500 Madness

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Creaking rear bar driving me crazy

Thanks

Creaking rear bar driving me crazy

I've had the Neu-F rear bar since summer, I just sent the following email to Neuspeed and got the following result. Can anyone be of more help please?

My email to Neuspeed: "I have your rear torsion bar on my 2015 Abarth. Love the stiffness it provides, but I've had one persistent problem... The bar keeps creaking. I removed it and took the paint off the contact points, reinstalled tight and the noise came back. Next I removed the bar and added blue loctite, and reinstalled tight but the noise came back. What will fix this? Red loctite maybe?"

Their Response:
    Loctite will not fix. The only time we have heard about the bar creak was the pinch bolt was not torqued high enough. We have had no problems when bolt was torqued to 140-150 ft. lbs.
    Regards,

NEUSPEED Team

NEUSPEED

3300 Corte Malpaso

Camarillo, CA 93012
    800 423-3623
    805 388-7171
    805 388-0030 Fax

www.neuspeed.com

www.neuspeedflowform.com

Thanks
    You can peen the bar at the ends to help prevent rotation, or as suggested and along with peening it, increase the torque value to the fasteners. It is creaking because it is not adequately clamped. Knurling or peening will increase the bite, as will tightening it a bit more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to streetsurfer For This Useful Post:

Jackie Moon (04-02-2018)

Thanks
    I have the same Neu-F rear bar and I had the same "creaking" problem (this was about three years ago, on my 2012 Abarth which I'm still driving now)

I got the same advice from the Neuspeed people, except that they also advised me to insure that the mating areas between the bar and pinches are absolutely clean, completely free of any substances. I removed, cleaned with rubbing alcohol and reinstalled, making sure the bolts were right at the upper end of the recommended torque range.

No problems since then.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ewflyer For This Useful Post:

Jackie Moon (04-02-2018)

Thanks
    i have no creaking, no noise on my Abarth with Neu-F rear bar, but on the other hand my frd has so much noise on his Abarth with the Neu-F bar. then we swap the bars and the problem still exit on his car and not on mine.

Thanks
    I never had an issue with mine. Heck when i traded the Abarth in all the bolts were rusted so just left it on. What torque are you using and are you using a good torque wrench?
    2016 FIAT 500X Plus - Magnaflow #19279 Exhaust (save your money not worth it) - 18" Matte Black Forgestar F14's - AEM Intake (save your money not worth it) - Madness Lowering Springs (awesome...love them)

Thanks
    I've had it tightened by two different individuals but still creaking.

Thanks
    This is what I would do: Take the bar completely off. Run some 100 grit sandpaper inside the bracket holes to clean them out. But only do a couple of revolutions around the hole. You only want to clean the holes out, not take off metal material. Then I would take a center punch and drive it into the ends of the bar that sit inside the bracket hole in about 4-6 places on each side. This will deform the metal enough (you should see the metal mushroom out from the center of the hole that you punch) to make it better grip the inside of the bracket hole. Put it back on and torque to the required setting plus 10 lbs. more. I don't have any problems with the one that I stalled. I took a wire wheel to the knurled ends before I installed it. You could try that as well, but it sounds like you already did.
    2017 Abarth Grigio Cenre SR | OEM 17s | Sprint Panel Filter | Seletron ChipBox | TMC Autoflash | 4C CPs | RRM Turbo Blanket | PCV Catch Can | X1/9 Spacers & Lugs | Neu-F Rear Bar | RRM & Corsa Forza Front Chassis Braces | 2" Steering Wheel Spacer

2013 Sport Argento SR - SOLD - | Many Mods

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lammie200 For This Useful Post:

Coopnjaxdad (04-03-2018), Jackie Moon (04-03-2018)

Thanks
    if you really want you can weld it.

Thanks
    Basically sounds like I need to create more friction on the parts of the bar that comes into contact with the clamps.

Thanks
    That what I was hoping they would say the red loctite would accomplish.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast