500 Madness

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's with high prices of 500e's lately?

Thanks

What's with high prices of 500e's lately?

I remember looking 6-8 months ago they were in the $6-7K range for 13's. Right now I see a bunch of 15's in the $12,000 to $13,000 range. Have values gone up over the winter?

Thanks
    Word got out, now everybody wants one...

Picked up my 2015 with 25k miles a month ago. Asking was 11,900. Paid $8,800, but added a $1500 Tier One warranty.

Heres the thing with anything for sale, ever:

They can ask 14k, a pint of blood, and your first born childs soul, but if there isnt a line of people waving fistfulls of cash, that asking price may as well be the moon. Check edmunds, kbb, nada, truecar, etc for value, print them out to take to the dealer, and have a firm highest price that you absolutely don't go over.

Do not give your trade in (if you have one) keys to anyone, or you'll be stuck without a ride as they try to hammer away at you. Be prepared to say thank you, but no thanks, and walk away.

I have had managers chase my car thru the parking lot 4 times in my life, for saying no thanks and walking out, including the 500e I just got. I have had them call me the next day asking me to come back in too many times to remember. When I car shop, I expect to walk out before I even go in. They play their games, I play mine. However, I have the money and can buy from any dealer I want, they can only sell to someone who's interested. That makes me in charge.

Believe me, you can get a 2015 with 20-28k miles for under 10k.

Happy hunting, and tell them Sammy sent you !!
    Dirty Blond
    (Filthy really)

Thanks
    Currently supply is low for both new and used 500e. A large number of 500e will be hitting the used market during the next month that should ease used prices. Exactly 3 years ago (March/April 2015) there was a large spike in leases driven by crazy low lease deals, and they are due for return from lease.

Thanks
    Yep, had that same info when I started looking. I see a number more available now, but not the reduced pricing I was expecting. Nevertheless, I used that info against the dealer and they came down to a reasonable price.

I had to have a hardtop for the hubby "Thor" to fit in, so when one came locally, I jumped. Cars price was 8800 i think. Could I save a couple hunderd and waited, maybe, but hard to find hardtops not around alot.
    Dirty Blond
    (Filthy really)

Thanks
    Ditto - I knew all the ones listed on all the various websites and all felt crazy high to me. I love my little 500e, but it's just not worth $15k or whatever else some of these folks are trying to get.

I had my price in mind (sub $10k) and factored in various other factors (location, condition, mileage, etc.) and emailed my price. Most dealers would immediately get back to me to say I was lowballing them, so I told them where I stood and that was that. Out of the 5 dealers I emailed, only 1 entertained my offer, countered with a reasonable number, so I bought it and it worked out great. About 2 weeks ago, I get an email out of the blue from one of the original dealers who "laughed" (over email) at me for my original offer asking if I was still interested at a slightly lower price. Told them to buzz off as I already got the car I wanted.

I think the 500e is REALLY tough to price right now with the various EV competition slowly starting to emerge. Between new and used Leaf's (different battery life/issues, I know), the Bolt and Model 3 starting to trickle out, the 500e can be simultaneously a good deal, but still a tiny city car.

Thanks
    I have wanted a Tesla for a couple years now. We decided a 500e would be a good test vehicle to see how we like the EV lifestyle. A month in now, Thor asked if I wanted to put the $1000 down and get on the Model 3 list.

I told him no, my next EV will probably be a 18 Fiat.

I know the Bolt, Mercedes and Tesla all have more range, but the 500e works well for us, and IMO, its the best looking and smile inducing EV still to date.

Of course, the Celest Blue ones are not only the best looking, but also the fastest, however, the other colors aren't too bad either...
    Dirty Blond
    (Filthy really)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Blond View Post
    I have wanted a Tesla for a couple years now. We decided a 500e would be a good test vehicle to see how we like the EV lifestyle. A month in now, Thor asked if I wanted to put the $1000 down and get on the Model 3 list.

I told him no, my next EV will probably be a 18 Fiat.

I know the Bolt, Mercedes and Tesla all have more range, but the 500e works well for us, and IMO, its the best looking and smile inducing EV still to date.

Of course, the Celest Blue ones are not only the best looking, but also the fastest, however, the other colors aren't too bad either...
    My wife loves the 500e. The spartan-retro interior, subcompact size, handling, and the range is just enough for her to make her 55 mile commute with 9-53% battery remaining. I've treated it as our starter-EV, with the prospects in getting a Tesla Model S in the future. However, the reliability and its potential for being a money-pit is a big concern of mine. One of our friends is an engineer for Tesla (he's spent 5 years working on the Model 3 and was 30-something in line), and I was meaning to ask him about all the revisions to the drive unit that the Model S has gone through. I'm not sure if the problem units were truly resolved or just swapped with drive units that will have the similar issues down the road. Tesla is far from transparent with their issues and resolutions, leaving many enthusiasts with their guesses and assumptions...mixed with their fandom.

I'll keep waiting to see who will make the next most reliable EV to have 180+ mile range before I start shopping again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maximizese View Post
    .......Tesla is far from transparent with their issues and resolutions, leaving many enthusiasts with their guesses and assumptions...mixed with their fandom. .
    Maximizese- This is the exact reason I swore off Iphones.

Really like the BMW I3 looks. If they can do that with a 200+ mile range, I'd jump on that.

I love my little Darby, so for now, I will concentrate on her. Maybe a nice set of lambo doors for her birthday in October...
    Dirty Blond
    (Filthy really)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Blond View Post
    Really like the BMW I3 looks. If they can do that with a 200+ mile range, I'd jump on that.
    Don't they have the range extender gas engine?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    Don't they have the range extender gas engine?
    Gas engine defeats the entire point.

Hybrids are a logical "stepping stone" in the advancement of electric vehicles, but not the goal. A number of 200+ mile EV's are out there, and with Tesla supercharging, a 500 mile trip is easily doable. Just a number of EV's look like crap. Tesla looks nice, but still reminds me of a toyota camry. The BMW looks awesome, but 114 mile electric range is about what I can pull from my 500e. If they remove the gas engine, add more batteries to the space, and get the BMW to 200+ miles, I'd consider that before the Tesla.
    Dirty Blond
    (Filthy really)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast