500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Abarth - Crackle and Pop

Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Tramonto's Avatar
    Thanks

Abarth - Crackle and Pop

Last weekend at the FOTD it seemed all the Abarths were doing their C&P thang. I tried holding my tongue to the right and to the left. I get nothing. I even put it in Sport Mode and leaned forward, still nothing. Is it because I have the Automatic? (And I do not want to hear anyone say "why would anyone want an Automatic on an Abarth". After 13 years of Special Ops and Black Ops plus being over 65 I do not want to hear it. At this point Im just glad I remember which way to put my pants on.)

This might help:

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/blogs...for-euro-drive

There were several people with the above tune and quite loud at FotD! I even put it on my Elle with some success:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MozzaFiato! For This Useful Post:

Tramonto (04-15-2018)

Lifetime Member Lifetime Member
    Thanks
    I like my Abarth but I didn’t care for it loud so I had my local muffler shop put a Magnapack muffler in the midpipe. It’s quiet at idle but has a nice deep tone at cruising. It got rid of the crackling and popping.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth white mirror caps and stripes.

Thanks
    I feel this is much the same as de-clawing a cat.
    I see the need, but that’s why I bought it.
    2013 Rosso Abarth 5spd Bianco 17s
    "It feels like you have no suspension! Why does it explode when you shift?
    IS YOUR CAR ILLEGAL??" ~ My Mom

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trunkout For This Useful Post:

BradF (04-15-2018)

Thanks
    i felt the same way when i got my car a while ago- trying to figure out how everyone else got those whipcrack snaps and pops. ive found that the best way to get them is mostly in manual mode, and even in non-sport mode ive managed some loud cracks with the trick being shifting at around 4k. its most fun when i throw the top back and am driving in a forested area or in town, where the sound echoes back and gives anyone walking down the sidewalk a jump

Thanks
    I like firing them off when going through an overpass. I’ve got the timing down pretty good. I seem to get maximum effect when I dump the throttle at about 3500 RPM, let the turbo spool up to maximum pressure, then immediately release the throttle.

Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramonto View Post
    Is it because I have the Automatic? (And I do not want to hear anyone say "why would anyone want an Automatic on an Abarth". After 13 years of Special Ops and Black Ops plus being over 65 I do not want to hear it. At this point Im just glad I remember which way to put my pants on.)
    Hah! No judgement friend. Buy what makes you happy, we're just glad that happened to be a FIAT.

Auto/Manual shouldn't matter. As others have said it's mostly about throttle lift off as boost is building or peaking. Simply put, you want unburnt fuel in the exhaust, however you can accomplish that should work fine.

That said, our ECUs are "smart" and will adapt to your driving style. The autos will probably also adjust shifts to match your style. If you try everything that's been posted here and still have no luck you could reset your ECU and drive balls out for 80 mi or whatever it takes to "teach" the ECU. (e.g. My ECU assumes that 50% throttle input is always going to be followed up with 100% input, so it ramps up fuelling pre-emptively.) There are certainly people that understand the ECU better than I do, I'm guessing here.

Personally I don't get decel crackles on my mostly stock Abarth, I blame the stock cat mostly. Closest I can get is burbles on low speed engine braking which turns heads at stoplights but I don't think is the same as what you are describing.

Final note: Intentionally making these noises makes your driving style a little erratic, which doesn't matter much while driving alone but your passengers might look at you a little funny. I've developed some weird/bad driving habits simply because they make fun noises in my Abarth. If you don't get crackles and pops part of the reason could be that you are driving normally. =P

Best of luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ando For This Useful Post:

Tramonto (04-16-2018)

Thanks
    2015 Auto here that I can get to pop just about whenever I want. I find greater success in Manual mode than in Auto, where in auto it is very seldom, but both in Sport mode. For me, shifting above 5,000 RPMs at full throttle tends to do it (especially, from 2nd to 3rd). Some of them can be quite loud and violent. Shifting below 5,000 RPMs, I rarely get them. Shifting close to redline for me, as well, tends to produce no afterfires. Decelerating and downshifting can bring the pops too. I always make sure the car is well warmed up before attempting.

Having said that, and while I do enjoy the pops/bangs/etc., it does seem like it has a minor impact on acceleration, or the perceivance of it. Maybe it isn't true and it just gives appearance of it, but it seems like acceleration of the car has a slightly longer pause between shifts when it afterfires than when I get no afterfires. Or maybe it's just because the moments of shifting that produce the best bangs/pops isn't really the optimal shift point. Or maybe it is still just as fast, and its that little extra kick you get in the next gear versus the wheezing out at the top end of the previous gear? Who knows...it's still fun to get it to make noise.

Could fuel type and quality increase/decrease the frequency of pops/bangs? I pretty much run just Shell V Power 93 in mine.
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth (Red Rosso, automatic)
    ATM FMIC
    GFB DV+ Diverter Valve
    Madness Maxflow Intake System
    Sila Concepts Thermal Blanket

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VirtualMirage For This Useful Post:

Ando (04-16-2018), Tramonto (04-16-2018)

Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualMirage View Post
    Could fuel type and quality increase/decrease the frequency of pops/bangs? I pretty much run just Shell V Power 93 in mine.
    I think higher octane would result in more afterfire, at least from my experience, and it seems logical enough. However I actually get lower efficiency with 93 pump vs 91 pure with no noticeable performance improvements other than fun sounds. Have never tried lower than 91... and never will.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    I think higher octane would result in more afterfire, at least from my experience, and it seems logical enough. However I actually get lower efficiency with 93 pump vs 91 pure with no noticeable performance improvements other than fun sounds. Have never tried lower than 91... and never will.
    I take it when you mean 91 pure, you are referring to Ethanol free gas?

I wish I had that option where I live. Here, pretty much all gas has up to 10% Ethanol. We don't have 91 either, it's only 87/89/93.
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth (Red Rosso, automatic)
    ATM FMIC
    GFB DV+ Diverter Valve
    Madness Maxflow Intake System
    Sila Concepts Thermal Blanket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast