500 Madness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fiat 500 Abarth One of Fastest Cars for the Money

Thanks
    Thanked 2,483 Times in 2,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiatlux View Post
    As much as I like my Abarth, inquiring minds would like to know what you were driving before if this is the highest quality car you've ever had...
    He is young so not many rides but before he had a Ford that was falling apart inside for no apparent reason. (He lives nearby and we hang out sometimes). He isn't likely to reply so I figured I would.

Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    He is young so not many rides but before he had a Ford that was falling apart inside for no apparent reason. (He lives nearby and we hang out sometimes). He isn't likely to reply so I figured I would.
    Makes perfect sense, cheers!

I was actually thinking about this last night while driving. Some of the materials and fit and finishes in our cars are meh, but they totally make up for it in style. I look at Fiesta STs from time to time but I can never quite get over how hideous the interior is. Point being, there are numerous ways to define quality.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by texanbrit View Post
    I love my Abarth, more than is probably healthy. However I don't think that it is high quality, perhaps you could say that the quality is good for the price bracket but not sure that is true either. It's okay. I think the car overall is fantastic value for money, there is no question about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    I'm assuming based on the theme of this thread you are referring to the cost of a Used Abarth.

If I needed a new car RIGHT NOW, and the used market was for whatever reason off limits, I don't think I'd end the day with an Abarth in the garage... maybe still a FIAT... but not an Abarth. And that worries me. I want to be a brand ambassador but if I can't even see the value in the MSRP of a car I love what chance does Abarth have to win over the skeptics?

To address the original topic; For $10,000 the quality of my car is phenomenal, for ~$27,000 I'd probably be furious with myself. It's all relative.

Good points. And yes, I mean good value and quality for used car around +/- $12K with some stock performance enhancements (Abarth)

I do believe, these cars in the US does not have a good rep. Hence, the lower prices on the used car market?...

Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2MS View Post
    I do believe, these cars in the US does not have a good rep. Hence, the lower prices on the used car market?...
    I think that's fair to say, though I'm sure there are more variables at play than just a bad taste from the last time FIAT was in our market. A great example of this is the Fiata. We're already starting to see used market prices diverge despite the 124 having more usable street power.

Thanks
    Part of it is the FIAT name, but it's not like the rest of Chrysler has a very good reputation. For the last 20 years, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, and RAM have been consistently at the bottom of the heap when it comes to reliability and quality studies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fiatlux View Post
    I haven't had any major mechanical issues with the Abarth (other than the steering clunk fixed under warranty), but a few things that don't speak well of build quality:
    - massive gap between hood and fender on one side
    - more rattles than i care to enumerate
    - tailgate latch fell apart
    - both armrests feel like they're about to fall apart (but they surprisingly haven't)
    - leather seats show more wear at 40K than my lexus at 180K
    - taillight condensation
    - rust on rear seat bracket
    - stripped lug nut covers
    - sagging rear cargo cover
    - fuel door doesn't open smoothly
    - side skirt is starting to peel

Now, does any of these issues make the car less fun? No. But do they call into question the build quality of the car? Heck yeah.
    I've owned many cars over the years. Two that I still own are high quality cars that have held up quite well over the years (in the case of the '01 Highlander) and will over the coming years, in the case of the MB. What you've described - and I've quoted - sounds to me like an example that has been abused. The red leather seats in my 6 year old Abarth with 44k miles look almost new. Because I've taken car of them and the rest of the car. As I do all the cars I've owned.

And I've not had any of the other issues you've described. Again, it's the care that the car has been shown.
    Brad F.
    2012 Abarth
    2013 Mercedes Benz E350 BlueTec
    2001 Toyota Highlander
    1981 Fiat X1/9

Thanks

I was actually thinking about this last night while driving. Some of the materials and fit and finishes in our cars are meh, but they totally make up for it in style. I look at Fiesta STs from time to time but I can never quite get over how hideous the interior is. Point being, there are numerous ways to define quality.

if you can get over that mothra meets rodan FiST interior, you can stomach anything!
    Brad F.
    2012 Abarth
    2013 Mercedes Benz E350 BlueTec
    2001 Toyota Highlander
    1981 Fiat X1/9

Thanks
    Thanked 2,483 Times in 2,036 Posts

His interior passenger door was falling apart and he almost never had anyone riding in that side of the car so quality was subpar in his opinion. Looks are definitely a hate it or love it kind of thing it seems, that applies to inside and outside for most when it comes to the STs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3