500 Madness

Thread: 500L M/T getting harder to shift?

Thanks

500L M/T getting harder to shift?

Hi all.

I've got a 2014 500L Trekking with a manual, just shy of 50K miles.

The shifter has always been quite notchy, but lately I've noticed increasing difficulty getting into gear, particularly into first from a stop. 8 or 9 times out of 10 it works OK, but sometimes the shifter wont physically go into gear so I have to back it off and retry two or three times before I'm successful. Once I'm in gear no obvious problems, though it does seem like it also takes more effort switching between the gears than it used to.

Anyone know what this kind of symptom is likely to caused by? Doesn't sound like the clutch-- feels the same as it always has-- but I'm not enough of a gearhead to know for sure.

Thanks.

Joe

Thanks
    While there can be other causes of this problem, like air in hydraulic clutch lines, I suspect that it is something that could be fixed with a fluid change. Mine is a bit notchy too and doesn’t shift as smoothly as the 5 speed transmission in its little brother 500.

If you keep driving it this way you could wear down the synchronizers so best to address the issue now. The 75W gear oil is expensive at the dealer and I’m going to use it in my 500 where it works well. For the 500L I’m planning on trying a different 75W like the Fuchs or Febi oils. Redline MTL is a 75W80 that would probably work well too. I’m not one for experimenting with oils that are not on the recommended list, but shift feel is important and synchro wear is bad so I make an exception for manual trans fluid. If it feels good when you shift, use it! That’s my motto!

Thanks
    Hey guys,

I find that getting my 500L into gear can be difficult sometimes as well. Especially if its cold outside, in the 40's or below and I have to work it to get it in gear. Good thought on the trans fluid, going to look into those brands and probably have it changed.

Thanks
    By no means am I an expert on oils, but if you are are having trouble at cold temperatures, then a scientific way of going about this could be to look at the number of centistokes at 40 degrees Celsius of various transmission oils. This is a standard measuring point. The lower the number the better i.e. the oil will be more thin. You need that as the temperature falls.

G070 726 A2, an oil from VW, is an example of a very thin gear oil. It causes my old 1994 Jetta to shift like butter even at minus 15 F.

PB

Quote Originally Posted by 2014-500L View Post
    Hey guys,

I find that getting my 500L into gear can be difficult sometimes as well. Especially if its cold outside, in the 40's or below and I have to work it to get it in gear. Good thought on the trans fluid, going to look into those brands and probably have it changed.