500 Madness

Thread: The dreaded Limited Power Mode turtle.

Thanks

The dreaded Limited Power Mode turtle.

I have a 2015 Fiat 500e.

My 12 Volt Battery went dead, and as in the past, I charged it and everything was fine. Not this time. When I started the car, I got the turtle.

I am beyond frustrated as I have tried everything. I bought an OBDLink LX and could find no faults. Yes, I have disconnected the 12 Volt battery more time than I care to count. No, the car will not charge, the two outside LEDs flash. The main battery pack is more than half full.

Getting the car to a Dealer that can repair it is nearly impossible because I live in Tennessee.

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by markdil; 05-04-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Sorry I don't have any experience with the 500e, but I found some 500e service dealers in Virginia that might be able to help with a phone call.

We've had someone from FIAT CARES on this forum that might be able to help also.

Southern FIAT of Norfolk Norfolk VA
    Dick Myers Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram FIAT Harrisonburg VA
    Safford of Winchester Winchester VA
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 61K miles, Koni yellow shocks, Madness springs, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016-2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014-2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Thanks
    Can you see what the battery pack temperature is at? You'll get the turtle if it's too high.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth in Grigio - Veruca
    Mod List:
    Craven Speed Short Shifter
    TurboSmart Wastegate Actuator
    EC V2.1 Intake
    Forge Atmospheric BOV
    Neu-F 28mm Rear Bar

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ice445 View Post
    Can you see what the battery pack temperature is at? You'll get the turtle if it's too high.
    It still is fairly cool around here, so I don’t think heat is an issue.

I dug a little deeper and found this. If I am reading it correctly, it thinks the battery pack is too high, and too low. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for all the advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    My sister has a 2014 that showed the turtle with 35% charge, and it would not run at all. She had it towed the 20-30 miles to the closest dealer that could work on it. In her case, the connection at the main battery was loose. Since it was a battery pack issue, they didn't have to pay for towing or the service. I've got a 2015 and *knock on wood* have not had any issues since I purchased it this past November. Hope you get it sorted without too much pain. I'm going to follow the thread so I can see how things go.

Thanks

A happy ending!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlenorthwest View Post
    My sister has a 2014 that showed the turtle with 35% charge, and it would not run at all. She had it towed the 20-30 miles to the closest dealer that could work on it. In her case, the connection at the main battery was loose. Since it was a battery pack issue, they didn't have to pay for towing or the service. I've got a 2015 and *knock on wood* have not had any issues since I purchased it this past November. Hope you get it sorted without too much pain. I'm going to follow the thread so I can see how things go.
    Well, beyond frustrated, about ready to sell it on eBay, I figured I’d try one more thing. I called the local Fiat Dealer. I knew they did not work on them, because I had called them six months back to take care of a recall. They could not I was informed. They were not trained!

Anyway, I called the Service Department and was ready to beg them to please take a stab at it. They told me, no problem, they just hired someone who was trained to work on them!!! Am I hearing this right? Is it my lucky day? Should I hop in my gas car and go buy a few lottery tickets?

I immediately called a towing company and had the car towed there. First, they did the recall, as they suspected that might have been the problem. It wasn’t and still did not run. To make a long story short, they ended up getting help from Fiat engineers and reset the computer. Car FIXED!!!

I have to tell everyone, that is an amazing car. I have owned seven electric cars and the Fiat is twice as good as the next one in line! If you are thinking about buying one, two words, DO IT!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to markdil For This Useful Post:

rustbucket (05-15-2018)