socket wrench with a cheater bar on it generally does the trick. (can't believe you went impact wrench on that thing! ��) The worst part of that plug is that because of where it sits unless you've got the thing up on a lift... it's a really odd position from which you'd turn a wrench. Tough to get real torque on it. Since Frankie is up on ramps when I change oil, usually I will loosen the plug from not under the car, on the passenger side -- but just barely so it doesn't come out completely.

A conversion kit would be a godsend. Even then, though... the oil filter still sits in a pretty awkward spot. My running theory is that they made the 500 really inconvenient to work on yourself, so you'd just say screw it and take it into their shops for the jacked up dealer rates. Fortunately, folks like us relish a challenge. ��������
    Yeah whomever changed the oil last time really put a lot on the drain plug and filter cover...I don't why they have tighten the $&?! out of it
    The drain plug has a gasket on it and filter cover has o-ring on it...I would think that might indicate to you it does not need to be so tight
    I had to get off the filter cover with the impact too which made changing the oil kind of a mess
    Especially the drain plug cause with impact wrench you can't stop it from turning and taking off the drain plug SLOWLY so I had to move fast to get the oil drain pan under there before draining the oil on to the floor
    But with impact I could only fit it under there and the oil drain pan was right next to the plug not under the plug so I made a little bit of a mess
    Next time will be easier no impact
    It would be nice it they made a conversion kit for the filter cartridge so you could just have spin on filters
    what where they thinking?
    I think your right about the fiat being made so the "stealership" can make money the repairs!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,049 Posts
    The oil drain plug and the oil filter don't need to be so tight, too bad not everyone that works on cars knows this!
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 61K miles, Koni yellow shocks, Madness springs, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016-2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014-2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Nixon View Post
    The oil drain plug and the oil filter don't need to be so tight, too bad not everyone that works on cars knows this!
    Ain't that the truth!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Michaelsfiat For This Useful Post:

Robert Nixon (06-13-2018)

Thanks
    For next time...

First, put the impact wrench away. You're gonna hurt your 500. If the plug is giving you a hard time, try the cheater bar on your wrench. Also, a deep socket is gonna be the way to go on that one. Just give it some real solid yanks until it loosens. Also, on the oil filter, skip the impact wrench there too. Just use a very long 1/2" drive extension bar on your regular socket wrench, and put an elbow joint on the 27 mm socket. You'll be able to get right in there.

The other thing that will help, is once you get it up on the ramps, the underbody guard is off, and the hood is popped... go get a cup of coffee. Seriously. Go have some coffee, maybe have something to eat, hang out for a bit, and let everything cool. The oil plug is smaller and will contract faster as the car cools off. You'll still have to really have to yank on the thing, but nowhere near as bad as before. It'll even give you a little time to change the air filter and wipe the rims down.

Seriously, put the impact wrench down.
    _______

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." - George Bernard Shaw

You have to remember, there isn't a lot of room in the engine bay and the engine needs to be as compact as possible to fit in one of the smallest cars on the road, so that makes things tight. On the cars with bigger engine compartments there is more access. An oil extractor makes changing the oil so much easier: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/09/fi...il-change.html

Like any car that uses a composite oil filter cap, they can be easily damaged and there is a good chance that the cap will wear out eventually unless a good deal of care is taken. We have a vendor here that sells an aluminum cap. The last I looked, the cap wasn't that much from the dealer, too It may pay to have a back up if you keep the car for a while.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

bryanintowson (06-13-2018)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast